+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Palm beach county hiring

Forum Member

These interviews are graded and reviewed by the human resources department and not the fire rescue department. HR wants you to be as proper and innocent as a nun. You are a representative of the county and they want to select the candidate with the most moral and ethical responses even if that isn't what you would do in real life. HR would have you throw your brothers under the bus if they questioned you about a problem situation that happened at work.

This interview is a game, and they want you to say what a Boy Scout would say and what would keep you out of trouble and getting killed or injured.

Examples: Fire scenario question; make sure I'm wearing full PPE with SCBA on air and the safety of myself and everyone on scene is most important issue with consideration of the risk/benefit factor whether to make a save while following chain of command. Rules are NOT meant to be bent or broken. We don't take discounts EVER. We ALWAYS use backers for the truck EVERY time. Blah, blah, blah.

Is all of this true? Of course not but if you want to get hired sometimes you have to say what you SHOULD do and not what you WOULD do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MCDivision View Post
    These interviews are graded and reviewed by the human resources department and not the fire rescue department. HR wants you to be as proper and innocent as a nun. You are a representative of the county and they want to select the candidate with the most moral and ethical responses even if that isn't what you would do in real life. HR would have you throw your brothers under the bus if they questioned you about a problem situation that happened at work.

This interview is a game, and they want you to say what a Boy Scout would say and what would keep you out of trouble and getting killed or injured.

Examples: Fire scenario question; make sure I'm wearing full PPE with SCBA on air and the safety of myself and everyone on scene is most important issue with consideration of the risk/benefit factor whether to make a save while following chain of command. Rules are NOT meant to be bent or broken. We don't take discounts EVER. We ALWAYS use backers for the truck EVERY time. Blah, blah, blah.

Is all of this true? Of course not but if you want to get hired sometimes you have to say what you SHOULD do and not what you WOULD do.
    Very disheartening...

Forum Member

Cool, thanks for the info.Now my anxiety continues. I do agree with you never bend the rules atleast you don't come out and say it in a interview. As for the discount, I didnt quite say don't take discount but I did say we firefighter are NOT looking nor expect specials privileges and discount. I didn't flat OUT say no and I didn't take the discount neither. So we shall see .... The backer question wasnt in my interview,was this on anybody elses?

Forum Member

The backer question was a from previous interview group. Don't get disheartened. Keep hope alive. Let see how they grade these. Everyone will know soon. Good luck to everyone.

Forum Member

@daryIF, hope my brother ! @MCdivision thanks again for the insight. I was told today we shouldnt expect to hear anything from the county til 1st week possibly the 2nd wk of September as the paper indicated. They informed me that most of the HR personnel are registering the new recruits that started on 8/25 situated. I.e Setting up telestaff accs, county email, union dues and other things. So it may be a while.. Be safe gents !

Forum Member

@firemedic0801 thanks for telling me to keep hope. I did, and I got a call this morning! Wish you all luck as well.
    Hint hint, last question isnt automatic fail, keep up hope!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarylF View Post
    @firemedic0801 thanks for telling me to keep hope. I did, and I got a call this morning! Wish you all luck as well.
    Hint hint, last question isnt automatic fail, keep up hope!
    that's awesome man congrats what did they tell you? I haven't gotten anything. My nerves now are killing me. @DARYIF

Forum Member

Thanks man, um not much just that i interviewed with them blah blah and they asked me if i was still interested to move on in the process. Class starts Oct 20, and thats about it.
    Jrod633 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarylF View Post
    Thanks man, um not much just that i interviewed with them blah blah and they asked me if i was still interested to move on in the process. Class starts Oct 20, and thats about it.
    wow thats great man! Good luck and best of wishes! Hopefully ANYTHING, at this point am exhausted of the what ifs...

Forum Member

Did anybody else get contacted by pbcfr today?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic0801 View Post
    Did anybody else get contacted by pbcfr today?
    Not that I've heard of, has anyone gotten emails yet?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod633 View Post
    Not that I've heard of, has anyone gotten emails yet?
    No not yet. But I do know the people that will be in the 1st and 2nd class were already contacted today. 

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic0801 View Post
    No not yet. But I do know the people that will be in the 1st and 2nd class were already contacted today. 
    Do we know for sure how many classes they are having this go around?

Forum Member

No clue my friend I have unfortunately loss hope. I heard they were going to get 75 from which is 2 classes and couple buffer from the 1st group that interview. And another 35 from the other group of people still waiting to interview. If that's true it's over for us that didn't get a call. I'm awaiting my thanks but no thanks email. Hate to be so pessimistic but it's my reality. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

I got an e-mail saying I got denied. I got all the points except for the nursing, and I did end saying I would not bend the rules. I reviewed my answers with my buddy who I work with, and it was similar, but he made sure he used up all the time. I answered, I believe hitting the key points, but had time left. Guess was not my luck this time. Good luck to all who continue the process.
    Last edited by Medic3:19; 09-07-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Forum Member

Did anybody get a call today???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 First ... 3456

Thread Information