Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Forum Member

I heard letters went out for a class in January. Anyone else heard anything?

Forum Member

That is correct. I'm in that class and there suppose to hire 67 in the next couple months. There classing to let ppl know not sending letters.

Forum Member

Their calling to let people know not sending letters*

Forum Member

Ok. Thanks for the info! Maybe there is some hope for me after all!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jray1737 View Post
    Ok. Thanks for the info! Maybe there is some hope for me after all!
    I would call up there and drop your name around to HQ. just so they know who you are.

Forum Member

Alright, thanks for the advice. Are you a medic too?

Forum Member

Yessir. I'm guessing you are too ? There's a pretty good chance that their gunna scoop all the medics up. Just sit tight , keep all your certs up and be patient. Definitely call up there like twice a month to keep getting an update on the whole process. The lady is really nice and always answered my questions. I swear I called up there like 2 a month for like 3 months lol.

Forum Member

It's ma'am lol. No I'm not a medic, idk why I put 'too'. I'll definitely be calling up there. I just want to be hired already!!! This waiting game is no fun.

Forum Member

From what I've heard, they plan on hiring everyone remaining on the current "band 1" list by mid 2014. One class starting in Jan, one class starting March/April, and the last class maybe around June/July. This is all rumor, but I've heard the same thing from a few good sources. The app process they opened in December is to establish a new list once the current one is expired.

Forum Member

Well that's awesome news. I called up there today to change my contact info and the lady who answered said that they are definitely having more classes this year but no set dates yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey all, have a couple of questions. What did the physical agility test consist of? If offered employment you have to go to Jacksonville probie fire academy? How long is the academy? Thanks

Forum Member

I'm not sure of the order exactly but here is what I remember..
    1. Hose drag
    2. High rise pack up the tower
    3. Pull a hose up through the window in the tower
    go back downstairs
    4. Push a ladder up against the wall and raise it
    5. Carry some equipment
    6. Sled
    7. Dummy drag

I feel like there is more but that's all I can remember at the moment. Maybe a maze? And you are wearing a weighted vest during this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jray1737 View Post
    I'm not sure of the order exactly but here is what I remember..
    1. Hose drag
    2. High rise pack up the tower
    3. Pull a hose up through the window in the tower
    go back downstairs
    4. Push a ladder up against the wall and raise it
    5. Carry some equipment
    6. Sled
    7. Dummy drag

I feel like there is more but that's all I can remember at the moment. Maybe a maze? And you are wearing a weighted vest during this.
    Cool, thanks for the info. Any idea on how many the city is planning on hiring?

Forum Member

No. But I do know this whole process takes forever! So be patient.

Forum Member

Hey just checking in to see if anyone has heard any more recent info on the hiring classes or any news good or bad at all in the last month or so? I was in the class that applied last year back in late Jan/ early February 2013. Was put into Band 1 as an EMT with no military background, recieved my band letter a couple months or so ago. Hoping to have a shot, would be thrilled to work for JFRD. Thanks for any info that anyone can provide!

Forum Member

I'm in the recruit class going on now of 36 recruits. It's six weeks long Tuesday- Friday 8-5 and on weekends we ride 24 hour shifts. There is another class of 30 or so recruits that are being fitted for uniforms now and will start after this class is over. I've heard that they may hire another class this year but that is just rumors. I know that there are a lot of people retiring in the next couple years so I'm positive that they will be hiring every year for the time being. Just keep your certs up to date and if you have a question about the hiring process just call up headquarters and ask. Firefighter Gallman, the recruiter, is a very nice lady and will happily update you on what is going on with hiring.

Forum Member

Awesome thanks for that info, and congrats, do you have any idea on the class waiting to start after yours if they are medics/vets and better yet do you know what application process they were in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by burnbaby70 View Post
    I'm in the recruit class going on now of 36 recruits. It's six weeks long Tuesday- Friday 8-5 and on weekends we ride 24 hour shifts. There is another class of 30 or so recruits that are being fitted for uniforms now and will start after this class is over. I've heard that they may hire another class this year but that is just rumors.
    Burnbaby, congrats on making the class. Are you a medic or prior millitary? I have a few friends who are in the class with you.

Forum Member

Congrats to everyone that has been hired.

Does anyone know how the fiscal year 2015 is looking for hiring? or Just 2015 in general? I know some have said that there are going to be retirements over the next couple of years. Also, I understand it looks like there may be 1 or 2 more classed this year after the March class. Was hoping to get some insight from someone that may be in the loop or recently hired who may be hearing different rumors from the training division.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Yeah I am a medic not a vet though. There's like 15 emts in my class too that aren't vets either. And the class after me I know a couple emts that aren't vets either. I'm pretty sure that they will have to keep hiring for a couple years. This class tht there about to hire after me is the first to be hired off there budget. Mine and the class before were hiring off the safer grant. So they got money to spend on recruits.

Thread Information