Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Palm beach county hiring

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MCDivision View Post
    I believe academy is 8 weeks. There have been a few classes have been called for those that had 2+ years experience. One class is already on shift. Another is in academy now and graduates on 2/28. There is another class scheduled to start in mid March.

The class scheduled to start in late April/May will be off of the 2nd group of interviews for those that had less than 2 years experience.

Word is that they may start a new application process sometime in late spring/early summer. No idea how many that they plan to hire but I heard that they have 100+ vacancies that needed to be filled.
    Wassup man! Sorry to bother! But have u heard anything new from pbcfr? I'm also hearing they Are looking to open up in April?truth? Was your source valid? [not discrediting your help]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MCDivision View Post
    I believe academy is 8 weeks. There have been a few classes have been called for those that had 2+ years experience. One class is already on shift. Another is in academy now and graduates on 2/28. There is another class scheduled to start in mid March.

The class scheduled to start in late April/May will be off of the 2nd group of interviews for those that had less than 2 years experience.

Word is that they may start a new application process sometime in late spring/early summer. No idea how many that they plan to hire but I heard that they have 100+ vacancies that needed to be filled.
    Sorry to hear borther! But has there been any new update with pbcfr? Is there really going to be a new application opening ? N what do they look for in driving hx ? Thanks and info would help!!!

Forum Member

hey brother quick question. Palm beach is opening up soon and i was wondering if you could tell me where you guys did the IAFF CPAT exam.. I have searched everywhere on the internet to find it. Thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sean_martin View Post
    hey brother quick question. Palm beach is opening up soon and i was wondering if you could tell me where you guys did the IAFF CPAT exam.. I have searched everywhere on the internet to find it. Thanks
    nationaltestingnetwork.com I used this as well as my friend that got hired with palm beach county last year and they accepted it. We drove to Ocala and did the test, only took a few minutes.. you can go back onto the website and print out your pass/fail paper. It expires after one year, I took mine last may so it is almost up for me. I hope this helps you.

Forum Member

Anyone been through there Academy? What it's like, what to expect??

Forum Member

Has anyone been told when the 1st orientation is going to be?

Forum Member

I was told by a couple people today that they received emails saying they were selected to move on in the process. They have to fax in their certs. Did anyone else receive an email?

Forum Member

I have not received an email. Im wondering how will they contact us if we do not get selected to move on?

Forum Member

They send you an email a few days later saying that you were not considered for the first group of 250 people or how ever many. and that you are on the second larger group of candidates that may be contacted at a later date...

Forum Member

Does anyone know how many people got the email about sending in their certs?

Forum Member

Has anyone heard back from PBC yet?

Forum Member

Nope, not I. Not even a rejection email yet

Forum Member

count me in the group that has heard nothing

Forum Member

Has anyone tried calling HR to see what's the delay with the last application submitted?

Forum Member

I was speaking to a friend of mine that works for PBFR and he said that there is a delay in the hiring for some reason. There is still another class that needs to go through from the other list later this year or next. So don't hold your breath for now...

Forum Member

Another round of interviews has just gone out

Forum Member

Does anyone have any insight on the audio interview. What kind of questions do they ask??
    Last edited by Bowmanoski; 07-30-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Forum Member

What would you say/do questions given which ever scenario. Nothing fire ems based. More or regular life situations, maybe chain of command issues, or morally correct questions. I would imagine its a lot like the BAP, questions are made so that anyone can answer them

Forum Member

Ok thank you for your help
    DarylF likes this.

Forum Member

See ya Friday!!

Forum Member

From those that did the interview on the 1st...... how do you feel you did? What do you think about the questions asked?

Forum Member

I feel like the questions were pretty straight forward. I believe most people will all have pretty much the same answers for all of them. I'm guessing they have some basic points they want you to hit and that's how they grade.

Forum Member

I interviewed 8/1/2014 and honestly I don't know how well I did. The audio based is completely new to me since I never did one like that. The questions were decent not too hard nor easy definitely made me think on how to approach the questions.. For those who interviewed do you "BEND" the rules???? That was a double edge question!!! How did you answer ?

Forum Member

My responses were very straight forward and hit some key points. The question about the house on fire with 25% flames near the front of the house and asking to go into detail on how you would handle the situation, i wasnt sure HOW detailed to be... Literal entry procedures or what? I kinda forgot most of the very detailed things I did fire academy a few years back. So i kept it basic. I doubt they expect you to get everything exact, i thought i answered the questions too quickly but then when I walked outside there were already a few people done so i felt a bit better about that.
    The bend the rules... i guess it depends on the scenario you gave them.. that may have been a double edge sword but at the same time it is better to be honest. i gave them an example that I bent the rules to help a friend in need (it was a very serious situation) and i mentioned how i knew the risk and responsibility i was taking by doing so but morally it was the right thing to do. Im not sure they wanted you to say "Im a firefighter and I dont bend rules" because they know very well everyone bends rules at some time, I could be wrong but I went the honest route. Lets see if it pays off.
    The worst part about the interview for me was the awkward silence in between and reading the questions lol!! I kept thinking in the back of my head "This captain must think im a big dummy" haha

Forum Member

Haha I agree I was wondering what was the captain doing sitting behind me. I also very awkward. My answers were also very concise at least 1-4. The bending the rules I just flat stated no I haven't and rules aren't meant to be bent. I elaborated with bending the rules could cause life safety and liability issues for the department and the rules were in place to promote organization and consistency. I just flat out deny,deny,deny. Reasoning behind my answer was because I know HR personnel will review our tapes and I assume they want the person whose ultimately going to stick to the rules regardless of how minut it maybe. I tried playing the question. But lord look how more bending I've done. Lol... As to the structure I pretty much established command,advised of my fire conditions, advised what type of dwelling it was. Donned PPE and performed a quick primary search. Found the victim preformed a through BLS/ALS assessment. Yet I don't know if that's what they wanted.... Honestly this interview just screwed me up mentally..I'm hoping for the best..... I wonder when will we hear something whether it's for better or worse??? You guys have any idea ??

Thread Information