C41
    Forum Member

Thumbs up Difference in a couple departments in Washington State (Puget Sound)

Hey everyone, I'm looking at a move out to the Seattle area in August and was just trying to grab any information I could about some possible reserve/volunteer spots out there. I currently have been volunteering for over 3 years at a department that staffs a house 24/7. I really like this setup, as it allows for me to run actual shifts and get better hands on training letting me keep skills fresh every time I'm there. I've noticed a lot in the Seattle area is respond from home and some have residency requirements. Is that the normal situation out there? I've been thinking about applying to the resident position at Mason County Fire #2, but I'm also not familiar with the hiring processes out in the area. I did fly in and take PST written and CPAT about a month ago and passed both. I have no problem being a reserve for a while and putting in the time (and grind) to get on the right path to a career spot, but I'm just out of the loop due to being on the other side of the country with where a good spot to be at is. If anyone can offer any knowledge, thanks!

Forum Member

I think Gig Harbor has a pretty good volunteer resident program, and I have friends at District 44 that are residents and are given housing and can respond from the station with career staff.

C41
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Axe View Post
    I think Gig Harbor has a pretty good volunteer resident program, and I have friends at District 44 that are residents and are given housing and can respond from the station with career staff.
    Thanks Dirty Axe! I'll check them both out. My main concern is getting the hands on training time to continually upkeep and increase my skills. I remember seeing your name on the Clark County thread also??? If so, how did that go for you?!?!?

Thread Information