Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: multiple departmens?

Default multiple departments?

hey everyone! I was wondering if any of ya'll volunteer for multiple departments in your area? I am on a local vfd and the town where I work is looking desperately for volunteers during the daytime hours. this got me wondering "how often do people volunteer for multiple departments?" I know some departments require you to live within their immediate district but this is not always the case. just curious to see how many people actually do this.
    Last edited by 19firefighter84; 05-09-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 19firefighter84 View Post
    hey everyone! I was wondering if any of ya'll volunteer for multiple departments in your area? I am on a local vfd and the town where I work is looking desperately for volunteers during the daytime hours. this got me wondering "how often do people volunteer for multiple departments?" I know some departments require you to live within their immediate district but this is not always the case. just curious to see how many people actually do this.
    I'm on the fire department in the village where I live, and I'm also on the neighboring FD.

The requirement for both departments is that you live within 5 miles of the station.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

I work for a combination department, and volunteer for the next department over in the neighboring parish.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Our volunteer department requires that you live in the district. It's not too bad though because our district is 2040 square miles. I live eight miles from the station. Our dept. requires that live here, but the neighboring dept. does not. So I could be in theirs but they cant be in ours.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I am a POC FF on the volunteer fire department in the village I live in, and in the community 5 miles away.

I am also a career firefighter in a Milwaukee suburb 100 miles away from where I live.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

I'm a career time waster, specializing in urbanite displacement/redistribution, with an emphasis on cieling tile hole counting. Off duty I render full cans of beer useless to pro's.
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I am a POC FF on the volunteer fire department in the village I live in, and in the community 5 miles away.

I am also a career firefighter in a Milwaukee suburb 100 miles away from where I live.
    A triple hatter??

We have a policy that you may not be a member of another department. Several years ago we had a guy who was on two departments. He got in a crash while responding to the other department's station for a call and it was a total Charlie Foxtrox for PR so we made that policy.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

County policy is that you can only belong to 1 department in the county (ALS and Haz-Mat don't count). Part of the reason for that is keeping track of LOSAP. Nothing keeps people from joining a department in another county. Because of our location, not many do. We have one person now who is a member in another county. As long as he keeps up his participation points, we don't have a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    A triple hatter??

We have a policy that you may not be a member of another department. Several years ago we had a guy who was on two departments. He got in a crash while responding to the other department's station for a call and it was a total Charlie Foxtrox for PR so we made that policy.
    So one member getting into one car accident caused a rock solid policy of membership in only one FD? WHY?

Yes, a triple hatter, and it was damn close to having 4 hats at one point...But the Commander in Chief put her foot down on that one!!

My personal policy has been which ever POC FD pages first gets me responding to them. YES, I have worked fires, or MVAs with my other FD responding in mutual aid. Since both FDs wrk together very very it has never been an issue.

As for my response behavior in my car. I follow department protocol for response and it has never been an issue. I realize that I am responsible for my actions behind the wheel and I drive appropriately.
    Maybe it's not too late

YES, I have worked fires, or MVAs with my other FD responding in mutual aid.
    I always get a chuckle whenever we're at a call with #2 and they mutual aid #1, like that apartment "fire" downtown last year.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    I always get a chuckle whenever we're at a call with #2 and they mutual aid #1, like that apartment "fire" downtown last year.
    Yeah, we always get the deer in the headlights look from #1 POC FD members when they see us there already working.

We do see a bit more action over there.
    Chenzo likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

In NY you can only volunteer with one department, although you can be on a career-staffed department and still volunteer, which a fair number do.

On the other hand, there are a couple of arrangements that will allow a firefighter to run with multiple departments. One is to get standing permission from the second department (a letter perhaps). The home chief should also be aware. This is used sometimes where an individual works for a business where he/she can get away to answer alarms. Such a firefighter must be a member somewhere else, obviously.

The second method is similar, but the enabling factor is that they are recognized as an "affiliate" of the second department. Doing so is very similar to becoming a member, but you don't become a member of the department, just an "affiliate." We see that here in instances where someone has a seasonal residence here but lives elsewhere in the state and belongs to the department there. It's just a little more formal than the first method.

A third method is to simply check in with the IC and verify that they'll accept your services and the responsibility for your well-being that goes along with that. That applies even if you're just passing through and stop to help.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

So one member getting into one car accident caused a rock solid policy of membership in only one FD? WHY?
    Yes. This particular individual was not the sharpest knife in the drawer let's say....a kind of ramrod type of guy that once the pager went off he removed his head and inserted it up his arse!

There were other issues too like claiming workmens comp injury while on duty for me which really was from the crash while responding to the other department. He tried to file a claim at both departments and lost them both. Plus there is always the issue of him developing some sort of long term illness and under which department did you catch if from? One of the issues that always comes up from two hatting. We decided that to avoid that big ball of crap we just made a blanket policy that employees may not be a member of any other department.

Now there is an exception that a career firefighter may be an employee of our department. We have had only one career firefighter be a member of our department and that was only for 3-4 years before he decided to build his dream home and moved out of the area. (log cabin in the middle of 40 acres) which I certainly can't blame him!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I'm a career time waster, specializing in urbanite displacement/redistribution, with an emphasis on cieling tile hole counting. Off duty I render full cans of beer useless to pro's.
    How do you keep count of the holes in the tiles? I usually drift off and lose count. Tried circling em with a sharpie, but waay too much work.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Yes. This particular individual was not the sharpest knife in the drawer let's say....a kind of ramrod type of guy that once the pager went off he removed his head and inserted it up his arse!

There were other issues too like claiming workmens comp injury while on duty for me which really was from the crash while responding to the other department. He tried to file a claim at both departments and lost them both. Plus there is always the issue of him developing some sort of long term illness and under which department did you catch if from? One of the issues that always comes up from two hatting. We decided that to avoid that big ball of crap we just made a blanket policy that employees may not be a member of any other department.

Now there is an exception that a career firefighter may be an employee of our department. We have had only one career firefighter be a member of our department and that was only for 3-4 years before he decided to build his dream home and moved out of the area. (log cabin in the middle of 40 acres) which I certainly can't blame him!
    So you allow exceptions for career firefighters to volunteer to your FD, but a volunteer from another FD can't? Or you guys can't volly to another FD. Do your rules exempt YOUR career guys from vollying somewhere else? Because if it does...well it seems kind of, well, hypocritical. You are willing to accept other paid guys as vollies, but your paid guys can't volly...

Further, it seems to me that instead of setting hard and fast rules for behavior, and punishing violators, you simply killed off the entire option. I am just a big enough agitator that as a volly I would push the issue that if your exemption allows only paid guys from other FDs to volly there you are discriminating. It would seem your position would be EXTREMELY difficult to defend.
    Maybe it's not too late

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

During my fire service career, my resume has looked kind of like this:

1994 - Start volunteering with VFD "A"
    1998 - Start volunteering with VFD "B" while still volunteering with "A"
    2000 - Stop volunteering with "B"
    2000 - Get hired, continue to volunteer with "A"
    2008 - Start volunteering with VFD "C," while still on the job, and still volunteering with "A"
    2009 - Stop volunteering with "C", continue to work and continue to volunteer with "A"
    Today - Career lieutenant and volunteer chief officer

I had different reasons for joining volunteer departments B and C. However, one was 30 minutes from home, and the other an hour from home, so conflicts with department A were non-existant, and I have always fulfilled by obligations to my home department.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

I am with Waco Vol Fire Department as a Firefighter and a Member of the Executive board of Directors.

I also am with Red Lick Vol. Fire Department. Both Departments are within My county and I dont live very far from either of them.
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    How do you keep count of the holes in the tiles? I usually drift off and lose count. Tried circling em with a sharpie, but waay too much work.
    Take a straw and toilet paper (preferably unused) with you to bed. Fire the spitwads up there using a grid pattern. Count out the grid before starting a new one.
    IAFF

Forum Member

During the day when coverage is stretched thin, I'll go out with a neighboring VFD that we MA with all the time. Everyone knows everyone and genuinely appreciates the extra hands.

Forum Member

I volunteer with 2 departments. The local volunteer fire department and the neighboring fire district. I used to work in that fire district, so I was "drafted" to fight fires, when I was there during work hours.

Sometimes, we will be at a fire and mutual aid departments will ask what department am I with, the volunteer or fire district. I sometimes get my volunteer dept. bunker gear and take that to fires in the fire district, since the closer guys take the trucks for them.

Thread Information