Like Tree2Likes

Thread: City of Charleston sc hiring 2013

Forum Member

Im heading down on a train from Virginia. Im getting to Charleston at 5am tomorrow morning. I need some time to kill between 5am and noon. Anyone have any recommendations for that. Also, after the test until 9:30 that night I will be wandering until the train leaves to take me back home. Restaurants, sites, anything that will keep me occupied.

Forum Member

Theres a little tiny cafe, i think its called meeting street cafe or something, its on a corner. Looks like a run down quik mart but they sell killer crepes, and also on the main drag (which can kill most of your time just walking around) theres hymens (tourist spot but great food) and an oyster bar which if i recall has an afternoon oyster happy hour, like half off. Other than that just walking around donwtown and hitting the pier and some local joints is worthwhile. Maybe stop by a station or something...

Forum Member

Took my test this morning...way easier than the last cwh test i took...to anyone about to take it. The building is a little tricky to find. Near the end of geoege street (going away from the water) theres a big iron gate on the right. Its through there on the right. Luckily i ran into another lost tester and we found it...just a heads up to give ample time to park and walk...other than that good luck! 20 didnt show for my set so that narrows down the comp even more!

Forum Member

I was told this morning by a capt at one of the stations I stopped in at that only 170 applied. Rumors are flying but regardless I'm happy with my chances. I'm heading to the test site now.

Forum Member

Well 50 people exactly in the afternoon session. Not sure how many didn't show

Forum Member

Tested this morning, around 60 people were there. The proctor said 35 no shows yesterday.

Forum Member

If you didnt see the email by chance, looks like notifications will be sent out on the 25th...

Forum Member

Forum Member

Excellent video, thank you for posting this.

Forum Member

Great video, looks like cfd is taking some great steps forward. Whats your thoughts coming from the inside cfd11?

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

I would have loved to have tested with Charleston both last and this year but the pay while you're in the academy is not practical for anyone who has established their life and needs to support more than just themselves. Even a single person would have a pretty rough go at it for $8 an hour. It's a great opportunity for the younger guys fresh out of high school with little to no financial responsibilities. This is also why their testing numbers are so low. I know everyone I mentioned the test to replied more or less the same. "I can't afford to take the job?" If you can swing 26 weeks at just a tick over minimum wage it's a great opportunity because the competition is so low unlike their neighboring city of Charlotte where you're competing against 1,800 to 2,000 other applicants.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CFD11 View Post
    My thoughts are as the same as last testing cycle the guys are great, the pay is not and Charleston is expensive to live so be prepared to live in Berkeley or Dorchester county or be broke. We don't have a lot of fire and thats about it.
    Whats the average fire load?

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Scored in the top 130, moving on...going the 8th and 9th!

MembersZone Subscriber

does anyone have any idea what the PAT consists of? They didn't include that information.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pfd430 View Post
    does anyone have any idea what the PAT consists of? They didn't include that information.
    Yea they did. There is a video you can watch. Its a test from California. Im having a ton of questions that it didnt answer. How many swings for the ventilation, how far of a hose drag, victim drag etc.

Seems a lot for 10 minutes especially if its a continuous timing like the CPAT. Either way, im going to be doing some time trials at my station on monday and see what we got.

Forum Member

I have a few questions as well....expecially why the interview should last an hour and a half? Ive never sat in an interview that long. Does anyone know of the format regarding interview? B-pad, regular panel, situational?

Forum Member

I heard the interview is very formal. Also, they may be incorporating a wait time plus several papers to fill out for the background check if you move on.

MembersZone Subscriber

Also, Does anyone know the pay steps for Firefighter, LT, Capt, Chief?

Forum Member

Does anyone know if this a different job posting or a continuation of the May 3rd cut off?

http://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=7a7...aign=affiliate

Forum Member

That's James Island, which is part of Charleston County, not the City of Charleston. When I worked Medic 4 on the Island, the James Island guys looked pretty happy and upbeat, Smiley and the gang. They didn't appear to be particularly busy, and some guys would work 72 hrs straight, which was no problem, since they didn't get up at night too much. That was in 2008, though.

James Island is right outside of the city, just north of Folly Beach.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by O501 View Post
    That's James Island, which is part of Charleston County, not the City of Charleston. When I worked Medic 4 on the Island, the James Island guys looked pretty happy and upbeat, Smiley and the gang. They didn't appear to be particularly busy, and some guys would work 72 hrs straight, which was no problem, since they didn't get up at night too much. That was in 2008, though.

James Island is right outside of the city, just north of Folly Beach.
    Thanks for the info. Do you think it would be particularly difficult for a Medic to get hired on? I haven't got the slightest clue what the market is like up in SC, I live down in FL at the moment.

Forum Member

Has anyone practiced the agility test?

Forum Member

I have done it before, it's also called the biddle, its used by a few southern california fire departments. It is harder than the CPAT. The hardest event in my opinion is the hose hoist at the end.

Thread Information