Like Tree2Likes

Thread: on call for night shift

Forum Member

Default on call for night shift

my dept has certain members be on call from around 11 pm-6 am for a week with rotation. basically it ensures that there will be at least a certain amount of Fire fighters responding. we all volunteer we are not paid by call. we have to make a certain percentage to be considered active and these go towards the percentage of course and if you dont go to the call and your on call you obviously hear about it. my question is how do you guys usually handle it if this is in your dept. maybe you hang out at the fire house when on call? or if its midnight shift you are home catching up on sleep and when you get the call you go? any advice/experience in this "on call shift" is appreciated thanks

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Um, why aren't you asking some of the senior members of the FD what they do?

Honestly, I would be home sleeping and if the tones dropped I would go to the call.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Like Fyred says, every department is a little bit different. We have several live-ins, and try to make sure that we have drivers in house. I try to sleep in 1 night a week as a driver. I will also run an evening duty so I stay at the station for that time as well. Most people are expected to be at the station for duty, although there are a few that live close enough that they can make it from home in 1 or 2 minutes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    Like Fyred says, every department is a little bit different. We have several live-ins, and try to make sure that we have drivers in house. I try to sleep in 1 night a week as a driver. I will also run an evening duty so I stay at the station for that time as well. Most people are expected to be at the station for duty, although there are a few that live close enough that they can make it from home in 1 or 2 minutes.
    i figured maybe its easier to stay at the station because you are right there and ready to go and different with the process of being home would take a few minutes of waking up getting in the car and driving. thanks for the input

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDept17 View Post
    i figured maybe its easier to stay at the station because you are right there and ready to go and different with the process of being home would take a few minutes of waking up getting in the car and driving. thanks for the input
    My post quoted the wrong individual so I am deleting this.

Sorry for any confusion.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 04-28-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    If you are still in high school why is the fire department requiring you to run 11:00 pm to 06:00 am station duty hours anyway? You have far more important things to do on the nights before school, like sleep, so you can be wide awake and paying attention in class. I have to tell you if I was your dad and the Fire Chief mandated you had to run 11:00 pm to 06:00 am duty shifts, especially if you had to stay at the station, you would be taking a leave of absence until you graduated. It's called priorities and getting your high school diploma with better than a C average is a major priority. Once again you have your whole life to run duty hours at the fire station and in reality less than 2 months until the school year ends. The choice seems obvious to me...why isn't it to you?
    well number one your not my dad, number two i have straight As with an occasional B, number three i am not in high school at what point did i say i was in high school.....

Forum Member

well number one your not my dad, number two i have straight As with an occasional B, number three i am not in high school at what point did i say i was in high school.....
    I am deleting a portion of this post because it was based on an error I made. Sorry for any confusion.

HOWEVER, I stand 100% behind this portion of my post and believe it rings truer than ever NOW.

Have a nice life, because frankly, you don't want advice you want people to tell you what you want to hear.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 04-28-2013 at 11:38 PM.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Um, you did say in another post you were going to your prom. That usually implies you are a high school student. Further if you aren't in school how do you have straight A's and B's?

You are right, I am not you dad, never said I was. I said "IF I was your dad." You see reading is fundamental and so is comprehension.

Have a nice life, because frankly, you don't want advice you want people to tell you what you want to hear.
    nope never said that maybe you should check again, theres something called college that you can attend after high school that would be somewhere you can also receive A's, B's etc...

you didnt give advice you give a smart *** remark, Eng34FF gave advice and i said thanks to him for it. If you have nothing useful to say in a post no point in making one. In the op i didnt ask if i should ask senior members i asked what people on HERE do hence why i posted the question on HERE asking for guys who had experience with it considering thats what a forum is for. Go take a look at the original post and use that fundamental reading and comprehension.

Forum Member

You are right junior, I misspoke and quoted yamaha and not you. So I apologize for that and I will delete my posts. That is the mature thing to do so I will do it.

nope never said that maybe you should check again, theres something called college that you can attend after high school that would be somewhere you can also receive A's, B's etc...

Yes, there is. Since you are an adult and a big man on campus, why aren't you smart enough to ask how your own department wants you to do things?

you didnt give advice you give a smart *** remark, Eng34FF gave advice and i said thanks to him for it. If you have nothing useful to say in a post no point in making one. In the op i didnt ask if i should ask senior members i asked what people on HERE do hence why i posted the question on HERE asking for guys who had experience with it considering thats what a forum is for. Go take a look at the original post and use that fundamental reading and comprehension.

Really a smart azzed remark? That is what you call saying that you should ask a senior man on your FD how they want things done? Why wouldn't you do that instead of doing it like another FD does and getting your azz chewed for that? Again you don't want advice you want to be told what you want to hear.
    By the way, stalking me on the forum and following me to a topic that was 7 years old was really a prime example of your maturity level. You'll go far in this business being a wise azz ****ed off little punk.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

i posted on the forum because it was an experience question. how exactly did i stalk you? clicked on your profile to see where you are from thats considered stalking? lmao that gives me a good laugh. thanks for telling me i will go far i already knew that bud. you are the man
    Last edited by FireDept17; 04-28-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Forum Member

i posted on the forum because it was an experience question. how exactly did i stalk you? clicked on your profile to see where you are from thats considered stalking? lmao that gives me a good laugh. thanks for telling me i will go far i already knew that bud. you are the man
    Actually junior, in order to end up IN THE TOPIC I was looking at you had to click on it to go to the topic. Nice try but no points will be awarded.

The fact is what any other department does in regards to YOUR fire department's mandated duty shifts is completely and totally irrelevant to YOUR fire department.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

actually senior, theres this thing called accidentally clicking something, not like it matters i can browse any forum i feel like. Would you like to continue to cry about it? You are oh so mature but continue to reply. I didnt ask if it was relevant to other departments i asked WHAT OTHER PEOPLE DO ON HERE. Its a question that can pertain to anybody who has ever worked a midnight shift anywhere in any fire department. Many threads i have browsed through you are on there giving someone a hard time, who knows why, must have been a rough life. Congrats, you win dick of the year award champ.

Forum Member

FireDept17... are you majoring in being a dickhead, because if you are not you are missing your calling...
    Chenzo likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

the chivalry has been called in

Forum Member

I'm not sure what chivalry has to do with this discussion, but I'd be willing to bet Gonz appreciates the compliment nonetheless.

Perhaps the word you're looking for is cavalry. The CAVALRY has been called in.....
    Last edited by Chenzo; 04-29-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

chivalry is the code of conduct in the medieval institution of knighthood. Cavalry can also be used though

Forum Member

I was going to be done with this but seeing as FireDept17 blindsided me here, while trying to make peace in the PMs, I have one last comment.

If this is an you example of you being a Brother firefighter heaven help those you work with because as of now I wouldn't trust you to scoop dog schidt off my lawn. Nice move, ripping me a new one here and then playing nicey nice on the PMs. Did you think I wouldn't come back here and read this? Sneaky, devious, little ****** usually are not well liked in the fire house. You may be able to change, but I don't hold out much hope.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

This is better then the White House correspondent dinner

Fd17 may want to quit while behind and maybe change your name to protect the innocent

Forum Member

how did i be sneaky i made the chivalry post at 7:55 AM and i messaged you at around 9:30 AM which is almost 2 hours after. you are quite the assumer and big man with words behind a computer. why would i waste my time messaging you then? check the times if you dont believe me doesnt matter to me

Forum Member

7:55 AM is when this post was made message was sent at 9:30 AM....

Forum Member

Guess the advice did not work

Learned it after sticking a couple size twelve feet in my mouth a few times

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Guess the advice did not work

Learned it after sticking a couple size twelve feet in my mouth a few times
    im just trying to clarify because he is saying i was being sneaky but i actually wasnt im not arguing with him im just trying to clarify

Forum Member

im just trying to clarify because he is saying i was being sneaky but i actually wasnt im not arguing with him im just trying to clarify
    Dont know you from Adam fireSEVENTEEN -but you really need to get a life, and grow up. fighting on the internet is childish at best.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    Dont know you from Adam fireSEVENTEEN -but you really need to get a life, and grow up. fighting on the internet is childish at best.
    im not fighting its the reason i didnt answer him the first time because i ignore rude comments and that is the reason i messaged him to lay it to rest if you guys scroll up you can see i did not start this i asked a simple question about midnight shifts
    Last edited by FireDept17; 04-29-2013 at 05:00 PM.

Forum Member

how did i be sneaky i made the chivalry post at 7:55 AM and i messaged you at around 9:30 AM which is almost 2 hours after. you are quite the assumer and big man with words behind a computer. why would i waste my time messaging you then? check the times if you dont believe me doesnt matter to me
    Why would you rip me a new one here, after I had walked away from this nonsense last night. Then come and try to make nice? You look insincere and frankly like a little weasel. The difference between you and me is I removed what I deemed as incorrect posts to you and apologized for the mistake. Your response was to follow me to a long dead post and then to post your stupid attack on here.

Further, I think you have proven either you are one of the most ignorant college students alive mistaking the word chivalry for cavalry, or you wouldn't know the truth if it bit you on your smart azz. I was right in the first place you are a junior member most likely still in high school living at home with mommy and daddy.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information