Like Tree435Likes

Thread: Hey LA! This one's for you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    No, I am teaching them that there are situations where we cannot change the outcome. I am teaching them to recognize those situations. And yes, I am teaching them that we are priority, and there are situations throughout history where firefighters have been killed and injured when there wqs simply no chance to change the outcome, and that should never happen.

I am teaching them to train as hard as they can while still taking care of thier famalies. I am teaching them to recognize both the limits of their skills sets and their department's skill sets and resources, and operate safely while doing what we can with the skill sets and resources we have at hand.

In some cases, that may be quite a bit. in other cases, it may be quite limited. And either way, that's OK as long as they are doing the best that they can both personally and at the department level.
    There are numerous situations where we can not change the outcome; yet you advocate that since we can't fix some of them, we should write them all off. Have you ever had to face a mother whose infant was in that home you had just written off? You teach your people that that's okay, even when there's an opportunity to make a save? Really?

If there is a deficiency in your FFs skill sets, it is your responsibility as TO to fix that, or at the very least teach them to rely on others who excel in a skill they're deficient in. You say your department has a deficiency or two? Funny, I've come to the realization that no department in the country is without one, yet they can adapt and overcome. What is YOUR deficiency in teaching your people to do the same?

Your role as a TO is to reinforce your people's strengths, and build upon their weaknesses. You claim that you teach your people to take care of their families; those of us that don't have our heads firmly embedded in our colorectal areas teach our people how to do their jobs effectively so that they can go home to their families at the end of the day. Please resign your position, you're doing those entrusting themselves to your "knowledge" a great disservice.
    Chenzo likes this.
    "I am an aggressive firefighter, and that is not an apology."

FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF

Forum Member

Learned my craft up north.

I doubt there is very much that you could offer me.
    Call it OTJ training instead of in a classroom where your biggest worry would be a pinch bruise from getting your finger caught in a binder ring.
    Chenzo likes this.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Call it OTJ training instead of in a classroom where your biggest worry would be a pinch bruise from getting your finger caught in a binder ring.
    Them bastards are nasty, you gotta watch out for that stuff.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    Perhaps, and this might be a WAY out there in right field thought, but perhaps if you offered more to your members than the opportunity to ride in a big shiny truck, and stand in the yard, there wouldn't be member recruitment and retention issues. Perhaps if you put forth more of an effort to actually HELP people and put the fire out, more people would be willing to join. Have you ever thought that people don't want to be part of an organization that settles for burning houses down and justifying it by saying everyone got to go home? What about that homeowner? They're never going home, not even to salvage some of the irreplaceable family heirlooms and pictures...

People don't want to be part of a FAILED organization. Other than yourself, the rest of us got in the fire service to HELP people. When people our at their worst, we want to HELP them to salvage whatever we can to make their worst day a little better. People don't sign up to burn houses down, they sign up to put fire out and help their community. If they just wanted to burn houses down they'd be a damn arsonist.
    This is some pretty funny stuff....

The last 3 fires we have responded to in the last 2 years ..... Everybody is still living in those homes.

Single story duplex apartment fire ... Fire in the attic and held to the attic. No fire damage to living area ... Roof replaced ... Both units reoccupied within 2 months.

Single story Type III ... Fire in the closet ... held to the closet with smoke damage to the bedroom ... reoccupied within a week.

And then the stove/kitchen fire a couple of weeks ago. Occupants back in home within 2 days. Kitchen repaired within a week.

So what is this about burning houses down?

I would like to see where I have said that we never make entry and we let houses burn.

There are parts of our district where the response times will in most cases preclude any type of interior ops. The house will burn and if the occupants do not self-evacuate they will die. There are times that we have very minimal response, and during these periods it's highly likely the house will burn and if the occupants do not self-evacuate, they will die. Stuff happens.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 05-14-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

There are numerous situations where we can not change the outcome; yet you advocate that since we can't fix some of them, we should write them all off. Have you ever had to face a mother whose infant was in that home you had just written off? You teach your people that that's okay, even when there's an opportunity to make a save? Really?

No.

I teach them to be realistic about their abilities and realistic in evaluating the situation. I teach them that there are times that we can't change the outcome and trying will just result in firefighter injuries and possibly death. And I teach them it is perfectly OK to not intervene in those situations. If you want to call that writing off victims, fine. I call it conducting a realistic risk/benefit analysis and understanding that it is perfectly acceptable to say no and accept that the victim are likely already dead, or simply no longer viable.

If there is a deficiency in your FFs skill sets, it is your responsibility as TO to fix that, or at the very least teach them to rely on others who excel in a skill they're deficient in.

Which is exactly what we are in the process of doing. That being said, real world fire experience is another part of the recipe, and our personnel, with the exception of the officers do not have that. That needs to be acknowledged and factored in when making operational decisions on the fireground.

You say your department has a deficiency or two? Funny, I've come to the realization that no department in the country is without one, yet they can adapt and overcome. What is YOUR deficiency in teaching your people to do the same?

So you recognize that, and understand that is a limitation.

Your role as a TO is to reinforce your people's strengths, and build upon their weaknesses. You claim that you teach your people to take care of their families; those of us that don't have our heads firmly embedded in our colorectal areas teach our people how to do their jobs effectively so that they can go home to their families at the end of the day. Please resign your position, you're doing those entrusting themselves to your "knowledge" a great disservice.[/QUOTE]

Not how the department feels.

Forum Member

On the fireground I see myself as a small group leader, fulfilling a command role when needed but that should not be my primary function.

I am not a leader. And I will never be a leader. And frankly have no real desire to be a leader. Not my style.
    Your words.

You see yourself as a leader....but state you are not a leader and never will be a leader.

Resign immediately as Lt. You are not the person for that job. You state that yourself. By you continuing to hold that leadership position, you are a cancer to your fire company.
    Chenzo likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

...I teach them to be realistic about their abilities and realistic in evaluating the situation. I teach them that there are times that we can't change the outcome and trying will just result in firefighter injuries and possibly death. And I teach them it is perfectly OK to not intervene in those situations. If you want to call that writing off victims, fine. I call it conducting a realistic risk/benefit analysis and understanding that it is perfectly acceptable to say no and accept that the victim are likely already dead, or simply no longer viable...
    will just result in firefighter injuries and possibly death.

Don't you mean MAY result? You are not the all knowing. You don't know for sure things will happen. You are simply guessing.

Your realistic risk/benefit analysis is skewed from the start.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

I view my role as basically managing the members according to policy as developed by the Chiefs and the captain.

On the fireground I see myself as a small group leader, fulfilling a command role when needed but that should not be my primary function.

I am not a leader. And I will never be a leader. And frankly have no real desire to be a leader. Not my style.

I have been tasked with managing public education and assisting with the planning, development and delivery of training, again, primarily in management vs. leadership role.
    Ahhhh....another worthless bureaucrat sucking up taxpayer dollars that should be committed to providing emergency services. I never had a patient or a victim tell me they would rather have a Pub Ed professional responding to mitigate their issue.

Yet many of the chairborne staff at Hq actually believed they were more vital to the OCFA than the firefighters in the field.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

There are times that we have very minimal response, and during these periods it's highly likely the house will burn and if the occupants do not self-evacuate, they will die. Stuff happens.
    Stuff happens... Really? That's good enough for you? Stuff happens.....

Okay, so if I'm ever in Louisiana, and I run across you, and kick you square in the nuts, then say stuff happens I'm in the clear?

Stuff happens is REALLY a good enough excuse for you? You'll sleep just fine at night knowing grandma and her toddler grandson died, because you'll just say stuff happens and fall asleep....

There's a difference between being able to cope with the stuff we see doing this job, and being a cold hearted bastard... You definitely fall under the cold hearted part of that.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Actually the folks I run into from other parts of LA, TX, ARK and even Mississippi and Missouri, where I taught NFA classes the last couple of months, are telling me how difficult it is to recruit and retain members, train the members and have enough members on scene to operate safely.

Funny thing is I still communicate with my previous VFD in VT and they are saying that it is still a battle up there as well.

I'll even tell you that it's difficult to recruit and retain new members. It's like that all over the country. That isn't an excuse. As far as training, if you want your members trained to a certain level, you make sure they get the needed training.
    Chenzo likes this.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Yet many of the chairborne staff at Hq actually believed they were more vital to the OCFA than the firefighters in the field.
    Lot of that still going on. The holier than thou attitude of those sea donkeys working prevention, is enough to make a guy puke.
    RyanK63 likes this.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

So.. simple question. Has there been anything new said on this thread in the past 6+ pages?
    I'm starting to think that LA works for Cygnus publishing to drive page views and Ad hits...
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Ahhhh....another worthless bureaucrat sucking up taxpayer dollars that should be committed to providing emergency services. I never had a patient or a victim tell me they would rather have a Pub Ed professional responding to mitigate their issue.

Hahahhaaaaa .. was referring to my rank at my VFD.

So much for sucking tax dollars.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Your words.

You see yourself as a leader....but state you are not a leader and never will be a leader.

Resign immediately as Lt. You are not the person for that job. You state that yourself. By you continuing to hold that leadership position, you are a cancer to your fire company.
    I probably should have said "small group manager" as that is a more accurate portrayal of where I see myself.

As far as resigning ..... if we had a deeper bench I would strongly consider it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    So.. simple question. Has there been anything new said on this thread in the past 6+ pages?
    I'm starting to think that LA works for Cygnus publishing to drive page views and Ad hits...
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Maybe I should approach them about this?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

This is some pretty funny stuff....

No actually, listening to you make up crap over and over to justify your nonsense and then completely contradicting yourself and then justifying it, is pathetically sad, not funny in the least.

The last 3 fires we have responded to in the last 2 years ..... Everybody is still living in those homes.

I would bet a steak dinner you weren't in command at a single one of those calls.

Single story duplex apartment fire ... Fire in the attic and held to the attic. No fire damage to living area ... Roof replaced ... Both units reoccupied within 2 months.

I know for damn sure you weren't in command of this call.

Single story Type III ... Fire in the closet ... held to the closet with smoke damage to the bedroom ... reoccupied within a week.

Doubt you were in command of this one.

And then the stove/kitchen fire a couple of weeks ago. Occupants back in home within 2 days. Kitchen repaired within a week.

And YET, your very own chief violated every single fireground procedure that you have repeatedly slammed Chenzo for. Interior working command, no 360 (Chenzo did one), no back up line in position, no 2 in 2 out, no saftey officer, no RIT. Brilliant how you use this incident as a shining example of the good you can di while it violates EVERYTHING YOU SAY YOU STAND FOR. Add to that your chief not even being in proper PPE. Yepper, hypocrite describes you to a T.

So what is this about burning houses down?

Well, LA, when you paint the picture that the majority of your VFD is filled with lawn Gnome, exterior window squirters what would you expect us to believe? You say over and over how burning a house down means nothing to you if everyone goes home.

I would like to see where I have said that we never make entry and we let houses burn.

See above.

There are parts of our district where the response times will in most cases preclude any type of interior ops. The house will burn and if the occupants do not self-evacuate they will die. There are times that we have very minimal response, and during these periods it's highly likely the house will burn and if the occupants do not self-evacuate, they will die. Stuff happens.

Nice re-enforcement of your cavalier, callous, F*** the citizens, cold hearted BULL SCHITT!
    Just shaking my head at what a pathetic train wreck you are.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... Maybe I should approach them about this?

Forum Member

I would bet a steak dinner you weren't in command at a single one of those calls.

Actually I wasn't even at any of them. They were all daytime runs.

Nope. Deputy Chief was. Two other officers were also on scene plus a fast response by the AMA engine, and there was a plug less than 200' from the fire building.

Nope. Captain was, with 2 other officers and a couple of firefighters. Knocked it down with a water can and then the AMA engine stretched a line and finished it off.

And YET, your very own chief violated every single fireground procedure that you have repeatedly slammed Chenzo for. Interior working command, no 360 (Chenzo did one), no back up line in position, no 2 in 2 out, no saftey officer, no RIT. Brilliant how you use this incident as a shining example of the good you can di while it violates EVERYTHING YOU SAY YOU STAND FOR. Add to that your chief not even being in proper PPE. Yepper, hypocrite describes you to a T.

Ya.. he stepped 2' inside the structure w/ gear but no SCBA. Hit it for 15 seconds and then backed out the whole 2'. Captain in full PPE and SCBA was stretching the line as he hit the fire. AMA pulling up on scene as Captain took line interior with very little smoke.

Again, would I have done it that way? No. Was it patently dangerous? No. And how many stove fires have you not put a pack on for? I'd be curious.

Well, LA, when you paint the picture that the majority of your VFD is filled with lawn Gnome, exterior window squirters what would you expect us to believe? You say over and over how burning a house down means nothing to you if everyone goes home.

Probably under my charge they are lawn gnomes, but the other officers are a tad more aggressive.

Nice re-enforcement of your cavalier, callous, F*** the citizens, cold hearted BULL SCHITT!

And exactly how can I be more caring and loving? Those are the facts. At times, we have very limited capabilities and parts of our district are remote. That is simply fire behavior and the ability of the body to withstand fire.

That doesn't mean that it does not concern me, but the fact is I am not going to beat myself up if we lose a house or lives due to distance, training or manpower. There is simply nothing more that we can do about either at this time.

Forum Member

How in the heck did I miss this little gem the first time around?

I view my role as basically managing the members according to policy as developed by the Chiefs and the captain.

Unless the firefighters do something you don't like. You know, like be firefighters and go interior and extinguish the fire. Then you will admonish them for being unsafe because one of your 5 paid guys who got their quality training elswhere, you know, the REAL firefighters, was there to say it was okay.

The only part of this post that is correct is where you say fulfilling a command role should not be your primary function...further it shouldn't be your secondary function either. Go back to being a pub ed guru and yell at the kids for not stopping, dropping and rolling, properly.

No, your desire is to be the new wave messiah of the uber safety culture that is okay with writing people and property off and making that the new norm for the fire service. You don't have time to train enough to be a true leader, being a poison takes all your energy.

I have been tasked with managing public education and assisting with the planning, development and delivery of training, again, primarily in management vs. leadership role.

Then stay at that and leave the firefighting for those who are courageous enoughto do it. As you have said in describing yourself you are not courageous...
    Man, can you breath with your foot that far down your own throat?
    Last edited by FyredUp; 05-14-2013 at 06:32 PM.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

***Black text is Fyredup, Red text is LA***

Actually I wasn't even at any of them. They were all daytime runs.

Nope. Deputy Chief was. Two other officers were also on scene plus a fast response by the AMA engine, and there was a plug less than 200' from the fire building.

Nope. Captain was, with 2 other officers and a couple of firefighters. Knocked it down with a water can and then the AMA engine stretched a line and finished it off.

Ya.. he stepped 2' inside the structure w/ gear but no SCBA. Hit it for 15 seconds and then backed out the whole 2'. Captain in full PPE and SCBA was stretching the line as he hit the fire. AMA pulling up on scene as Captain took line interior with very little smoke.

Again, would I have done it that way? No. Was it patently dangerous? No. And how many stove fires have you not put a pack on for? I'd be curious.

Probably under my charge they are lawn gnomes, but the other officers are a tad more aggressive.

And exactly how can I be more caring and loving? Those are the facts. At times, we have very limited capabilities and parts of our district are remote. That is simply fire behavior and the ability of the body to withstand fire.

That doesn't mean that it does not concern me, but the fact is I am not going to beat myself up if we lose a house or lives due to distance, training or manpower. There is simply nothing more that we can do about either at this time.
    Resign. Now. You're crippling the membership of your department who want to do what they signed up for, you're crippling any ability you have to gain membership by being a coward, and your jeopardizing the safety of your community.

It's time to hang up your clean shiny helmet and your boots, because you are bringing NOTHING safe or progressive to the fire service.

Forum Member

I teach them to be realistic about their abilities and realistic in evaluating the situation. I teach them that there are times that we can't change the outcome and trying will just result in firefighter injuries and possibly death. And I teach them it is perfectly OK to not intervene in those situations. If you want to call that writing off victims, fine. I call it conducting a realistic risk/benefit analysis and understanding that it is perfectly acceptable to say no and accept that the victim are likely already dead, or simply no longer viable.

AND this could all be very viable IF you hadn't stated that certain types of building construction, and NO you weren't talking about abandoned or vacant structures, would preclude you from making entry. Not the size or location of the fire, but the mere construction type would preclude you from making an entry.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

You know, I hadn't logged onto this site in a month at least, I find it a waste of time. I was hoping to come back and read an educational forum post or two but I have come to the conclusion that not only are every single one of you wasting your time, but you are also all a bunch of jackasses, I mean seriously. Do all of you have dozens of hours to sit around and antagonize someone else on the internet intentionally then pick apart every word they post using dictionary definitions just for the sake of arguing.

ffs every person that posts regularly in these threads is an immature child and no doubt your commanding officers (if they have any sense) would be ashamed of every single one of you if they saw all the crap you guys are posting and in what context it is posted...

Truckie

Quote Originally Posted by Rialaigh View Post
    You know, I hadn't logged onto this site in a month at least, I find it a waste of time. I was hoping to come back and read an educational forum post or two but I have come to the conclusion that not only are every single one of you wasting your time, but you are also all a bunch of jackasses, I mean seriously. Do all of you have dozens of hours to sit around and antagonize someone else on the internet intentionally then pick apart every word they post using dictionary definitions just for the sake of arguing.

ffs every person that posts regularly in these threads is an immature child and no doubt your commanding officers (if they have any sense) would be ashamed of every single one of you if they saw all the crap you guys are posting and in what context it is posted...
    Well if it's been a whole month, thank you for commenting, and adding your enlightened, learned opinion on the topic at hand. Your vast experience and education certainly shine through in your witty commentary.
    By the way, who are you? Because I for one haven't missed you. But if truth be told, your first post containing nothing but insults, innuendos and assumptions speak volumes of your lack of maturity and inability to debate as an adult.
    I end quoting and esteemed friend and colleague: "Have a nice day."
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 05-15-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    FireMedic049, Chenzo and RyanK63 like this.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Sorry to hear that you are such a complacent, lazy, accepting azz, that you believe the poison and drivel that LA spreads is okay.

Frankly, I wonder who the flying F*** you think you are anyways? If you don't like what is going on here be gone for another month. Come back and join the conversation, either in support of LA or in opposition. Otherwise take your crybaby butt back to where you slunk off to for another month or 2 or 2000. Who gives a damn?

Oh, Have a nice day!
    FireMedic049, Chenzo and RyanK63 like this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

MA'AM (or sir), I'm going to have to respectfully object to your post, and your opposition to the way that we conduct things here on this forum. If you believe that LA's absolutely nonsensical ramblings about the fire service should just be left alone for younger, inexperienced members to read and come to believe that is the norm of the fire service, than you are no better than he. [/sarcastic respectful tone]

Dude, if you don't like it, don't read it. No one is standing over your computer telling you that you have to read this. No one is telling you how to spend your free time. Who the f*ck are you to come here and tell us what to do in our free time? If I want to sit on these forums and "waste my time, be a jackass, and antagonize someone else" for his absolutely cowardice tactics, I will

Do you understand how a forum works? Do you see me representing my department? No, the opinions posted here are mine and mine alone, and may not reflect the views of my fire department. Just because you're an ignorant asshat who doesn't like the way things are done around here, doesn't mean you get to tell us what to do with our time. Don't like it here? F*cking disappear for another month.

Please do have yourself a nice day.
    FireMedic049 and RyanK63 like this.

Thread Information