MembersZone Subscriber

Hey all, have a couple of questions. What did the physical agility test consist of? If offered employment you have to go to Jacksonville probie fire academy? How long is the academy? Thanks

Forum Member

I'm not sure of the order exactly but here is what I remember..
    1. Hose drag
    2. High rise pack up the tower
    3. Pull a hose up through the window in the tower
    go back downstairs
    4. Push a ladder up against the wall and raise it
    5. Carry some equipment
    6. Sled
    7. Dummy drag

I feel like there is more but that's all I can remember at the moment. Maybe a maze? And you are wearing a weighted vest during this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jray1737 View Post
    I'm not sure of the order exactly but here is what I remember..
    1. Hose drag
    2. High rise pack up the tower
    3. Pull a hose up through the window in the tower
    go back downstairs
    4. Push a ladder up against the wall and raise it
    5. Carry some equipment
    6. Sled
    7. Dummy drag

I feel like there is more but that's all I can remember at the moment. Maybe a maze? And you are wearing a weighted vest during this.
    Cool, thanks for the info. Any idea on how many the city is planning on hiring?

Forum Member

No. But I do know this whole process takes forever! So be patient.

Forum Member

Hey just checking in to see if anyone has heard any more recent info on the hiring classes or any news good or bad at all in the last month or so? I was in the class that applied last year back in late Jan/ early February 2013. Was put into Band 1 as an EMT with no military background, recieved my band letter a couple months or so ago. Hoping to have a shot, would be thrilled to work for JFRD. Thanks for any info that anyone can provide!

Forum Member

I'm in the recruit class going on now of 36 recruits. It's six weeks long Tuesday- Friday 8-5 and on weekends we ride 24 hour shifts. There is another class of 30 or so recruits that are being fitted for uniforms now and will start after this class is over. I've heard that they may hire another class this year but that is just rumors. I know that there are a lot of people retiring in the next couple years so I'm positive that they will be hiring every year for the time being. Just keep your certs up to date and if you have a question about the hiring process just call up headquarters and ask. Firefighter Gallman, the recruiter, is a very nice lady and will happily update you on what is going on with hiring.

Forum Member

Awesome thanks for that info, and congrats, do you have any idea on the class waiting to start after yours if they are medics/vets and better yet do you know what application process they were in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by burnbaby70 View Post
    I'm in the recruit class going on now of 36 recruits. It's six weeks long Tuesday- Friday 8-5 and on weekends we ride 24 hour shifts. There is another class of 30 or so recruits that are being fitted for uniforms now and will start after this class is over. I've heard that they may hire another class this year but that is just rumors.
    Burnbaby, congrats on making the class. Are you a medic or prior millitary? I have a few friends who are in the class with you.

Forum Member

Congrats to everyone that has been hired.

Does anyone know how the fiscal year 2015 is looking for hiring? or Just 2015 in general? I know some have said that there are going to be retirements over the next couple of years. Also, I understand it looks like there may be 1 or 2 more classed this year after the March class. Was hoping to get some insight from someone that may be in the loop or recently hired who may be hearing different rumors from the training division.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Yeah I am a medic not a vet though. There's like 15 emts in my class too that aren't vets either. And the class after me I know a couple emts that aren't vets either. I'm pretty sure that they will have to keep hiring for a couple years. This class tht there about to hire after me is the first to be hired off there budget. Mine and the class before were hiring off the safer grant. So they got money to spend on recruits.

Forum Member

alright cool, guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Do you know if most of your class (specially the EMTS) had experience working with another department?

Forum Member

Do you know how many people are in your class and the next class?
    Last edited by Jray1737; 04-22-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Forum Member

bump.........

Forum Member

Next class starts in April from what I hear. Last recruit class just graduated on Friday.

Forum Member

Anyone hear about the next background and polygraph time frame? Possibly May to be selected for a July start? Anyone have input? Thanks.

Forum Member

More polygraphs and backgrounds are being held this month. Anyone know how many more classes are to be put on? Any time frame? I heard there is a July class? Thanks.

Forum Member

One starts next week and one in July I'm pretty sure

Forum Member

Anyone else going to the pre-polygraph background scheduled for April 26th? How soon after pre-polygraph background is the actual polygraph given? Any dates? I heard those finishing process now might to eligible for the July selection? Any truth in that?

Forum Member

I got my actual polygraph date on the day of the pre-polygraph. And my polygraph was like 2 months after the pre-polygraph. But I know others had it as soon as like a week or so later.

Forum Member

I interviewed and was placed in band 1 in December. I have spoken with the recruiter and she says there are 276 candidates in Band 1 and are continuing to add more. If someone knows something different. More info would be much appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rscan View Post
    I interviewed and was placed in band 1 in December. I have spoken with the recruiter and she says there are 276 candidates in Band 1 and are continuing to add more. If someone knows something different. More info would be much appreciated.
    That sounds about right. I was placed in Band 1 last July/August. They are just adding more to Band 1 with everyone else that goes through the process.

Forum Member

So with so many people in Band 1 chances of getting picked up for the initial 60+ they needed are probably pretty low??? By now that need has probably been met??? Anyone know how many of the 60+ are filled? How many more classes? Was told that once banded it will be good for 4 years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cabbens View Post
    So with so many people in Band 1 chances of getting picked up for the initial 60+ they needed are probably pretty low??? By now that need has probably been met??? Anyone know how many of the 60+ are filled? How many more classes? Was told that once banded it will be good for 4 years.
    The 60 from the safer grant have been filled. The class that started in Feb was from the safer grant and a class just started this past Monday was from the safer grant also. So that is done. The city says they are still planning on hiring a class later this year. So that will be another 30+ spots if they go through with it.

Forum Member

How do they determine where you rank on band 1 once you finish your polygraph and everything. I know it's all based on your point total, but it's obvious that many will tie point totals. I'm waiting till next year to be eligible, i was honest with my pre-polygraph, and was suspended for a period of time. It's concerning seeing so many hires already this year...makes me concerned the hiring rate next year and year after will slow. Congrats to all who got picked up. Life long dream to work for the city, at least I have a dept job already though.

Forum Member

Does anybody know if you are selected for july's class when you should be receiving a letter for selection? As well as future recruiting classes after July thanks.

Thread Information