Like Tree2Likes

Thread: City of Charleston sc hiring 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bnilsson View Post
    I have done it before, it's also called the biddle, its used by a few southern california fire departments. It is harder than the CPAT. The hardest event in my opinion is the hose hoist at the end.
    Did you have the same time limit? And did you make it under time?

Forum Member

Yep, same order of events, same time standard. I did it in around 7:20.

Forum Member

Smprfi0231, are you taking the PAT this Saturday?

Forum Member

Yes I am. Should be interesting

Forum Member

What time? I'll be there too.

Forum Member

5am. Where are you staying?

Forum Member

Damn thats early lol, mine is scheduled for 10am and I'm staying with my bro, he lives in North Charleston.

Forum Member

Yea tell me about it. Driving in from Northern VA the night before . I'll beat the heat though.

Forum Member

That drives gonna suck, I made the drive last time from Jersey and i'll never do that again lol.
    Did you get an E-mail last night about having to call a number and check to see if there still doing your PAT?

Forum Member

That drives gonna suck, I made the drive last time from Jersey and i'll never do that again lol.
    Did you get an E-mail last night about having to call a number and check to see if there still doing your PAT?

Forum Member

Yea. Storm has already passed through the city and is hitting northern VA right now so shouldn't be an issue.

Forum Member

Good luck to everyone testing this weekend for the PAT and the interview, the average time that you need to get on the PAT is 12 minutes, for those that haven't heard yet. This physical exam is a mere tiny percentage of the physical effort that you will have to put in during the academy, so if you haven't already, start training....heavily

Forum Member

So how does everyone feel about the test and the interview?

Forum Member

I BEAT IT! lol

Forum Member

Yea. I liked the test. It was truly firefighter based and I think showed a lot of people how to pace themselves. Rumor is that 13 people didn't pass the agility test yesterday and I know one of the guys who was supposed to be at my interview time slot didn't show up. So right there is 14 out of 130 out of the process.

Forum Member

HR didnt give a number, but said more than expected didnt show for interview either..

Forum Member

Seems like it might be more of a 50/50 chance

Forum Member

Just throwing out for opinions. At 9/hr for the academy. With south Carolina deductions and taxes that equals out to around 1275 take home. Assuming about half of that would be towards rent/housing how do you plan on making things work with a vehicle payment etc? Just curious on opinions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by smprfi0231 View Post
    Just throwing out for opinions. At 9/hr for the academy. With south Carolina deductions and taxes that equals out to around 1275 take home. Assuming about half of that would be towards rent/housing how do you plan on making things work with a vehicle payment etc? Just curious on opinions.
    Very good question...ive still had my doubts on how ill make the move...

Forum Member

yeah 9/hr is not anything you can live on, especially if you plan on living in Charleston County..

Forum Member

I am a little confused on this though, How is this an entry lvl posistion, yet people are able to do testing when they are already employed by other fire departments.. doesnt seem very entry lvl to me when i have to compete against people who know and what to expect
    Last edited by c0d3x5; 06-10-2013 at 09:19 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by c0d3x5 View Post
    I am a little confused on this though, How is this an entry lvl posistion, yet people are able to do testing when they are already employed by other fire departments.. doesnt seem very entry lvl to me when i have to compete against people who know and what to expect
    Bahahaha Ok this definitely made me laugh. But seriously. I have a truck a bike and a cell phone. All that alone runs just shy of the take home for payments. Realistically I gotta get rid of the bike. And my dog which I really don't want to and even with all that the local homeless camp is looking close to affordable.

Forum Member

Copy of the current pay plan for anyone interested

http://sc-charleston.civicplus.com/d...nter/view/1501
    Last edited by smprfi0231; 06-11-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by smprfi0231 View Post
    Are you saying 1275 a month or each pay cycle? Because you will not be getting that for a pay cycle.
    Also, the 9 an hour is rough, but people do it, several guys in the last class had families and made it work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PickHead54 View Post
    Are you saying 1275 a month or each pay cycle? Because you will not be getting that for a pay cycle.
    Also, the 9 an hour is rough, but people do it, several guys in the last class had families and made it work.
    Yes I was saying 1275/month. I dont doubt people do it...just curious their situations ie. car payments? fuel, food, where they were living etc. The room shares I was looking at people seem to want a minimum of 500/month for a room...thats almost half of your monthly pay.

Thread Information