Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Seattle 2013

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    That's correct on the medic thing. However, there are stipulations that medics from elsewhere can apply earlier than the 3 years. It's not guaranteed acceptance, but you can apply earlier. All SFD medics must go through the Medic One Paramedic program (about 10 months long).
    Thanks for the info!! Hopefully I get the opportunity to join such a great dept. My goal would be to eventually get my EMT-P in the state of WA

Forum Member

Has anyone received their scores yet?

Forum Member

Was just going to ask that, figured we would by now...

Forum Member

They said by the 15th for scores. If you haven't heard anything by the 22nd you need to call. Still have a few days before you'll probably see anything.

Forum Member

It actually says on the website that you should receive your scores by the 15th and if not you have to call recruiting by the 22nd

Forum Member

A. Candidates should receive the results of their written exam by November 15, 2013. Candidates will receive notice via email or U.S. mail, according to their preference as entered on their application. Candidates who do not receive notice by November 15 should contact this office by November 22, 2013 (see contact information below).

Forum Member

Got my score today, looks like they're starting to be sent out

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDome7 View Post
    Got my score today, looks like they're starting to be sent out
    Me too. 93
    Looks like 81.4 was passing

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    5800+ signed up for the test. I don't know how many actually took it yet. The written is a pass/fail. They set the cut off score at a point where they have enough to move to the oral boards. They always tell people to shoot for mid 80s, but i've seen the cut off be in the upper 70s before. This year was the most we've ever had (to my knowledge) register, so no idea how many will move on or if that skews the cut off score higher. In the past you received a score. Now you just are told pass or fail and if you pass a date for your oral board #1. Your place on the list is determined by your average of the 2 oral boards (you have to advance past the first one to the second and then advance from the second--i.e. pass both to get a score and placed on the registry). Vets points are then added to that score and they place you on the registry. Hope that helps.
    GRNFT I have a question in regards to the interview orientation. If I don't assist will I be missing on a lot of information that I will need for orals? I am asking because I am out of state, and the tickets are expensive for the days that they will be having the orientation, and also challenging with school and work I would appreciate it if you could let me know ASAP thank you for your time.

Forum Member

Got my score back today! Passed! For those that will be attending the oral board orientation, mind passing along that information. Coming from Hawaii so it gets REALLY expensive for me. Thanks.

Forum Member

Passed also. We're still a very long way off. I'm in the same boat as you tattedfire. Except it's the other direction, Florida. Info from the oral board workshops would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone remember how many questions the written was? I had thought 100, but I wound up with a decimal at the end of my score(so it must not have been 100)

Forum Member

Also, does anyone know how many are moving on to the oral boards? GRNFT?

Thanks!

(second post because I can't edit from my mobile)

Forum Member

I got my score as well, passed. congrats to everyone!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anonporpoise View Post
    Passed also. We're still a very long way off. I'm in the same boat as you tattedfire. Except it's the other direction, Florida. Info from the oral board workshops would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone remember how many questions the written was? I had thought 100, but I wound up with a decimal at the end of my score(so it must not have been 100)
    Written test was 120 questions

Forum Member

I couldn't tell you how many moved on to the oral boards. Usually somewhere around 1,500ish give or take a couple hundred for oral 1. That's about all they can handle, I believe. That's pure speculation, though. As for attending the oral board prep, I honestly wouldn't feel the need (and didn't when I was testing) to fly in. It's great if you can attend but it is not a deal breaker. They will post info about it online so you know what you're in for. It's a civil service type deal where they ask everyone the same questions and then you go. No give and take from the panel members. They are scoring your answers. I would SERIOUSLY do your research on fire department oral boards and know what you are looking at and what you want to do/say/dress like before you go into the boards.

For those coming from out of town, you will know where you stand after the second oral board. Just so you all know your written test goes away now, so if you're a 100 sorry, if you're an 81.4, you have new life. Your score now becomes your oral 1 + oral 2 average plus any vets points . That's it. The registry then is established. If you're in the top 175 you will most likely move on. That number may be a bit higher than that for this test, so I'd say top 250 may move on. (The exact numbers are SPECULATION and based on the past, not this test so don't take them to the bank and quit your job or give up based on this). I put that so those spending lots of money to travel here know if they are competitive, close, or not. We have hired 3 classes off of the current list, and that was about 175 to background. They are finding that they probably should have gone a bit deeper, IMHO so I could see them expanding the background list for this one. You'll want to be in the 90s on both oral boards to be competitive so prepare prepare prepare. Congrats on getting to this point. Good luck from here on out. If I hear any more definitives I will post them. Again, one of the Assistant Chiefs has told training to be ready for an August 14 class. Will it happen? Who knows. They are targeting that, so could move quickly. I know the numbers look like we need that August class. Good luck all.

Forum Member

GRNFT,
    I took the test and passed making it to the first interview in January. I was curious if you or anyone else knows if you get your interview score after the first interview?? Or do they just say you passed to the second interview or thanks for trying....

Forum Member

In the past they've always given you your score after the first board.

Forum Member

Good to know thanks for the quick reply!

Forum Member

Anyone going to attend the "oral board orientation"? If someone has been to one what does it entail?

Forum Member

Hey folks, save yourself alot of time and look at the Seattle 2011 forum from the begining, the oral boards are covered pretty well there as well as the timelines. You can get an idea of what you are in for, lol, it is a long process but for a department of this caliber well worth it. GRNFT is a solid provider of fact filled information 99% of the time pay attention when he/she posts. As for the oral board work shops I can't say if they are necessary or not, I did not attend as I was coming from out of state as well. I ended up in the upper 1/3 of the list, I had vet points, like I said, look at the 2011 post decide for yourself. If you have half a clue about oral boards you should be fine if you cannot attend.
    Good luck.

GRNFT "They are finding that they probably should have gone a bit deeper" could this have anything to do with the delay in conditional offers?

Forum Member

My guess is that they are busy 2 fold right now in that they are trying to hire for Feb 14 on the old list AND get new list written scores and oral board schedules together. My understanding is this class is going to be capped at 17 bodies and right now they only have a small list of fully qualified individuals who have been through CPAT and Background. My SPECULATION is based on the fact that we need bodies, but they are struggling to fill the spots for the Feb 14 class due to not having enough qualified individuals who have EMT, CPAT, passed the background, and can pass the medical. I think they've hit the limit on the 175 or so they moved to background from the 2011 list, and don't intend to open it back up since they are going to have a new list. I've been told all the calls have NOT gone out for Feb class, and that they should be done by early Dec. I can't begin to guess as to why they haven't contacted those they've chosen or IF they've chosen all of those. I wish I had more insight on this for the 2011 list. The bright side is the less hired for Feb class means more coming off of the 2013 list. Not the best news for those still alive on the 2011 who haven't gotten a call, I know.

Forum Member

I read through the 2011 thread, great information!!

@GRNFT does being a CA EMT-P benefit through the process? I know there is no reciprocity in king county, but I love being a Firefighter/Medic and would definitely be something I want to pursue with SFD

Forum Member

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you would have to drop your medic to the emt level. You're testing to be a firefighter/emt.. The paramedic part is seperate.. I'm also a medic so it kind of sucks to drop a cert we worked hard to get.. But hey.. It's Seattle Fire

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderDome7 View Post
    Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you would have to drop your medic to the emt level. You're testing to be a firefighter/emt.. The paramedic part is seperate.. I'm also a medic so it kind of sucks to drop a cert we worked hard to get.. But hey.. It's Seattle Fire
    I have both, CE's are easy to keep up on. I am currently CA EMTB&P

Forum Member

When you get hired by Seattle, you work only as a Firefighter/EMT, EVEN if you have a previous Paramedic cert. Typically, once you have 3.5 years in the department you can apply for the year long medic program. Usually 5 or so FF get picked up for that. Our Guidelines do state that you can apply for the medic program after your probationary year, if you are a previous medic. That's something I can't speak to, but I believe it is possible. Do note that while all SFD medics are firefighters first and CAN ride Engines/Trucks, they are almost exclusively on 2 person ALS medic units. Our Engines, Aid Cars and Trucks only have EMTs on them.

Thread Information