Like Tree435Likes

Thread: Hey LA! This one's for you!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    If you think that we should be entering buildings with near heavily to fully involved, near backdraft conditions and/or obviously imminent or ongoing structural collapse, you, my friend ar a complete idiot and hope that you never get anywhere near anywhere of my men.
    Are you ****ing dense? NOT ONE TIME has anyone EVER said we should make an interior attack on what you just described.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    Are you ****ing dense? NOT ONE TIME has anyone EVER said we should make an interior attack on what you just described.
    Yes, YES HE IS!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Pssssssssssssst .. Notice how I said 2 blockers?

The fact is that if you look at situations where blockers, including multiple blockers, were effectily deployed, there have been a minimum of responder injuries.
    So, through proper training and having good situational awareness you can mitigate most of the risk of a MVA? Hmmm..... I wonder what other activities firefighters engage in that could use those techniques. I am amazed that you believe that you can make a MVA almost perfectly safe, I call BS. I believe that the citizens wont let you let people rot away on the hiways.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rm1524 View Post
    I just happened to be looking at this picture on Facebook before I read your post haha

Name:  3a9.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  22.0 KB
    Chenzo and rm1524 like this.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member

And yes, my wife knows how I feel about risking firefighter's lives.
    That's not exactly what I asked, and you damn well know it.

Does your wife know that you have essentially given your department the OK to let her be overcome by smoke and fire and perish in your home should it catch fire?
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Wow .. such big words.

And yes, I do attempt to completely disassociate myself from the victims at a fire, and the patients at EMS calls.

They are not people. They are victims and patients, and I am there to treat them and make decisions regarding them as such.

Cold? Probably. But it keeps the emotion out of the decision making process.
    Those were big words. Did you have to look them up?

I think in a way, we ALL disassociate ourselves from the victims at a fire, and the patients at EMS calls.

HOWEVER, just because we disassociate ourselves to make the hardship of someone dying easier, it does NOT mean that we just simply don't act.

What YOU do, and your thought process, is absolutely 100% cold. There's a difference between keeping the emotion out of it, and just being a cold-hearted bastard who doesn't give a schitt whether someone lives or dies.

You are a cold-hearted disgrace to the fire service, and anyone who signs up to any organization for any reason to help people. You are in it for your own twisted personal reasons, and that doesn't include helping anyone, ever, period.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RyanK63 View Post
    I just happened to be looking at this picture on Facebook before I read your post haha

Attachment 22881
    That is awesome!

Forum Member

Originally Posted by LaFireEducator
    Wow .. such big words.

And yes, I do attempt to completely disassociate myself from the victims at a fire, and the patients at EMS calls.

They are not people.
    This is even more proof of sociopathic disassociation.

They are victims and patients, and I am there to treat them and make decisions regarding them as such.
    What "decisions"?
    In your mind, you have already made it the moment you got the call... and your call is "screw 'em, I am more important". They didn't have a properly working smoke detector, "not my problem". They used an improper extension cord? "Not my problem". A child is trapped in a burning car? "Not my problem".

Cold? Probably. But it keeps the emotion out of the decision making process.
    if the people that you work with and the "they are not people" (your words, not mine) you allegedly"protect" ever read the bovine scat you post here, they would fire you from both of your FDs and run you out of town.
    FyredUp, Chenzo and conrad427 like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    That's not exactly what I asked, and you damn well know it.

Does your wife know that you have essentially given your department the OK to let her be overcome by smoke and fire and perish in your home should it catch fire?
    The reality is that my home department is much more capable than my volunteer department.

Is that a slam on my VFD? No.

My combo department where I live has paid staff, including myself. We have 6x the volunteers plus more support members. We have 10x the budget. We have significant greater training resources, and we have much better access to mutual aid with interior capabilities. We also have, in most cases, better response times.

Funny thing is that I don't have the power to give or not give permission to my combo department to act in one way or another. There's no doubt that if they know she is inside they will, command will order, and members more than likely,will take actions that I would consider overly aggressive and IMO, dangerous to the personnel.

And if one of them gets hurt I will likely have issues with it.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 05-19-2013 at 10:36 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    So, through proper training and having good situational awareness you can mitigate most of the risk of a MVA? Hmmm..... I wonder what other activities firefighters engage in that could use those techniques. I am amazed that you believe that you can make a MVA almost perfectly safe, I call BS. I believe that the citizens wont let you let people rot away on the hiways.
    Never said that you can make an MVA perfectly safe, but it is certainly easier to reduce the risk of firefighter death or injury at an MVA than it is at a working structure fire.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    Maybe you don't realize that responders are still getting injured and/or killed even when using blocker vehicles?
    Unfortunately, yes.

Forum Member

Seriously, it is the job of, and even more so, the duty of, firefighters to take calculated risks in the course of their duties. I could explain that to you ONCE AGAIN, but why bother? You have proven repeatedly that you are incapable of understanding that incredibly simple concept.

And I have agreed. There are situations where risk is warranted. There are also situations where either zero risk is warranted, or cannot be justified based on the fact that insufficient training, resources, experience, training or command structure is not on scene to support those risks.

The problem here is that we are very far apart on what you consider reasonable calculated risks vs. what I consider reasonable calculated risks. We likely also widely differ on the amount of risk that you believe firefighters, especially volunteer members, should be exposed to given the responsibilities they have to their families.

It is unlikely that we will ever agree, or come close to agreeing, on either point.

Bull Schitt, nonsense, and just another example of your total and undeniable complete lack of anything close to YOU being an actual fire officer, let alone a firefighter.

So the response time of, in this scenario, the only officer available is not a factor in how the incident unfolds?

Suppose it is another stove fire? You know the kind your chief violates all the safety rules you preach about. You know, one that can be extinguished with a dry chem fire extinguisher. If you were in command would that fire have led to a total loss of that home? Never mind I already know the answer.

Would depend on the situation on arrival. And yes, I may decide not to go interior until more resources arrive and lose the home.

There is a difference. YOU WOULDN'T TAKE THOSE RISKS, AND THOSE THERE COULDN'T STOP ME FROM TAKING THEM.

Again, situational.

Yet you do little to nothing except make excuses to change that in your VFD.

Not going over what we have done to improve the training aspect of my VFD. It's getting better but still not there, and lack of experience resulting from a lack of fires is still, and likely always will be, a major issue that will handicap operations.

And excuses are your best friend.

Call them excuses if you wish. I call them things that will get my guys hurt or killed.

And you keep saying that, and yet after the time you have been on your volly FD nothing has really changed in that area...

And change takes time.

Actually, there is no doubt about it.

Those who work with me don't think so.

You are right, injury or death to citizens is unacceptable to me. Is it a reality? YES IT IS. But just like you refuse to accept any injuries or deaths of firefighters as a possibility, I refuse to coldly and callously not feel anything at all when it occurs. I NEVER want to be that person. The one who feels nothing, yawns and falls back asleep like nothing ever happened. No Bobby, I don't carry them forever, I couldn't. But I don't make my mind pretend they were nothing, like yesterday's trash either.

Well, I am that person and I have no issue being such.

I never called, or referred to anyone as trash.

Forum Member

la -if you spent a fraction of the time solving problems as you do making excuses -awww forget it.
    FyredUp, Chenzo and conrad427 like this.
    ?

Forum Member

LA, The only thing that's more pathetic than the idiotic drivel you post here, is that you truly believe the mindset you have towards (not) helping people is an acceptable train of thought.
    Last edited by Chenzo; 05-19-2013 at 11:59 AM.

Forum Member

lafe, what scenarios warrant an interior attack?

Forum Member

Never said that you can make an MVA perfectly safe, but it is certainly easier to reduce the risk of firefighter death or injury at an MVA than it is at a working structure fire.
    How about reducing the risk at a structure fire? Put out or darken it down and your problems go away.
    squirting water is not hard. You expect me to believe that you can turn out enough people to properly block a hiway scene with two to three main trucks and other stuff? It takes less resources to put out a house fire as Lt. Chenzo has proven.
    Chenzo likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire71EMT View Post
    lafe, what scenarios warrant an interior attack?
    For him? None.

Odds are he'll post something along the lines of "If adequate staffing is present, with the proper amount of training and experience, and fire and structural conditions allow, then an interior attack is warranted."

Now, there wouldn't generally be anything wrong with that statement, HOWEVER, LA's definition of adequate staffing, training, experience, fire conditions and structural integrity are FAR, FAR off base from the norm.

Forum Member

The reality is that my home department is much more capable than my volunteer department.

Yeah, okay.

Doesn't need to be this time. Because you slam them, tear them down, and basically say they will never amount to anything other than a bunch of yard breathers.

My combo department where I live has paid staff, including myself. We have 6x the volunteers plus more support members. We have 10x the budget. We have significant greater training resources, and we have much better access to mutual aid with interior capabilities. We also have, in most cases, better response times.

Yet your paid staff, by your own admission, isn't even required to respond because hose testing is more important than them responding a rig quickly out the door to aid the citizens.

Funny thing is that I don't have the power to give or not give permission to my combo department to act in one way or another. There's no doubt that if they know she is inside they will, command will order, and members more than likely,will take actions that I would consider overly aggressive and IMO, dangerous to the personnel.

Here it is again, one minute you are an authority figure and the next you are anobody with your thumb in your azz. Schizophrenic much?

Of course you will Bobby Boo Boo! Never mind the chance your wife and family might be dead is this make believe scenario, your concern would be pointed towards the injured firefighter. Yeah, right.
    More of the same nonsensical blah blah blah.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Seriously, it is the job of, and even more so, the duty of, firefighters to take calculated risks in the course of their duties. I could explain that to you ONCE AGAIN, but why bother? You have proven repeatedly that you are incapable of understanding that incredibly simple concept.

And I have agreed. There are situations where risk is warranted. There are also situations where either zero risk is warranted, or cannot be justified based on the fact that insufficient training, resources, experience, training or command structure is not on scene to support those risks.

The problem here is that we are very far apart on what you consider reasonable calculated risks vs. what I consider reasonable calculated risks. We likely also widely differ on the amount of risk that you believe firefighters, especially volunteer members, should be exposed to given the responsibilities they have to their families.

It is unlikely that we will ever agree, or come close to agreeing, on either point.

Look you ignoramus, you have no concept of claculated risk when you are writing off a building and its occupants before you even arrive on scene. You have no concept of calculated risk if you are writing off a building simply based on its construction method with no knowledge of the location of the fire, the size of the fire, the extent of spread of the fire, and if the fire remains in the compartment or has begun to attack structural members. By your idiotic manner of writing off a building you could very well show up at a structure that you won't enter due to construction type, have a trash can burning in a lunch room producing a large quantity of smoke from plastic in it, and remain outside until the building was consumed by a fire that could have been extinguished with a 2 1/2 gallon water extinguisher. THAT is the problem with idiotic, blanket, do this or don't do that types of policies. They seldom if ever work!

Bull Schitt, nonsense, and just another example of your total and undeniable complete lack of anything close to YOU being an actual fire officer, let alone a firefighter.

So the response time of, in this scenario, the only officer available is not a factor in how the incident unfolds?

it is just another excuse for your inaction.

Suppose it is another stove fire? You know the kind your chief violates all the safety rules you preach about. You know, one that can be extinguished with a dry chem fire extinguisher. If you were in command would that fire have led to a total loss of that home? Never mind I already know the answer.

Would depend on the situation on arrival. And yes, I may decide not to go interior until more resources arrive and lose the home.

This is why you will NEVER, EVER, be taken seriously here. When you can respond like that to a situation so easily handled then you sir, are nothing more than a pathetic poser and certainly not by any stretch of the imagination a firefighter. If you were command and lost that house with the stove fire, and I were your chief, you would be relieved of any and all fire ground duties and told to focus your energy on Pub Ed. I wouldn't even want you responding any longer in the position of firefighter.

There is a difference. YOU WOULDN'T TAKE THOSE RISKS, AND THOSE THERE COULDN'T STOP ME FROM TAKING THEM.

Again, situational.

Nope, just me doing EVERYTHING I can to save MY family. Sorry your mind doesn't work that way. It is truly pathetic what a sad example of a human being you are.

Yet you do little to nothing except make excuses to change that in your VFD.

Not going over what we have done to improve the training aspect of my VFD. It's getting better but still not there, and lack of experience resulting from a lack of fires is still, and likely always will be, a major issue that will handicap operations.

Yet when you have fires you refuse to let them get any experience...BRILLIANT!

And excuses are your best friend.

Call them excuses if you wish. I call them things that will get my guys hurt or killed.

Yeah, excuses.

And you keep saying that, and yet after the time you have been on your volly FD nothing has really changed in that area...

And change takes time.

More time if you don't do anything worthwhile to effect change.

Actually, there is no doubt about it.

Those who work with me don't think so.

Well considering you have essentially called them bumpkins...

You are right, injury or death to citizens is unacceptable to me. Is it a reality? YES IT IS. But just like you refuse to accept any injuries or deaths of firefighters as a possibility, I refuse to coldly and callously not feel anything at all when it occurs. I NEVER want to be that person. The one who feels nothing, yawns and falls back asleep like nothing ever happened. No Bobby, I don't carry them forever, I couldn't. But I don't make my mind pretend they were nothing, like yesterday's trash either.

Well, I am that person and I have no issue being such.

I never called, or referred to anyone as trash.

Never said you called them trash. But if you go to a fire, and have an entire family die in that fire and you feel absolutely nothing, I believe you are mentally ill. Plain and simple. It is not normal to not feel anything at all. The problem you have is you see any aspect of human emotional reaction to that as bad. I see it as normal and a motivator. I don't carry them around my neck like Marley carried his chains of a life of greed, but they are there and I use them to motivate me to be better, to try harder, and to help my fellow firefighters be better.
    Just more proof of how out of normal your thought processes are.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

No, I wouldn't.

People die in fires. Always have. Always will. And many times we in the fire service cannot change that.

And that could include my family, my parents and my friends.

The fact is expect firefighters to perform rescue operations up to the point where they become injured. At that point, the obligation to those in the home end and the obligation to their families, especially volunteers without significant financial protection for their families, begins.
    ZZZZzzzzzz.....more nonsense from the lunatic fringe. Now there is an expectation of financial protection for VFD families. Yet in the next breath we're told that service to the community is what is important and that professionals only do it for the money.
    Last edited by scfire86; 05-19-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Chenzo and conrad427 like this.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

If you think that we should be entering buildings with near heavily to fully involved, near backdraft conditions and/or obviously imminent or ongoing structural collapse, you, my friend ar a complete idiot and hope that you never get anywhere near anywhere of my men.
    And your reading comprehension is pretty lousy too...

And when I say conditions that absolutely rule it out I'm talking heavily to fully involved, near backdraft conditions and/or obviously imminent or ongoing structural collapse. Not 'There's fire showing from a couple of windows'.
    Please note the first ten words of the above quote from my post...here I'll repeat it in bold larger type so maybe you'll see it.

And when I say conditions that absolutely rule it out

Read and comprehend what you're reading before you call someone an idiot.
    Last edited by fotowun; 05-19-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    slackjawedyokel and Chenzo like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    For him? None.

Odds are he'll post something along the lines of "If adequate staffing is present, with the proper amount of training and experience, and fire and structural conditions allow, then an interior attack is warranted."

Actually, not true at all.

The majority of the time my combination department has adequate staffing, training experiences and resources and reaches the scene with sufficient viable property and lives to conduct an interior attack.

The same could also have been said about the previous VFD I left in northwestern VT before coming to LA. Part of the reason that was true was a 26 square mile district with 3 stations (as compared to 100 with 5 stations), a stronger tradition of volunteer firefighting and a much higher budget as well as an aggressive use of automatic mutual aid.

The same is not the truth regarding my current VFD, which has been the focus of this discussion.

Now, there wouldn't generally be anything wrong with that statement, HOWEVER, LA's definition of adequate staffing, training, experience, fire conditions and structural integrity are FAR, FAR off base from the norm.
    Maybe. Maybe not. But in the end it's my call at my incidents.

Forum Member

Yeah, okay.

150K budget vs. 1.4M budget. 16 people on the roster vs nearly 100. 0 paid staff vs. 8 paid staff. 4 paid members volunteering vs. 10-12 paid firefighters working as volunteers. No extrication and technical rescue abilities vs. Extrication tools on every engine plus a heavy rescue and several members with advanced tech rescue training.

Your're right. No difference in capabilities.

Doesn't need to be this time. Because you slam them, tear them down, and basically say they will never amount to anything other than a bunch of yard breathers.

At this time we have limited interior capabilities due to training and experience. If you want to call them yardbreathers ....

Yet your paid staff, by your own admission, isn't even required to respond because hose testing is more important than them responding a rig quickly out the door to aid the citizens.

No, my paid staff (at my combo department) is not required to respond in many cases because we have many qualified volunteers, that in many cases, can handle the run just as well as our paid staff.

And by the way, that's a very good thing.

Simply makes sense to use the volunteers to handle runs when available and allow the paid staff to continue on with assigned daily tasks and chores.

But that has nothing to do with the current discussion regarding the abilities of my VFD, now does it?

Here it is again, one minute you are an authority figure and the next you are anobody with your thumb in your azz. Schizophrenic much?

I don't think anyone has the power to say how to respond regarding your own family.

Of course you will Bobby Boo Boo! Never mind the chance your wife and family might be dead is this make believe scenario, your concern would be pointed towards the injured firefighter. Yeah, right.

Yes it would, especially if my wife died anyway and the member was seriously hurt for no good reason.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    How about reducing the risk at a structure fire? Put out or darken it down and your problems go away.
    squirting water is not hard. You expect me to believe that you can turn out enough people to properly block a hiway scene with two to three main trucks and other stuff? It takes less resources to put out a house fire as Lt. Chenzo has proven.
    Funny .. my VFD does that from the exterior on every structure fire with fire showing out of two or more windows with a 2 1/2" line while we may wait for additional resources.

We also have the option to do it on a room and contents fire if there are not enough members on scene to go interior.

It's called a transitional attack.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fotowun View Post
    And your reading comprehension is pretty lousy too...

Please note the first ten words of the above quote from my post...here I'll repeat it in bold larger type so maybe you'll see it.

And when I say conditions that absolutely rule it out

Read and comprehend what you're reading before you call someone an idiot.
    And if you noticed, in two separate posts I took that back and admitted that I had misread your statement.

Thread Information