Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default continuing working full time and able to complete paramedic course?

So i've been working at a dept for about a year now and have emt basic but I really enjoy the medical side just as much as the fire side, I am wanting to go to medic school, my problem seems to be mos medic programs seem to be 8-12 months Mon-Fri, with clinicals on weekends, and nearest paramedic school to myself is 110 miles and in a diferrent state, nearest in state is 240 miles, ive heard of online courses but heard they arent good at all, so what would be the best decision? I wanna get my medic while im still young and can get financial aid, I also like my job and where im at though, although its not my dream department, whats my best choice on this one?

the more and more I search maybe it would be best if I stay at my current job and try to make paramedic school fit around my work schedule and do what I have to do to get it done? traveling a lot if necessay?
    Last edited by jamesh23; 04-18-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Forum Member

Look around and see if there are any shift based schools in your area. We have quite a few where i'm at. They let you go to school on an A,B,or C shift day. That way you can work it around your shift.

Forum Member

What state are you in ??

Have you checked any hospitals or ambulance service to see if they have a program

What would you do once you get paramedic??? Does your current dept use paramedic?

Forum Member

well im in a small town of less than 10,000, we run the fire dept/ambulance for all areas within about 30 miles because were the only one around, yes paramedic and ALS is highly sought after in my dept, I live in New Mexico, and once I got Paramedic my goal is to someday be in a big department as a firefighter/paramedic, to be honest im working in my hometown, I got lucky and got hired, but I just feel I can do more, like I honestly dont see myself being happy in this town if I stay, I love my job but thats the only thing I like.
    Last edited by jamesh23; 04-18-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Forum Member

Yea that is a tough one

New Mexico is kind of big with the major towns spread out

How have others gotten their paramedic on your dept??? Do they come there with it

Forum Member

we currently only have 2 paramedics, and one got it before he started working, and the other said it took him almost 3 years because he used trade days and sick leave to go to albuquerque for medic school

back and forth. I'm wanting my medic because not only do I love doing what I do, I also would enjoy the better pay and the increased ability to get hired on larger departments.

Forum Member

what about percomonline and nmetc? online classes where you fly out for the hands on portion? both have pretty good reviews just cost is an issue, colleges I can get financial aid, but one of these is 8000 the other is 5600 with payment plans which wouldnt be too bad I suppose

well nevermind, seems that percom is only good in texas
    Last edited by jamesh23; 04-18-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Forum Member

any other opnions?

Thread Information