Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Obviously Not the Only One Thinking This Way .....

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    In NJ, this would possibly land you a short stay in jail and definitely some hefty EPA/DEP fines. Any/all live fire training is to be done at approved training facilities only. No, the back yard of the firehouse will not qualify as an approved facility.
    NJ is just a bit different on a few things than the rest of the world. "come on vacation, leave on probation".

I just about had a gas station attendant want to fight about me trying to pump my own diesel - how was i to know it was illegal?
    Chenzo likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Um, YES. The fact is when you get cornered, and can't defend your BULL SCHITT, you ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS, say some crap not "Not my job" or "Not my responsibility" or "That's above my pay grade."

You have come on these forums and REPEATEDLY made it seem like you are some one of importance and influence in BOTH of your fire departments. Now, when it is no longer convenient for you to keep up that nonsensical premise you pass the buck.

Seriously Bobby you are quite possibly the most pathological individual person I have ever met.

Yes, there are things that i have influence in, and things I do not.

The Chief at my VFD sets training policy. Not the training Officer and not myself. He consults us and asks our opinion, and more often than not goes with our recommdations, but in the end, it comes down to his decision.

The Chief also has decided that he writes the grants.

How is that passing the buck?

In my combo department the Chief and the deputy Chief sets training policy. They set policy reagrding operations. And yes, when there is an officer in the truck above me ... It's his truck, not mine.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 05-10-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    NJ is just a bit different on a few things than the rest of the world. "come on vacation, leave on probation".

I just about had a gas station attendant want to fight about me trying to pump my own diesel - how was i to know it was illegal?
    Funny thing is....NJ pays less per gallon than most states....and we have someone pump it for us!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    On my VFD, you're right.

We have more other pressing training needs, like a training facility.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3b97...ayer_embedded#!
    NO Excuses -this is from :lower Arkansas --soo
    Chenzo likes this.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    We have done the same thing. And as valuable as it is, you still need live fire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    We have done the same thing. And as valuable as it is, you still need live fire.
    If you fight fire from the sidewalk most of the time, heck , just cobble up a bunch of pallets in a vacant lot.
    Chenzo likes this.
    ?

Forum Member

Same thing happened to me- I bowed up and almost hit the guy when he reached for my credit card.
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    This is pretty good.. Nothing will beat smoke/heat but training in gear on a playground is better then not training at all.

Being creative and having iniative makes up for world class facility.

Kinda like having a brand new truck, new tools and new gear but not having the crew to properly utilize it.
    conrad427 likes this.

Kurt is a great resource, with his and Brian Vickers help i have gotten millions in grants for my area. I would be more than happy to help you, just drop me a PM. You should also look at the forums here.
    That's why I'm here. Lots of info, and much of the stuff discussed here is new to me and my department.

Quote Originally Posted by Here and there View Post
    I think you took my last comment other than intended. It sounds like Texas does not have a very VFD friendly training system.

So what I meant by my comment is it would be more useful to try and have a rural training system put in place as part of any minimum training requirement.

It is a very weak argument to fight training standards, but not that hard to make the points you've made and ask for support from the state to help meet these new mandates by changing the training to something reasonable for in house training or they can find buckets of money to send volunters away for school.

I think they would favor #1.

There are lots of states out there with workable volunteer standards and supportive certification systems. It doesn't have to be the all or nothing system that it sounds like Texas has adopted.
    I have been in contact with my legislators and several others in Austin since 2011 about volunteer fire department programs and funding. Responses from all but a few whom covered largely rural areas has not been very positive. As HuntPA alluded, our areas are not the ones with the people, and so we have very little political stroke. Here is what the situation best I can tell is:

* We haven't been able to salvage our state funding. Not nearly enough political stroke there.

* Some legislators (a scary number of them, actually) and the governor would have no problems doing away with us period. Then they can capture 100% of the funding dedicated to us instead of the 75% they capture now. They would like to move us to the Texas Commission on Fire Protection, and then they want to incrementally phase us out. Because of the potential political backlash, they don't want to do this outright. They want to pass standards, then gradually raise standards until they become largely unobtainable for non-compensated volunteer fire departments. Then when we don't meet the standards, give the state the ability to shut us down. This is regardless of whether or not we actually accept any state funding. The "safety" label would be turned against us. There was never any intent to actually help equip and train us to meet the standard.

*We were left with the ability to compromise because of an unrelated piece of legislation that needed additional support. We may get to avoid state oversight (state death penalty, really), but I don't think we will have any support for restoring state support for our funding.

The article that originated this thread and many others, as well as commentary from many large department chiefs out of state was cited against us in subcommittee and committee testimony. Although well-meaning, articles like this have helped damage us. Some of the ones after us keep their goals to do away with us silent, then publicly turn around and criticize us for trying to defend ourselves, claiming we are untrained and unsafe and we need to be regulated or get our funding cut. They speak often from both sides of their faces, and we are kind of between a rock and a hard place.

You, the author of the article, and everyone else seems to think the state wants us to be safe and succeed. They don't. They are driven by $$$, and that's it.

Forum Member

WVFD, sorry to find that your politicians are just as worthless and corrupt as all the rest. Unfortunately not really surprising.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    Wow Dude, I'm sorry.

Now I know why there are some many departments struggling in east Texas. I run into them every time we go over that way for training.

Thread Information