Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default My Big Break (Serious)

It seems like for the past year I've come to a dead-end on every path that I've planned out to start my career as a Fire Fighter. Whether it was joining the military or going to school, I was always too late or not "fit" to serve, until yesterday. I received a letter back containing information that my initial application for the position of FireFighter/EMT Trainee had be accepted and that I had a date to take the CWH and one for the CPAT orientation next month (5/15 and 5/18).

I've already started looking for books (some I already owned) and information on the internet to answer some of the questions I have. The ones I couldn't find, I've come to you to ask. Although the orientation for the CPAT is 30 days away and that the actual test won't be for probably a month after that, I've already started training.

I will put every ounce of energy that I have into preparing and training because I want to achieve this position more than anything. If I miss this chance it will be several months before my local volunteer department will be able to even interview me.

If anyone can give me some tips or pointers in general, it would be greatly appreciated. I've read through the basics, about showing up on time, wearing an appropriate suit, and I have a book coming in the mail tomorrow to help me with the interviewing process and the CPAT test.

A few extra questions I have thought of:
    1) How many people can I expect to compete with?
    - I know it's almost absurd to ask because the numbers can vary greatly, but when I called the woman said she couldn't remember how many people would be there, but she did say that they have several spots.

2) I don't really know how to state this into a question, but I'm extremely worried about experience. I feel that I will be no match to people with experience. I'm 19 and I pretty much applied to start volunteer fire fighting when I got out of High School (The department I am applying for to work at is in a different state then the department i applied to volunteer at). The only medical or First Responding Experience i have is a CPR Certification... Any thoughts/advice on this would be great.

Thanks for your time,

Sumner.

Forum Member

what state are you in?

what state are you going to test in??

How many carreer people does the dept have?

some people have to test at more then one dept, before they get hired.

check this site for advice::

http://www.eatstress.com/faq.htm

apparently the minimum requirements are age and high school diploma??? if so expect a lot of people to apply, depending on where you are located and testing

yes you may be competeing against people with experience, but that is not always a plus depending on the person. You just have to wow them on the orl interview.

do a search using cpat, and there are a lot of tips on how to get ready for it and what to expect.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    what state are you in?

what state are you going to test in??

How many carreer people does the dept have?

some people have to test at more then one dept, before they get hired.

check this site for advice::

http://www.eatstress.com/faq.htm

apparently the minimum requirements are age and high school diploma??? if so expect a lot of people to apply, depending on where you are located and testing

yes you may be competeing against people with experience, but that is not always a plus depending on the person. You just have to wow them on the orl interview.

do a search using cpat, and there are a lot of tips on how to get ready for it and what to expect.
    I live in SC right now, and I am applying in GA. I don't know how many career they have now, but that is a good thing to check. Yes, I have a HighSchool diploma and "some" college. I do understand that the oral interview is one of the most important, if not the most important, part of the process.

Forum Member

Although I applied for this position in December, I believe Atlanta was also taking applications during this time (I think they just extended it) so hopefully that will have detracted from the possible competitors.

Forum Member

Usually there is a cattle call , you see the same people testing

C41
    Forum Member

To piggyback off what Fire49 has mentioned, if it is a popular and great department to work for, you can expect a enormous turn out at the test. I've sat in small department tests of no more than 100 and also have sat in huge convention centers with almost 5000 people. The key is being as prepared as possible. Bing closer to 100% is better-I generally don't give it a second thought if I score under a 96% on a written- I just move on with life and prepare for the next test.

Thread Information