Forum Member

Default dashboard roll , do we need to cut a posts or is it possible to do from b post??

We recently had an MVA and I really struggled getting out the patient. We tried multiple techniques finally gaining access. In the state of chaos, as we all have done, I seem to lose concept of a dashboard roll up. Couldnt remember if posts needed to be cut or is it possible to do just by grabbing steering column or jack off B post.

Being a small vol company there are many times we need to look outside the box. I have second guessed myself for almost 2 weeks. Gained access but just need some outside insight.

Thanks

Rodney

Forum Member

If the patient is significantly entangled under the dash or by the steering column, you definitely need to cut the A posts. That's the only way there can be enough freedom for the dash to be displaced.

It's also best NOT to cut the B posts before rolling the dash. If you do, when the ram is placed against the base of the B post, it will not provide enough bracing to push the dash and you will move the B post back instead of rolling the dash forward. Don't forget to make the relief cuts in the rocker panel, too.

Generally it's a bad idea to pull the steering column. Back before front-wheel-drive cars, the steering column was one big piece until way out under the hood. With FWD, the shafts have a number of U-joints, often including one near the firewall. If you pull on that type of column, the U-joint can fail and abruptly slap the column into the patient's legs. I'd be more tempted to cut the steering wheel spokes and remove the steering wheel. Don't cut the steering wheel itself because sometimes they can straighten out and get in the way.

See if a local salvage yard or somebody will let you come in and hack and whack to try these methods out.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

As said above, while it may be possible to displace the dash enough without cutting the a-post, it definatley makes it quicker and easier to do the dash roll.

Regarding the B posts, most of the time we take the roof before doing a dash roll. We haven't had a lot of issues with the B-post not holding the ram in place due to the fact that we cut fairly high on the post. If it is an issue, a rocker panel brace or the spreaders clamped to the rocker panel have done the job.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post
    As said above, while it may be possible to displace the dash enough without cutting the a-post, it definatley makes it quicker and easier to do the dash roll.

Regarding the B posts, most of the time we take the roof before doing a dash roll. We haven't had a lot of issues with the B-post not holding the ram in place due to the fact that we cut fairly high on the post. If it is an issue, a rocker panel brace or the spreaders clamped to the rocker panel have done the job.
    You know something? I had a brain fart. I was thinking about spreading the front door with the B post already cut. I don't know where I got the dash roll thing.

You can absolutely, positively roll the dash with the B post already cut.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

I ALWAYS cut the A post (usually both sides) and in fact usually cut a section out just to prevent the chance of it binding,I also make a relief cut in the rocker panel (both sides if time permits) and usually crunch and then relief cut the fender. I also prefer to use the spreaders and lift the dash as opposed to using the rams.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eng34FF View Post

Agreed , leave a pretty good chunk of the B to push against. We have done the "rippenblitz' and then needed to ram the dash and had to clamp a piece of cribbing to push against.
    ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't forget that many/most modern cars also have bracing in the center of the dash down to the center console/shifter area. Getting to this bracing can be problematic. If left intact it will cause any dash roll/lift to "butterfly" like a DeLorean's doors. In many cases that's enough to access a trapped patient. Just be aware if things are moving in the way you expect during the evolution.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Thread Information