Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Jacksonville Fire Department

So anyone know what is going on?
    I got a background packet from them to fill out. Anyone know anything about them. As in how many they are hiring.

I do understand they serve the biggest city in Florida and they are just as big as MDFR.

Anyone now anything else about them?

regards

Forum Member

When did they open up?

Forum Member

i applied and received a packet as well. I don't know how many they are hiring but Im pretty sure they haven't hired in a while.

Forum Member

It would be nice to know. I do know they are a great place to work for. If they haven't hired in a while and they are such a big department. It must be a lot of positions. I city like that is not going to spend the money for only a few spots. I wouldn't think at least.

Forum Member

I completed my background package and turned it in a few weeks ago. I have heard several different stories from people on the dept. Bottom line is they are looking at putting together a hiring list for future hirings. No "official" word on when that will be though. They have already hired one small class. This was a group they were supposed to hire a few years ago and couldn't, due to the budget. But that group had already completed their background, interviews, and physicals.

From what i'm hearing this list will be good for a few years and they are looking at possibably one more class late this year, one early to mid next year, and one late next year.

I've also heard the first class will be prior military only, the 2nd class will be all medics, and the third class will be EMT's. I'm sure that is subject to change, but that's the story I have heard from a few officers and current employees. So we will see what happens.

Forum Member

Yea I sent my packet in as well. I wonder if they are going to give preference to those of us who are already working as FF/medics for other departments. For experience and what not.

Forum Member

It won't get you any "preference" points, but it will certainly help when it comes down to experience and training. The only "preference" points JFRD gives out is to millitary vetrans and current city of Jax employees.

But if what I hear is right about medics being all that are hired for one of the classes, it will certainly help there. I'm still in medic school, so it may help me down the road. It just depends on how soon they are looking to start classes :-)

Forum Member

Thats friggin awesome...we will just have to wait and see then.

Forum Member

Any idea on how long the process is going to take?

Forum Member

More then likely it will be a few months long. They are just working on putting together a few lists to hire from. But things seem to be moving along. The paperwork has been going out to those that applied. It sounds like they have been sending it out in the order that people applied. I'm sure once all the paperwork is in, then they will start scheduling for the PT test. Then interviews once all of the PT tests are done.

Forum Member

Hey does anyone have any information about what is going on?

Forum Member

Nothing as of yet. Lots of rumors going around, but nothing solid. I would imagine they are waiting to receive a specific number of packets back before scheduling PT tests.

Forum Member

Just got my letter in the mail for my interview. Anyone else hear anything?

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything yet. When is your interview?

Forum Member

First week in July.

Forum Member

From what I have heard, they are sending out interview letters alphabetically.

Forum Member

Is there a phone number on the letter you got? I moved and for some reason the postal service hasn't been sending mail to my new address.

Forum Member

Check on the city of Jax webpage under Fire employment. There is an email address for the Firefighter in charge of recruitment. She is the one you would want to contact to update your address and check on the status of your letter.

Forum Member

Has anyone that has received a letter for interview been an EMT? Or are you all medics? Any other word on the interview progress and how the process is going? Thanks.

Forum Member

I am a FF/EMT and I had my interview recently. I've had friends who are medics and EMT's that have both gotten letters for interviews. As far as I know interviews are still going on this week. I don't know much past that.

Thread Information