Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1017181920212223 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Seattle 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysrainy View Post
    Yep, 210-215 ... And kind of sounds like they expect that number to drop a little more. No one said anything about notifications if you are dq'd
    Who did you talk to in HR? I Emailed Sue and she said there was no DQ's, and that there was still 250+ left on the eligibility list. Did you get "Inside information"? No biggie either way I was just wondering.

Forum Member

GRNFT I sent you a PM

Forum Member

I got it. I'm working but will get you an answer this week.

Forum Member

HR told me yesterday that if you don't a conditional for the first class that they won't be giving out ranks. Sucks you won't know where you stand if you're not chosen for the first class, be by that phone! Good luck to all of you!

Forum Member

GRNFT, do you know why they won't give out ranks?

Forum Member

I do not. I too wish there was more transparency at this stage. My guess is because SFD isn't required to go 1, 2, 3, down the list, that they don't have to answer questions of why someone was skipped. Still looking to get 75 hires off of the registry. Not bad odds.

Already hearing of people getting passed over for August class because they don't have an EMT. Everyone has known an August class was coming since the written exam and that an EMT would be required. Don't miss your chance because you don't/won't have it. And if you do, you're moving up the list...

7 graduates from Recruit Class 100 today. Start in operations on Sunday. Congrats.
    APW88 likes this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    I do not. I too wish there was more transparency at this stage. My guess is because SFD isn't required to go 1, 2, 3, down the list, that they don't have to answer questions of why someone was skipped. Still looking to get 75 hires off of the registry. Not bad odds.

Already hearing of people getting passed over for August class because they don't have an EMT. Everyone has known an August class was coming since the written exam and that an EMT would be required. Don't miss your chance because you don't/won't have it. And if you do, you're moving up the list...

7 graduates from Recruit Class 100 today. Start in operations on Sunday. Congrats.
    Are people pulling themselves out for not having EMT? There's technically plenty of time between offers going out and start of recruit school to get EMT certified

Forum Member

Some people will not have it done by August start date for one reason or another. They can defer but seems a shame to have to miss out on something you can control in 90% of cases.

Forum Member

GRNFT,

What you do mean by defer. If you were receive a conditional offer and didn't have your EMT license, could you defer your offer until the February class? Or will they make sure not to send out offers to people who don't have their EMT license?

Forum Member

In the past they have called folks and asked when their EMT would be ready. If not in time for the first class they would ask you to update them when it was completed. I don't know if that guarantees you a spot in subsequent class or not. I know recently some that didn't have an EMT were allowed in to a future class after getting it. However the needs of the department and city change and no class or spot is ever guaranteed. Why risk it if you don't have to? If you have to you have to.

Forum Member

My Chief's interview went well and I finished the CPAT today. My work is done. Now we wait for a call. 10+ days to go! Keep your heads up!

Forum Member

Thank you GRNFT for the quick reply! One more thing, any word yet on if they will start placing calls on the 16th or will it be a later date?
    Last edited by crossfit42; 06-07-2014 at 01:36 AM.

Forum Member

Hey guys/gals. I have been doing a little research and found some good reading that you might enjoy/ give a better perspective statistically and goal wise for this current hiring process. Cheers * check the link below

**also, thank you GRNFD for being on top of keeping us updated on this process from the inside. I have noticed in other prior forums that you have been helping for some years now and we appreciate it!

http://www.seattle.gov/personnel/emp...SONNEL-WEB.pdf

Forum Member

No sweat. I hope it helps. I remember operating in a vacuum at times trying to navigate this process. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

GRNFT- do you know how they rank after the third interview? Is it 100% off your interview or does your employment packet and you as a whole play a factor?

Forum Member

No idea. It's a mystery

Forum Member

Does anyone know when/how your employers will be contacted? Are conditionals still a go for the 16th? One more week!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WPSMedic View Post
    Who did you talk to in HR? I Emailed Sue and she said there was no DQ's, and that there was still 250+ left on the eligibility list. Did you get "Inside information"? No biggie either way I was just wondering.
    That's interesting... I don't recall her name, shorter dark haired gal... I asked her if the list had been narrowed and she said it had been, and she didn't know the exact number but guessed that 210 ish range..

Also she told me to expect calls more towards the last weeks in June and even a possibility into the first week in July

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysrainy View Post
    That's interesting... I don't recall her name, shorter dark haired gal... I asked her if the list had been narrowed and she said it had been, and she didn't know the exact number but guessed that 210 ish range..

Also she told me to expect calls more towards the last weeks in June and even a possibility into the first week in July
    Either way I hope you're right.

Forum Member

The 2013 candidate information on the SFD website has been updated.

"Notification regarding conditional offers for the August 2014 Recruit Class will be made through the end of June. Medical exams are scheduled through the end of July.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When is the next EMT class going to be offered by Seattle Fire Department?

A. Candidates selected for a spot in a King County EMT course will be notified by early July. The Fall course is 14 weeks long, held Wednesday evenings and Saturday days, beginning September 3, 2014. Detailed information will be forwarded to selected candidates.

Q: How many positions are typically filled?

A: 25-50 positions are typically filled by the Fire Department from each register. This will vary according to the Fire Department’s needs, which are continuously assessed throughout the year.

Q: Who do I contact if I have a question?

A: All applicants should review the Firefighter Job Bulletin. If you have a question that is not answered in the Job Bulletin, you may contact the Seattle Personnel Department via email at Colleen.Lafferty@seattle.gov or by phone at (206) 615-0581. For Pre-Employment Screening questions, please email SFD.Recruitment@seattle.gov."

Thread Information