Like Tree435Likes

Thread: Hey LA! This one's for you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    That is not how my volunteer Chief, and at his direction, my volunteer department chooses to operate, except in the case of a rescue where all hands are required.
    What do you do when there is a viable victim needing resuce, and your first truck shows up with 1 driver only, 1 interior qualified, and 3 exterior only qualified members? Say "Hold on grandma, don't die in the next 4-20 minutes while we wait for some real firefighters to show up"

What then? What are you going to do? Let her die? Let her succumb to smoke inhalation? Let her burn to death while you hear her screaming? How are you gonna sleep at night? (I know how YOU will) How will your members sleep at night? How will the community feel? Do you even understand the outcry and sh*tstorm from the community that will create?

Do you see the flaws in your operational plan yet? You're department is going to KILL someone. And the family of the person you kill is going to own your department, your chief, your training officer, you as assistant training officer, and EVERY MEMBER that was operating on the fireground that day.

I hope you have a good lawyer on retainer.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    What do you do when there is a viable victim needing resuce, and your first truck shows up with 1 driver only, 1 interior qualified, and 3 exterior only qualified members? Say "Hold on grandma, don't die in the next 4-20 minutes while we wait for some real firefighters to show up"

What then? What are you going to do? Let her die? Let her succumb to smoke inhalation? Let her burn to death while you hear her screaming? How are you gonna sleep at night? (I know how YOU will) How will your members sleep at night? How will the community feel? Do you even understand the outcry and sh*tstorm from the community that will create?

Do you see the flaws in your operational plan yet? You're department is going to KILL someone. And the family of the person you kill is going to own your department, your chief, your training officer, you as assistant training officer, and EVERY MEMBER that was operating on the fireground that day.

I hope you have a good lawyer on retainer.
    So what happens if the 1 interior member shows up alone?

Likely Grandma will die unless the AMA engine can arrive on-scene in a timely fashion.

Do you really believe that somehow having a limited number of interior members is "our plan"? Do you really believe that as department this is where we want to be? Do you think that we like being in the position of wondering when a call comes in if we will have enough interior members for a single handline?

The fact is right now there is no desire, or seemingly no desire in the community, to volunteer for the fire department. Every household in the district knows that we are looking for volunteers as we just sent out a mailer and 2 folks have come forward - one interior (and he is now deployed) and one driver-only. Given the fact that every department in the parish, and every volunteer department that I know of in the northern half of the state is experiencing the same lack of interest in the volunteer fire service, this is hardly an issue localized to our fire district.

So we respond with what we have, and yes, that is a limited number of officers and interior members with VRY limited experience supplemented by a trained number of drivers and exterior members, and in the case of structure fires, an AMA engine company staffed by 3-5.

And we do what we can with what we have until we are able to draw in a couple of more (and yes ... that is the best case reality) members who are physically capable and interested in operating interior. And yes, that also means recruiting additional exterior members and drivers.

Until we can go out and draft the younger members of the community, this, unfortunately is the state of the rural volunteer fire service throughout most of rural LA, and from what I understand via my training and BFA teaching gig travels, many other places in our neighboring states.

You just don't seem to get that volunteer firefighting down here does not have the draw that is does up north. Why is that seemingly so difficult to understand?
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-05-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Likely Grandma will die unless the AMA engine can arrive on-scene in a timely fashion.

Do you really believe that somehow having a limited number of interior members is "our plan"? Do you really believe that as department this is where we want to be? Do you think that we like being in the position of wondering when a call comes in if we will have enough interior members for a single handline?

The fact is right now there is no desire, or seemingly no desire in the community, to volunteer for the fire department. Every household in the district knows that we are looking for volunteers as we just sent out a mailer and 2 folks have come forward - one interior (and he is now deployed) and one driver-only. Given the fact that every department in the parish, and every volunteer department that I know of in the northern half of the state is experiencing the same lack of interest in the volunteer fire service, this is hardly an issue localized to our fire district.

So we respond with what we have, and yes, that is a limited number of officers and interior members with VRY limited experience supplemented by a trained number of drivers and exterior members, and in the case of structure fires, an AMA engine company staffed by 3-5.

And we do what we can with what we have until we are able to draw in a couple of more (and yes ... that is the best case reality) members who are physically capable and interested in operating interior. And yes, that also means recruiting additional exterior members and drivers.

Until we can go out and draft the younger members of the community, this, unfortunately is the state of the rural volunteer fire service throughout most of rural LA, and from what I understand via my training and BFA teaching gig travels, many other places in our neighboring states.

You just don't seem to get that volunteer firefighting down here does not have the draw that is does up north. Why is that seemingly so difficult to understand?
    Honestly....looking at what you are offering as a VFD....I wouldn't want to join it either.

Your too complacent, too lazy, very low (if any) standards, way too accepting of mediocracy. Why would anyone want to be a part of that?
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

It is completely acceptable and done by first arriving company officers every day in this company. Your Chief could have easily gone inside to kock down the fire before it essentially destroyed the entire trailer and then either ley the AMA officer take command or came out as he was relieved by the AMA officer.

The bulk of the fire was knocked down .. from the exterior .. with little additional extension. And command was still in place on the exterior of the structure.

Not according to your original postings on this fire. I will not let you get away wth revisionist history of a fire that your FD took from a one room fire extending into a hallway and turnd into a multiple room burn out with heat and smoke damge throughout the remainder of the trailer.

Again, if you feel that you have command of an incident operating on a handline interior, have at it.

And your idiotic rambling Bull Schitt about working command shows you have absolutely no concept of what it is, how it works, and how the next arriving officer, takes exterior command. Just keep pretending how smart you are when you look like a doofus.

We could have this debate about where command belongs all day long. yes, it is acceptable to have command interior, but there are IMO significant drawbacks to that which have already been discussed at length.

Other than destroying multiple rooms by fire and more by heat and smoke by having your only other interior guy on scene stand outside with his vest and radio...Yep, no sgnificant drawbacks to that.

Observe changes in fire behavior? What a F***ing joke. All he observed was an ineffectual exterior attack that allowed the fire to continue to grow beyond the room of origin down the hall and destroy 2 more rooms by fire and damage the rest of the trailer with smoke and heat.

Again, bulk of the fire knocked down with the exterior line, so I would debate you "ineffectual fire attack" statement. bedroom was already destroyed with fire in the hallway causing significant heat damage to both kitchen and the ceiling and living room on arrival. Yes, there was some fire extension into the kitchen before the interior line was placed into service, but the damage that doomed the fate of the trailer had already been done.

Bobby, by your very own account the fire was in ONE ROOM AND THE HALLWAY. Your inefectual exterior attack allowed the fire to spread. And your attempts to change the story to fit the pathetic firefighting attempts doesn't fly.

I am also sure that there was smoke damage to the two bedrooms on the other end by this time as well.

Of course you are, because it fits your needs.

And exterior command was maintained.

Yippee, as everything the residents owned burned up. WOW!

Oh we know full well how YOU prefer to stay outside if there is actual fire inside.

Nice shot.

Truth hurt?

And to be honest, at 53, I much prefer to be exterior. I have had my days of firefighting and I am more than happy to let the young kids have at it. If that makes me a (insert insult here), so be it.

No, it means if you aren't willing to do the job go back to your pub ed desk on the other FD and hide behind it.

I am 54 and I still go inside, I still do the job, and I will go in with or lead the young guys to help them get better at this thing I call firefighting.

We have enough folks at my combo department where I rarely have to pack-out. (In fact we had a garage fire yesterday ... 5 career members and 12 volunteers within the first 5 minutes on-scene. Picked up another 4-5 volunteers after that to help with overhaul) Unfortunately, that's not the case with my VFD.

I thought you didn't go to fires unless they were short handed? Is this another version of THAT story?

As far as command, yes I much prefer to command an incident from the trunk of my car and it it's a structure fire from the exterior by the roadway where I can communicate face to face with incoming units and outside agencies (LE, EMS, etc.) and have a nice wide view of what's happening. That, IMO, is where IC should be, even in the initial stages of an incident, not interior.

Even if peope are in dire need of rescue and your personal intervention may mean the difference between saving them and their home?

Version 5, you see Bobby, this is the problem when you make Schitt up. Your first version of this story plainly and clearly says, upon arrival the fire was in one room and extending into the hall, then the next versions (when you realized how bad that version made your out standing on the lawn guys look) claim the fire had extended before arrival. My Mom always told me you never have to remember the truth because it is the truth, but every lie must be remembered in intimate detail to hide the fact you lied.

Ya, I was inside the fire before we arrived and I know exactly where the fire stopped.

Then don't post a story of the fire when you don't know your head from a hole in the ground. So are you are finally admitting you made up the first version of this? Or did you make up later versions? because I can go back and quote 5 different versions, by you, of this fire.

Initially that is what I was told. I was then told the next day that the fire likely had extended to the kitchen. But hey. Keep making a big deal out of exactly where the fire was when we arrived. It seems to matter to you.

Keep making a big deal out of the fact you either lied, made schitt up, or weren't smart enough to actually wait until you knew what happened to post on here about it.

It does matter to me, because your first version, the one I like to call the truth, makes an interior attack and the likely saving of the majority of the trailer possible. Later versions, the ones I like to call CYA, after you got hammered by almost everyone here for your VFDs willingness to surrender this property owner's trailer and possessions to the fire, made the fire bigger upon arrival.

How do you know that an interior attack was not going to change things? YOUR VFD NEVER ATTEMPTED ONE! Despite you saying the fire was in ONE ROOM and a HALLWAY. Not in control of the entire trailer.

Because the staffing wasn't there to support an interior attack and a fully functional exterior IC.

You had no one that needed commanding on the exterior. The interior guy and the Chief could have entered and knocked the fire down, the exterior guys could have pulled extra lines and established a water supply. Or did the chief have to hold their hands and direct their every move? If the AMA is from a career FD they hardly need your chief to tell them what to do initially upon arrival at a structure fire.

Frankly, safety genius, it is a lot safer to attack a fire in its early stages than to wait until it heavily damages the structure and then commit people to the interior.

Assuming the staffing is in place to make such an attack genius.

You had 2, you had AMA 4 minutes out. You could have done an interior attack. Now you seek justification for not doing one.
    Just more of the same Bobby...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

We won't go into what I personally would do if I showed up on the engine alone to grandma screaming out the window, or mom telling me her infant is still in the crib, because your head and many others would probably spin at that notion. Your department? Grandma is going to die. We all know that. You just seem to accept that as okay.

Are you telling your community the capabilities, or lack-there-of that your "fire department" has offer? If not, you're lying and deceiving your community. When the EMS service I'm on was struggling for members, (before I myself was a member) they did post cards, mailings, flyers, and even put an article in the paper explaining why things were the way they were, and why it may not be the home ambulance that shows up to their house. Have you informed your community that you can't, or that there's a high probably that you can't, initiate a rescue on a viable victim? Does your community know if they have a fire, there is a greater chance that you're going to show up and do nothing than show up and save their house, possessions, and possibly family members?

Then perhaps it's time to COMPLETELY change the way things are done in the entire parish.

So basically you respond with enough of your own guys to lob water in the windows and hope for the best until your AMA department arrives. Does your community know this? Do they know they are protected by a facade of a fire department? Do they know that it's likely their house will burn down and any family trapped inside will die?

Exterior members and drivers are fine if you have the staff to go INTERIOR as well. Drivers/Exterior only members are supposed to be a SUPPLEMENT, not the CORE of a fire department.

It's not the drawing members I don't understand. It's your ability to write off structures and civilians in a blink of an eye. It's your mindset that the level your department is at is acceptable because that's "All you can muster" right now. It's your posts on here, touting that you're doing what you can and that's okay. The new wave "everyone get's a medal" mindset. As long as you tried your best, even if you burned the house down and killed a family, everything's fine. And the biggest thing, is the lies and deception that your "fire department" portrays to the community. Until you start telling them "Look, we're understaffed and undertrained, your house is probably going to burn down, and your loved ones might die" I will continue to tell you that you and your department are pathetic and there is more that you could be doing to change things.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Honestly....looking at what you are offering as a VFD....I wouldn't want to join it either.

Your too complacent, too lazy, very low (if any) standards, way too accepting of mediocracy. Why would anyone want to be a part of that?
    Quite honestly, I wouldn't join his VFD if they PAID me, because I couldn't accept such mediocrity and low standards. I couldn't be a member of a department knowing full well there was a possibility that my officer that day would order me to stand outside while I listened to grandma scream inside until she died.

Forum Member

Quite honestly, I wouldn't join his VFD if they PAID me, because I couldn't accept such mediocrity and low standards. I couldn't be a member of a department knowing full well there was a possibility that my officer that day would order me to stand outside while I listened to grandma scream inside until she died.
    Well then, you would have a problem with most rural departments in most of this state, as well as neighboring states, because that is the funding and manpower situation.

Forum Member

Well then, you would have a problem with most rural departments in most of this state, as well as neighboring states, because that is the funding and manpower situation.
    You're grasp on the obvious in this particular situation is astonishing.

Forum Member

It's not the drawing members I don't understand. It's your ability to write off structures and civilians in a blink of an eye. It's your mindset that the level your department is at is acceptable because that's "All you can muster" right now.

And where I have I said that's it's acceptable? Where have I said that I am happy, or that we as an organization are happy with our situation? Where have I stated that we do not want more interior members?

As an officer, as much as I don't like it, I have no option but to accept our current situation when evaluating what we as a department can and cannot do on the scene of an incident. I can't magically make bodies appear so I have no option other than to accept the fact that it's quite likely that I will not be able to operate interior at our next structure fire.

That does not mean we are not working to change it, but if the tones drop an hour from now I likely have 1, 2 or 3 interior folks responding with a couple of exterior members, and maybe ... depending on the shift schedule .. another officer.

That is the reality today. I have no other option but to accept it.

And as bad as it is, I know it's far better than at least 3 other departments in the parish.

It's your posts on here, touting that you're doing what you can and that's okay.

Yes, it's the only thing can be done.

The new wave "everyone get's a medal" mindset. As long as you tried your best, even if you burned the house down and killed a family, everything's fine.

No, but we did what we could do with the resources and manpower at hand. Again, would I have preferred to have a second interior man to get the handline in sooner? Sure. Had the Chief not had me pass the road to the scene to get the tanker up (which we ended up not using), I would have arrived one or two minutes ahead of the AMA engine and likely could have gotten the line interior with the other firefighter, but he felt that water responding was the need at that time.

The operation went well given the resources. the fire was knocked down quickly. We used less than 1500g of water. Nobody was hurt. But yes the building was lost though it was actually lost before we arrived.

As far as standards such as FFI, it is something that is simply not done by any VFD or combo department (for their volunteer members) in this part of the state. Like it or not, that's the reality just like exterior members and driver-only members are the reality and the backbone of many a rural VFDs.

And the biggest thing, is the lies and deception that your "fire department" portrays to the community. Until you start telling them "Look, we're understaffed and undertrained, your house is probably going to burn down, and your loved ones might die" I will continue to tell you that you and your department are pathetic and there is more that you could be doing to change things.

And as I have stated, the community for the most part is well aware of what they have for a fire department.

Forum Member

And as I have stated, the community for the most part is well aware of what they have for a fire department.
    I don't believe you. I simply don't believe you. "The community for the most part is well aware" is just another bullschitt front saying that you don't have the cajones to tell your district their fire protection is inadequate.

Until you can say that "As a department we've come straight forward to our community and said 'look, we don't have the staffing. If your house catches fire, there's a high likelihood it's going to burn down, and all of your possession will be lost. There's also a high likelihood that if any of your family is trapped inside, that they are going to perish in the fire, or succumb to smoke inhalation. We just don't have the manpower,'" I simply won't believe that your district is informed that there fire department is inadequate and deceptive.

Forum Member

I'm off to a conference for 3 days.

Ya'll have fun with this while I'm gone.

Forum Member

It's not like you're a big loss here, or to your department.

Forum Member

Um, duh?

Oh and where is the data to support your proclaiming this statement about VFDs in neighboring states? Or is it just more of the made up Bobby Bull Schitt?
    Chenzo likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

It's a how to stand outside and not be psychologically affected when you allow people to die or their possessions to be destroyed conference.

Because frankly, the way he operates, any further money spent educating LA is a F***ing waste of tax payer dollars.
    slackjawedyokel and Chenzo like this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

A "How to speak out of both sides of your mouth: Preaching that all LODDs are preventable while being a risk factor yourself" conference? Was it hard to organize?
    Chenzo likes this.
    "I am an aggressive firefighter, and that is not an apology."

FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF

Forum Member

Exactly! And you wonder why nobody wants to be a part of your "team"!
    FyredUp, Chenzo and conrad427 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaBronie View Post
    Excellent post.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    It's a how to stand outside and not be psychologically affected when you allow people to die or their possessions to be destroyed conference.

Because frankly, the way he operates, any further money spent educating LA is a F***ing waste of tax payer dollars.
    You know that kind of wheeze belly laugh you do when something is uncomfortably funny and true at the same time? I do.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

LAFE IS IN THE BACKGROUND doing all the work.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire71EMT View Post
    Wow! He's 53? He looks like crap. No wonder he has cardiac issues.

It's obvious he is of the pathetic mindset of being desperate to be thought a hero. One of the many reasons he'll never quit.
    Last edited by scfire86; 06-06-2013 at 03:56 PM.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire71EMT View Post
    Holy stalker Batman.

Sorta creepy dude that you would take the time to look for a picture of me online.

By the way ... one line fire ... car in the garage ... minimal structral involvement ... I hand jacked a LDH supply line while they made initial attack as we had 6-8 interior members on arrival.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Wow! He's 53? He looks like crap. No wonder he has cardiac issues.

It's obvious he is of the pathetic mindset of being desperate to be thought a hero. One of the many reasons he'll never quit.
    Wow most people think I look great and far younger than 53.

You obviously have poor taste in men.

As far as being hero, not the case. But I will quit when my doctor feels that my health is an issue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JaBronie View Post
    Might be the case, but that's fine.

The fact is that with our response times and travel distances, most structures that catch fire outside of the most southern part of our district will burn and likely the occupants will die before we arrive.

Time and fire behavior can't be altered.

Forum Member

Wow most people think I look great and far younger than 53.
    Like who? Your mom doesn't count.

You obviously have poor taste in men.
    I have none.

As far as being hero, not the case. But I will quit when my doctor feels that my health is an issue.
    Sure it is. It's obvious to everyone.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

I knew he couldn't stay away for 3 days. Talk about a narcissist.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

Thread Information