MembersZone Subscriber

Default lifepak narrative

Im looking for ideas for a lifepak 15 narrative for the fall. Can trade several winning narratives. Contact via email.

Forum Member

You cannot ask for funding for "a Lifepak 15".

You CAN ask for funding to allow the purchase of a fully automated monitor defibrillator with NIBP, ETC02 monitoring with waveform display, 12 lead ECG capable SPO2 monitoring, set up as an AED and advanced manual defibrillator complete with carry case and batteries with base charger station.

MembersZone Subscriber

thank you very much

Forum Member

Islandfire03, I would have to respectfully disagree. I have in my hand a grant narrative award from 2009 for Phillips brand specific monitors/defibrillators.

Also in 2003, I wrote a grant and was awarded for specific brand of SCBA.

Forum Member

In 2003 you could do a lot of things that have been fine tuned in the PG.
    But as Kurt teaches and the PG states : You cannot state a specific brand of equipment unless there is a interoperability reason to do so. Generic is what they want to see so they don't give funding to a specific manufacturer.
    In most areas there is only one sales rep for airpacks or defibrilator manufacturers , so you would not be able to get competitive bids. Airpacks have a set funding level and the manufacturers and reps know what it is so they will bring in their bid at that price or below.
    Yes there are exceptions made but it is not the rule.

I've seen many apps with a specific name brand used get a DJ at both the computer and peer level, so just going by the teachings of Kurt , Brian, & others who are more knowledgeable than I.

If you are requesting funding for a single Defib in a system that has multiple other units, then it's obvious you would want to go with the same brand for compatibility. If your going out to buy all new units then you would need to show that you at least made an attempt of an open bidding process that can be documented and shown if the program auditors show up at your station.

your mileage may vary.

Forum Member

B. Procurement Integrity

Through audits conducted by the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the AFG Program Office grant monitoring, findings have shown that some AFG recipients have not adhered, or are not totally adhering, to the proper procurement requirements when spending grant funds. Anything less than full compliance with federal procurement policies jeopardizes the integrity of the grant as well as the grant program. Below, we have reiterated the federal procurement requirements for fire departments and EMS organizations grantees when buying goods and services with federal grant funds. DHS will include a review of grantees’ procurement practices as part of the normal monitoring activities.

Specifications: When creating your bid specifications, and prior to being sent to the prospective bidders, you should ensure the following:

• Bids and specifications are not proprietary to any one product or manufacturer.
    • Product information is obtained from vendors in order to be more informed about the items they plan to purchase.
    • Specifications obtained from vendors for any solicitation with federal grant funds are not used if the specifications would be found to be restrictive.

Note: Grantees who fail to fully document their purchases may find their expenditures questioned and subsequently disallowed.
    Last edited by SLY4420; 06-04-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Forum Member

thanks sly: Thats what I was referencing.

Thread Information