Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Catholic Firefighters

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Catholic Firefighters

We have started a new Facebook Page for Catholic Firefighters. Please take a look and "Like" if you will thanks.
    http://www.facebook.com/CatholicFire...ternationalCfi.

C.F.I was developed in Indianapolis In. in 2000 by Bradley Duffy. We started a Chapter in Kansas City in 2005. The Chapter has stayed pretty steady. With Mr. Duffys permission I have taken up the charge for the CFI. I want to thank Mr. Duffy and his group for all the hard work they did getting the CFI going.

Brian Spini
    Last edited by Spini1; 05-10-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Forum Member

How can I receive more information about your orgization? As a Catholic Firefighter I'm interested in your orgization, but the Facebook page does not have much on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

No disrespect you you or your choice of religion, but do we as a fire service need to factionalize anymore that we already do? I think what Don Imus said about firefighters right after 9/11 was a very powerful thing (paraphrasing): "the great thing about firefighters is that their not black or white, male or female, democrats or republics, their firefighters and they just go to work without question when we need them".

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    No disrespect you you or your choice of religion, but do we as a fire service need to factionalize anymore that we already do? I think what Don Imus said about firefighters right after 9/11 was a very powerful thing (paraphrasing): "the great thing about firefighters is that their not black or white, male or female, democrats or republics, their firefighters and they just go to work without question when we need them".
    I was sincerely hoping someone besides me would make this point.
    HBofCJ likes this.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

Fyred and RFD - on the one hand, I agree. Creating factions where there are none is never a good thing.

But unless the group develops into an us-versus-them type of thing, I don't see how this is much different than a bunch of NASCAR fan firefighters (or pick another activity) getting together. They have a common interest. That it's faith-based is of no consequence.

I have no stock in faith-based (or any other) groups. If they (or the hunters, or race fans, or model railroaders) want to get together, let 'em. I'm not a big race fan, either, so don't bother inviting me to the big Daytona party. I have to wash my hair...
    conrad427 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Fyred and RFD - on the one hand, I agree. Creating factions where there are none is never a good thing.

But unless the group develops into an us-versus-them type of thing, I don't see how this is much different than a bunch of NASCAR fan firefighters (or pick another activity) getting together. They have a common interest. That it's faith-based is of no consequence.

I have no stock in faith-based (or any other) groups. If they (or the hunters, or race fans, or model railroaders) want to get together, let 'em. I'm not a big race fan, either, so don't bother inviting me to the big Daytona party. I have to wash my hair...
    I am opposed to any type of group or organization that creates divisions among firefighters. No group like this ever forms without an agenda to push. Once that occurs and people feel pressure then conflict occurs.
    HBofCJ likes this.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I am opposed to any type of group or organization that creates divisions among firefighters. No group like this ever forms without an agenda to push. Once that occurs and people feel pressure then conflict occurs.
    I agree. While I am happy that everyone has a choice of their religion, I fear that religion tends to be one of the most, if not the single most divisive issue in the world. What does one have to do with the other? Are there not enough other firefighters to fraternize with? Are there not enough Catholics to fraternize with? Why the need to bring these together. In almost ever other case where a subset of firefighter is established, controversy ensues: volunteers vs. paid, ethnicity based groups, gender groups, there is always some sort of us and them fight. In the end it has no effect on my day, but I hate to see any other thing our fire service could be divided over, it's hard enough to convince people they can't fight fire with fog nozzles!
    FyredUp, Chenzo and HBofCJ like this.

Forum Member

I think you guys are over analyzing this deal. Seriously.
    BoxAlarm187 and USCGFF like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    I think you guys are over analyzing this deal. Seriously.
    Nope. If you are a firefighter you are a fighter. We don't need fragmentation by groups for whatever reason. There is time outside of the fire department for other groups and beliefs.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I dont know. We were just people before, now we are firefighter people.

Is the religion angle getting under yer saddle?

Forum Member

No, I don't agree with any (Fill in the blank) firefighter group. They all have an agenda that they want to further and all that does is increase the division.

As for religion believe what ever you choose, my issue comes in when someone says "no thank you, I have my own beliefs" and all that does it make the person pushing their religion push harder. Thus creating conflict where there didn't need to be any.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I'll tell you what Don, I really appreciate your opinion.

Forum Member

There was a thread on here not too long ago that asked people to determine when you can call yourself a firefighter. We couldn't even agree on that.

While I agree with FyredUp's statment "I am opposed to any type of group or organization that creates divisions among firefighters." - we ourselves can't even agree on what a "firefighter" is. The Fire Service makes enough divisions all by itself.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    There was a thread on here not too long ago that asked people to determine when you can call yourself a firefighter. We couldn't even agree on that.

While I agree with FyredUp's statment "I am opposed to any type of group or organization that creates divisions among firefighters." - we ourselves can't even agree on what a "firefighter" is. The Fire Service makes enough divisions all by itself.
    Aw, I may have softened on that topic too. I do believe there is a difference between interior and exterior firefighters, and that interior firefighters are more important on scene than exterior, but in the end they are all firefighters.
    Maybe it's not too late

MembersZone Subscriber

It's not a big deal, but again, the question is why would anyone find it necessary? We do see some subsets of firefighters creating all kinds of discord amongst us as a whole. Many a subset arise when those who meet the "requirements" feel aggrieved by other firefighters. Very often this leads to greater widespread bias against the subset. I find in life the more you identify with a smaller group (usually more radical as the size gets smaller) the more alienated you become. We have this fairly large group of people that exist to good things (for pay or not) and anything that is a subset of that creates problems for the group as a whole. We have enough in-fighting to address, why potentially start another sore spot.

Again, I have not specific issue, just a perception that this will lead to more harm than good. I seriously would like to know what the perceived benefit of a Catholic Firefighter group will bring to the group itself or the fire service as a whole.
    FyredUp likes this.

Forum Member

Not sure I would care what the perceived benefit would be.

What would happen if the dept. got together and half wanted the Seahawks to win and the rest wanted the Pats to win?

I see it as human nature to want to be a part of a group that has similar interests.

Forum Member

Not sure I would care what the perceived benefit would be.

What would happen if the dept. got together and half wanted the Seahawks to win and the rest wanted the Pats to win?

I see it as human nature to want to be a part of a group that has similar interests.
    Not even close to an equal comparison.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

You dont think so?

How about firefighters who get together and ride motorcycles?

We are so freaking divided as it is what the hell is the difference? Some of us are volunteers, some paid, some wildland guys, some smokejumpers, truckies, rescue guys, engine types, democrats, republicans, coke, pepsi, you name it.

The Catholics might cause inner conflict in a dept? Who the hell would notice?
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.

Forum Member

An organization that creates division among firefighters, seems like you are the one trying to start something, where no problem exist.

Forum Member

Nope. If you are a firefighter you are a fighter. We don't need fragmentation by groups for whatever reason. There is time outside of the fire department for other groups and beliefs.
    If by your way of thinking then we don't need emerald societies or groups such as the Red Knights then. I just think you guys are tring to create a problem where one has not exixted before.
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USCGFF View Post
    An organization that creates division among firefighters, seems like you are the one trying to start something, where no problem exist.
    Awfully sensitive aren't you? I stated my opinion, I attacked no individual group and explained why I don't see a need for such groups. You on the other hand instead of defending your position chose to attack me. Remind me again who is creating division?
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USCGFF View Post
    If by your way of thinking then we don't need emerald societies or groups such as the Red Knights then. I just think you guys are tring to create a problem where one has not exixted before.
    See my response to you above.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

You dont think so?

No, I don't.

How about firefighters who get together and ride motorcycles?

What agenda within the fire service are guys that ride motorcycles pushing? That is why your football fan comparison and your motorcycle comparison aren't even close to any number of "firefighter" groups. The activities you mention really have no agenda to push within the fire service.

We are so freaking divided as it is what the hell is the difference? Some of us are volunteers, some paid, some wildland guys, some smokejumpers, truckies, rescue guys, engine types, democrats, republicans, coke, pepsi, you name it.

Wow you really want to stretch this out into everything don't you? I think you forgot boxers and briefs.

The Catholics might cause inner conflict in a dept? Who the hell would notice?

I have worked with some religious zealots that wouldn't take not interested for an answer. THAT led to conflict. You don't believe me fine. I don't care what anyone believes religiously, just when someone else says no, back off. Too bad some won't and then see it as their personal crusade to save you.

The same can be said for any splinter group pushing any agenda within the fire house.
    You don't have to agree with me, that's one of the things that make this country great.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Geeze, I hear you there. I dont like pushy people either. I had a friend that got harrased pretty good once, they finally said that they were gonna help him find Jesus. My buddy replied "well Shi#, I did not know he was lost." They left him alone after that.

I have no problem with people who want to associate with people that believe the same as them. Is firefighting so sacred a profession or vocation that we are not allowed to be Catholic Firefighters, or Atheist firefighters? Union, non union seems to be a bit contentions, but that is okay?

What agenda are the Catholics pushing? No meat on friday's? Giving up towel fights in the wash room during lent?

Nothing personal Don, I am enjoying the conversation.

Forum Member

I don't think the assumption should be made that any group, religious or otherwise, would be pushing an agenda. The individuals who do that have little need for a group. They'll push their agenda regardless.

My department has numerous groups. Pretty much one for everything. Some do push an agenda, but not the religious ones. Of course, they are not allowed to do so. (Technically anyway.) But I've never seen it.

I don't know where volunteer departments fit in as far as the church and state thing goes. Paid departments have all kinds of rules. What people do off duty is their business for the most part. The fact that a given firefighter is a member of a Catholic firefighter's group would not even be known to co-workers, unless he/she pushes it. As I said above, membership in a group is not needed to do this.
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.

Thread Information