Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BoxAlarm187

Thread: Vindicator Nozzles, YES I KNOW IT HAS BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default Vindicator Nozzles, YES I KNOW IT HAS BEEN DISCUSSED BEFORE!

I am looking for USERS of the Vindicator nozzle, particularly with 1 3/4 or 2 inch hose, to talk about their eperiences with it. Do you like it, hate it, indifferent? Would you support buying it again?

I am contemplating bringing it back up again and seeing if I can get some support for them on my POC FDs. I liked the high flow low nozzle reaction I experienced when testing them.

Anyways, let me know if they worked out for your FD. Thanks.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Let's talk fire trucks!

We carry a Vindicator on my volunteer engine, and we carry one on every engine at work. In both departments, they're being run on 1.75" lines.

At the volunteer house, it's our first nozzle off the rig when we have flames showing from the exterior on arrival. Because of our 53-square-mile first due area with (sometimes) extended response times, there's a chance that the fire may have grown to a point that structural integrity could be an issue. The Vindicator allows us to apply a great volume of water to the seat of the fire with a highly maneuverable handline and limited manpower.

At work, we don't use the Vindicators all that often. The reasons are abundant (officer's preference, quick response times, staffing allows more aggressive attacks), but they're highly effective when on something greater than a room-and-contents fire.

The Vindicator isn't a substitute for your standard 15/16" smooth bore or automatic nozzles, and I would never advocate that it should be. We've found it to be a good selection for fires requiring medium or high-caliber attack lines. When we take delivery of our new CAFS pumper this winter, we'll have to evaluate the Vindictor's effectiveness with the CAFS solution.
    RFDACM02 likes this.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Our first due has two 200 ft bu,per loads of 1.75", a Vindicator Heavy Attack on one load and a 15/16" tip on the other. The choice is generally up to the nozzleman, but the crews are well aware of the relative ease at which the Vindicator handles higher flows, thus the VHA is the recommended choice for "probable" situations. Our experience has been the only downside is that at lower flows, the VHA is very tip heavy and at NP's under 65 psi or better the line kinks just behind the nozzle fairly easily making it harder to push it way out in front as would be the typical position. Next day in a can look for our actual flow test data, where we ran the VHA on both 1.75" and 2.5" to see how it handled at different flows and the relative ease for 1 FF, 2 FF's and 3 FF's at those flows. At the moment all I can say was that it bested the 15/16" smoothbore and our Elkhart SM-30 Auto Fogs on every mark except the low flow.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Thanks Guys, I was looking for actual users of the Vindicator to see if it was worth chasing this idea or not.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Ill be honest I had to google what these were, have never heard of them before lol

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Thanks Guys, I was looking for actual users of the Vindicator to see if it was worth chasing this idea or not.
    We also found their claims of great A Foam were pretty accurate as well. The broken steam and air entraining inlets allow for decent quality A foam, though I doubt CAFs would work well, it'll interesting to see how BoxAlarm 187's tests go.

Thread Information