Like Tree2Likes

Thread: City of Charleston sc hiring 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by smprfi0231 View Post
    Yes I was saying 1275/month. I dont doubt people do it...just curious their situations ie. car payments? fuel, food, where they were living etc. The room shares I was looking at people seem to want a minimum of 500/month for a room...thats almost half of your monthly pay.
    The easiest way to do it is get a couple roomates from the academy, if you're single. Obviously if you have family or a wife it will be a little harder. Places to live where you would get that best bang for your buck would be West Ashley or even some parts of North Charleston. Other areas like James Island and downtown obviously are more expensive. Goose Creek and Summerville will h e decent rates, you're jut a little farther out.
    You definitely will be living pay check to pay check while you're in the academy no matter what you do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PickHead54 View Post
    The easiest way to do it is get a couple roomates from the academy, if you're single. Obviously if you have family or a wife it will be a little harder. Places to live where you would get that best bang for your buck would be West Ashley or even some parts of North Charleston. Other areas like James Island and downtown obviously are more expensive. Goose Creek and Summerville will h e decent rates, you're jut a little farther out.
    You definitely will be living pay check to pay check while you're in the academy no matter what you do.
    Sorry for getting this down to barney style but need all the help I can get to plan out ahead of time...Assuming you have done all that you recommended...how do you recommend networking with those guys before moving down there/starting because I assume you would want to move in before the first day if you're coming from out of state.

Also, for the vets, look into the Post 9/11 GI Bill for housing allowance. Its authorized for OJT.

Forum Member

Sorry for getting this down to barney style but need all the help I can get to plan out ahead of time...Assuming you have done all that you recommended...how do you recommend networking with those guys before moving down there/starting because I assume you would want to move in before the first day if you're coming from out of state.

Also, for the vets, look into the Post 9/11 GI Bill for housing allowance. Its authorized for OJT.
    If and when you come down for your medical exam is the best time to just start talking to te other guys about renting a place because a majority of them will also be moving here the first time. Also, the last class started a Facebook page an Teran from HR sent out the link to everyone on the list. It's just another way to get into contact with everyone

Forum Member

If and when you come down for your medical exam is the best time to just start talking to te other guys about renting a place because a majority of them will also be moving here the first time. Also, the last class started a Facebook page an Teran from HR sent out the link to everyone on the list. It's just another way to get into contact with everyone
    Yea the big IF is what Im planning for. Renting my house is my biggest obstacle and thats what Im trying to get ahead of. But thanks a lot for the info and I really like the idea about the FB page.

Forum Member

Word is out, check you email.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bnilsson View Post
    Word is out, check you email.
    Yep got mine, Top 40! Anyone get anything saying they were in the top 32?

Forum Member

From why I hear they only tell you if you did or did not make it in the top 40. If you call up HR they may tell you, however they usually burn through people with these last few steps so even if you're an alternate you're chances are extremely good as long as you are squared away

Forum Member

From why I hear they only tell you if you did or did not make it in the top 40. If you call up HR they may tell you, however they usually burn through people with these last few steps so even if you're an alternate you're chances are extremely good as long as you are squared away
    Ok going out on a limb and assuming you are somehow connected/familiar with the dept? (Regardless, much appreciated for all info) What would be the reasoning for burning through people? Just people not interested, not showing up? Or do the last steps really push people off?

Forum Member

No rank here either, but stoked to make the cut! They seem to have taken down the PDF on the hr website, anyone remember what's after the HOBET? Medical and psych if I remember correctly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bnilsson View Post
    No rank here either, but stoked to make the cut! They seem to have taken down the PDF on the hr website, anyone remember what's after the HOBET? Medical and psych if I remember correctly.
    Yes, likely an NFPA Medical physical, drug test, background check and psych eval.

Forum Member

Ok going out on a limb and assuming you are somehow connected/familiar with the dept? (Regardless, much appreciated for all info) What would be the reasoning for burning through people? Just people not interested, not showing up? Or do the last steps really push people off?
    Background checks and medicals usually knock off a couple of people. The main reason I think is people can't make the move here in the short time, thats my opinion, since a good number of the people aren't from the area.

Forum Member

Gotcha that makes sense. Also I got a response about rank. We will find out Monday if we are in the top 32

Forum Member

http://www.local61.com/index.cfm

That's the department's local 61 website with a little bit of information about the department and the city.

Forum Member

Made the cut as well...really anxious to see where i stand though.

Forum Member

Anybody know anything about the psych exam?

Forum Member

From what I've been told question's range from 800 to 1800 question's. It takes hours but a lot of times the question's are asked the same just in a different fashion (what is your favorite sport? What sport do you watch the most?) mainly to see if you answer the same. Again this is all hearsay so take it as you will.

Forum Member

Anyone find out ranks yet? If so did you call, or did they email it to you?

Forum Member

I havent heard anything. Not sure if its a hold up or what...but if I dont hear anything by tomorrow, Im gonna make a call.

Forum Member

I called this morning...she said well know today...like you said semperfi, maybe a hold up.

Forum Member

On a separate note...IF (keep in mind the IF) what are your intentions for living? I have been doing a lot of research into the lovely world of Craigslist for houses to rent because I am TRYING to bring my dog down. Houses are pretty cheap to rent depending on the area, some are 3-4BR and renting for 1200-1400...do the math right you're looking around 400/month if you fill the bedrooms. Are you guys looking to live like a huge frat house? haha Might be nice to do ride shares to class everyday and kinda help each other out and keep each other in line.

Forum Member

I've been looking at that as well, It seems like the best option, both in terms of cost and studying etc. hopefully we'll find out soon.
    terrible one likes this.

Forum Member

On a separate note...IF (keep in mind the IF) what are your intentions for living? I have been doing a lot of research into the lovely world of Craigslist for houses to rent because I am TRYING to bring my dog down. Houses are pretty cheap to rent depending on the area, some are 3-4BR and renting for 1200-1400...do the math right you're looking around 400/month if you fill the bedrooms. Are you guys looking to live like a huge frat house? haha Might be nice to do ride shares to class everyday and kinda help each other out and keep each other in line.
    I would be down except i have a wife....sooo that wouldnt work out lol. But as far as riding together goes, if i end up near someone else im totally down with carpooling and saving some gas...

Forum Member

I'm in the top 32

Forum Member

Same here. Good job semperfi.

Forum Member

Thanks. You too. I wonder how long after the screenings we will have to wait for a final offer.

Thread Information