Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: City of Charleston sc hiring 2013

Forum Member

Just got an email from hr saying I'm in the top 32! They didn't say a number rank, not that it really matters. The email also said physicals/psych/drug screen is sometime between 7/1-7/3.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bnilsson View Post
    Just got an email from hr saying I'm in the top 32! They didn't say a number rank, not that it really matters. The email also said physicals/psych/drug screen is sometime between 7/1-7/3.
    Good job nilsson...hopefully all the screenings go well for us all

Forum Member

Judging by how long I heard the psych evaluation takes. Be prepared to be down there both days.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XjonboyX View Post
    Good job nilsson...hopefully all the screenings go well for us all
    Thanks jonboy! Yeah hopefully everything will go smoothly for everyone, the psych doesn't sound too pleasant.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bnilsson View Post
    Thanks jonboy! Yeah hopefully everything will go smoothly for everyone, the psych doesn't sound too pleasant.
    Yea im actually really nervous about it. Ive never taken one, so im a little anxious.

Forum Member

Just be prepared for a lot of question's and we will all be shaking hands and grabbing beers on August 5th.
    tashe9699 likes this.

Forum Member

Hey everyone, I also have made the top 32 and would be moving from the NW by myself and would be interested in renting a room at a house or apartment during the academy.

Forum Member

Good stuff man! Congrats, Im gonna start emailing people that are renting and going to look at them when Im down there. For you, and anyone else interested in renting a house, shoot me an email at corey.hansonusmc@gmail.com and maybe we can pick a night to go out and look at houses so we can have an idea of location and if thats something that would be doable.

Forum Member

Congrats on everyone who made it to the next step, if ya'll would like to PM me with any questions/concerns, etc feel free

MembersZone Subscriber SC2Tennessee's Avatar

I made it as well. See you guys soon.

Forum Member

Guys, and maybe some girls, I receiver several questions about the academy, training, etc so I'm just going to post them:

1) What will the already certified EMT recruits do while waiting on the rest of the class to finish EMT?
    2) What schedule are we looking at for class? OT possible?
    3) How long with the academy be? I heard 6 months just confirming.
    4) Are we getting bare basics? (Fire 1/2, HMO, EVOC) Or will we get tech rescue, Haz Mat Tech etc? Also, is there pay incentives for having Tech rescue, Haz Mat tech etc?
    5) When finished will we have any choice in choosing what stations/companies we are assigned to? (Honor grad gets his/her pick etc)
    6) Is there any specfic place in the area that we should avoid living? What will make the commute easiest?

Okay so,
    1. This is just rumor, but wor is the chief wants to have those who are already EMT certified get on the line sooner, so during the EMT part of the academy (which would naturally be at the end) the recruits with their cert would move to the line......again, just a rumor and I would be surprised if it happened like this. If it doesn't happen you just simply sit through the class.
    2. Class is was usually 7-4 or 5. They might be starting this class earlier in the day to combat the heat, again I'm not 100%. However, it will equate to roughly 90 hours a pay cycle (every two weeks) so 10 hours OT. Whe. You start your rides longs with fire and EMS you'll he additional OT.
    3. The last academy was just short of six months, plan to possibly be there up until Christmas.
    4. You will receive EMT-B, Fund. of FF(SC only cert) FF1/2 HazMat Op's, EVDT, auto extrication, NIMS, building construction, Rescue the Rescuer, and RIT...there might be some others. Once you're on the line for a year? I think, you can put in to be on speciality teams (HazMat, tech minimum, or USAR and these speciality teams come with a 5% raise.
    5. No, the class Battlipn leader can usually pick were they want to go, that's about it.
    6. Be careful with west Ashley, there's some good places and not so good places. Stay out of north Charleston unless you're up near Sunmerville or Goode Creek, and even then be careful, some parts of downtown, but honestly, you won't be able to afford living there!

Forum Member

That's what I was thinking. Just joining the forum here...glad I did. I got the offer and am coming down on the 1st. I'm thinking it would be wise for a bunch of us to go in on a place together, especially on $9 an hour. I'd even be happy sleeping on a couch for a while if it was affordable. Ride sharing, studying, everything else would be smoother if a bunch of us went in on a place together. Just my thoughts. I'm coming from VT, so this time frame is a little tight.

Forum Member

Also, to answer the second part of six, living anywhere with close access to the highway would be best, so near 26 or 526 but as long as your within charleston the ride won't be too bad, 17 in west Ashley gets busy but you'll be commuting before rush hour.
    I agree with people splitting a place to live, that's how I did it, I'm staying at a place in North Charleston, if you would like some info about the place and areas around here just PM me

Forum Member

AWESOME replies to the questions. I honestly thought EMT would be at the beginning of the class and we would be on working parties cleaning up the academy. I like the other option of getting out sooner but like you said Ill take it as a rumor.

You mentioned ride alongs...how does that work?

Forum Member

New social media policy in place
    Last edited by CFD11; 11-30-2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: New social media policy in place

Forum Member

Congratulations to everyone who received a conditional offer, I'm also in the same boat. Hopefully we all make it through the final steps. My girlfriend and I are driving down on the 30th from Philadelphia, leaving on the evening of the 3rd and I'm wondering if anybody needs a lift. PM me if you're interested. If you're driving down from 95 north of Philadelphia I could find you a safe place to park your car, or if you're south of me it could work out as well. Let me know, and see you all soon!

Forum Member

Congrats to everyone in the 32 going for screens on Monday and Tuesday. I look forward to meeting all of you and grabbing beers on the 5th!!

Forum Member

For those of you that are in the reserve 8. Keep an eye on your email/phones. There are at least three from the top 32 who have dropped out of the process or failed their backgrounds.

Forum Member

I do know the list is down to 31...they crossed a no show off the list while i was getting fit tested...

Thread Information