+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 First ... 234567815 ... Last
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Seattle 2013

  1. #101
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Tomorrow's the big day for me. It's an odd feeling knowing that you have 15 minutes to sell yourself for a chance at a life changing career(or career move).

    Good luck to everyone. Remember, it's just three guys/gals like you on the other side of that table. They want you to do good from the beginning. Don't dissapoint them.

  2. #102
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    62

    Default

    What time is your interview? I'm scheduled for 915 but I'm probably going to show up around 8 just to be safe. Traffic from West Seattle is so much fun.

  3. #103
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebo View Post
    What time is your interview? I'm scheduled for 915 but I'm probably going to show up around 8 just to be safe. Traffic from West Seattle is so much fun.
    I'm tomorrow at 10am, best of luck to everyone!

  4. #104
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebo View Post
    What time is your interview? I'm scheduled for 915 but I'm probably going to show up around 8 just to be safe. Traffic from West Seattle is so much fun.

    08:45 for me. It never hurts to show up early. I'm staying at a hotel in shoreline currently. It's pretty convenient. There was a minor crash on i5 through downtown this morning, added 20 minutes to my drive north. I don't know how you guys do it. Hopefully I will have to get use to it.

    Look for me, I will be the guy in the suit

  5. #105
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    62

    Default

    How's everyone feeling that's gone so far? I honestly have no idea (the stone face of the interviewers doesn't help :P), I feel like I didn't relate to my personal life enough and I think I only took 2/3 of the time allotted.

  6. #106
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I think I did ok, but I'm not convinced it was good enough for Seattle. The questions were not what I was expecting, but I was able to relate my professional experience to a lot of the questions. I finished in 12 minutes, and concluded my questions without rambling.

    My panel was strait faced, but not cold.

    The ladies said they have 2300 interviews this round, not excluding the 10% no show rate.

    So 2300 for 50-100 spots. It's better than playing the lotto I suppose!

  7. #107
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Basra Iraq
    Posts
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aviles89 View Post
    How was your interview buddy? I'm also coming out from Cali so cal on the 17th
    What time is your interview? I interview at 0915, maybe I will see you there.

  8. #108
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    62

    Default

    If you use the 100 spots that's a 1:22 ratio of hire:no hire. Also, unless they just told everyone that (and not someone in your group asked), we were probably sitting a few chairs apart. I hear you on the question as well. I came in with around ten solid answers for what I guessed might have been on the list. I guess one was half what I prepared for. Oh well, February can't come soon enough.

  9. #109
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebo View Post
    If you use the 100 spots that's a 1:22 ratio of hire:no hire. Also, unless they just told everyone that (and not someone in your group asked), we were probably sitting a few chairs apart. I hear you on the question as well. I came in with around ten solid answers for what I guessed might have been on the list. I guess one was half what I prepared for. Oh well, February can't come soon enough.
    I was one of the guys who dropped my license on the floor(second guy). 4th to go in. I specifically recall four out of the group. One with a wild mustache, the guy who was on his second try at Seattle, one guy with a fancy hair-do and purple accents, and the guy who asked to use my phone in the parking lot because he left his keys with his girlfriend(who drove off without him and his phone).

  10. #110
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    144

    Default

    What tips do you guys have for the style of interview questions? Basic civil service questions or more scenario based?

  11. #111
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    166

    Default

    I was at 10am, they were taking people early today. The questions were definitely different, but kept you on your toes. I heard the same numbers , 2300 interviewing. We'll best of luck to everyone! And if there is someone named Barry on this forum, thanks for the ride home!

  12. #112
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonporpoise View Post
    I was one of the guys who dropped my license on the floor(second guy). 4th to go in. I specifically recall four out of the group. One with a wild mustache, the guy who was on his second try at Seattle, one guy with a fancy hair-do and purple accents, and the guy who asked to use my phone in the parking lot because he left his keys with his girlfriend(who drove off without him and his phone).
    I was the first dude to drop his license, also first to go in. That partially through me off, though it shouldn't have. I was waiting for 915 and they popped in at 840. Can't really complain though, I doubt 30 minutes would have me compose myself all that much better without knowing what they'd ask.

    I'd still call the questions basic civil service, don't want to say much more than that.
    Last edited by nebo; 01-06-2014 at 04:02 PM.

  13. #113
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    17

    Default

    So what are they telling you guys in regards to when we will all hear back from them on our interview scores? Second, how early should I show up? I interview on the 17th. Thanks!

  14. #114
    Forum Member
    MKFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Geez, you guys are making me get the shakes from hearing that some of you already went. I have a few more days to organize my thoughts but best of luck to everyone.

  15. #115
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    19

    Default

    We were told that we should receive notice by Feb 14th regarding our scores. Based on the seattle 2011 thread, it may only be a pass/fail notification.

    KMC5 - Just plan time for problems along the way. Nebo showed up 30 min prior, and was bumped into a group before his scheduled time. I planned for 30 prior, but wound up getting in 10 min prior. They take about 5 mins to discuss paperwork and register.

    Kahai - Good luck to you. My three interviewers seemed happy to be there, and by their demeanor, I truly believe they want the candidates to do good.

  16. #116
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KMC5 View Post
    So what are they telling you guys in regards to when we will all hear back from them on our interview scores? Second, how early should I show up? I interview on the 17th. Thanks!
    I was told 2/14 (some people might be having a rough valentines day ) at the latest so maybe a bit before then. For showing up, they seemed to take people as they were ready. As I said, I was for 915 but got in at 840 so just show up early enough. You have one paper you have to read and sign + checkin. I would say at least 30 minutes before but that is just me.

    Quote Originally Posted by KahaiFF View Post
    Geez, you guys are making me get the shakes from hearing that some of you already went. I have a few more days to organize my thoughts but best of luck to everyone.
    Don't stress over it, really. Everyone gets the same time, the same questions, the same type of panel. It's about as equal as an oral board can get. I'm almost always think I do poorly so really it probably went "OK". Time will tell, nothing to do but your best.

    EDIT - A quick search from the 2011 thread I found this for when you get scores. Looks like they just take pass/fail and move on (though obviously you still have a number).
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasha6568 View Post
    From SFD website:

    Candidate Information

    2011 Candidate Information
    Updated April12, 2011

    Letters will be sent no later than April 29, 2011, to all candidates who participated in Oral Board #1. The letters will indicate whether a candidate passed Oral Board #1. Candidates who pass Oral Board #1 will be scheduled for Oral Board #2.

    Candidates who do not receive a letter by April 29, 2011, should contact the Personnel Department Fire & Police Exams Unit by May 3, 2011, via Email at: Colleen.Lafferty@seattle.gov or by phone at 206-615-0581.

    Once letters are sent out, this web page will be updated to show candidates what date the letters were sent out.

    Tentative dates for Oral Board #2: May 12-21, 2011. These dates will be adjusted as needed.
    Last edited by nebo; 01-06-2014 at 05:06 PM.

  17. #117
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Kahai - Good luck to you. My three interviewers seemed happy to be there, and by their demeanor, I truly believe they want the candidates to do good.[/QUOTE]


    I feel the same way. Just so much uncertainty and def don't want to get my hopes up! Good luck guys

  18. #118
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Well that was different. I wasn't quite ready for those questions. Oh well! Good luck everyone. May your Valentine's Day be sweet. LOL!

  19. #119
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Axe View Post
    Well that was different. I wasn't quite ready for those questions. Oh well! Good luck everyone. May your Valentine's Day be sweet. LOL!
    That seems to be the consensus. I'm just glad I'm back home so I can now get this off my mind. I'm hoping they will post the scores(actual numerical values) come Feb 13, because I would hate to burn $$$$ flying out again if I'm going to #300 on the list.

    Back to reality (but staying tuned).

  20. #120
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    62

    Default

    I have no idea how flexible they are, but it's worth asking stating your situation. With how it's playing though, I think everyone is getting caught off guard so maybe scores will be lower? We'll have to see. Still, even #300 on this list might not be the worst seeing as the new mayor looks pretty good on a FF perspective and they want quite a few off this list if rumors are true so after knocking off people for backgrounds/med/physical who knows what they'll reach (or even how large the 25% is that they want).

  21. #121
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonporpoise View Post
    That seems to be the consensus. I'm just glad I'm back home so I can now get this off my mind. I'm hoping they will post the scores(actual numerical values) come Feb 13, because I would hate to burn $$$$ flying out again if I'm going to #300 on the list.

    Back to reality (but staying tuned).
    Quote Originally Posted by nebo View Post
    I have no idea how flexible they are, but it's worth asking stating your situation. With how it's playing though, I think everyone is getting caught off guard so maybe scores will be lower? We'll have to see. Still, even #300 on this list might not be the worst seeing as the new mayor looks pretty good on a FF perspective and they want quite a few off this list if rumors are true so after knocking off people for backgrounds/med/physical who knows what they'll reach (or even how large the 25% is that they want).
    I doubt they will gives a numerical value after the first round, I think they might tell us what percent due to the fact they are averaging both oral 1 and oral 2 to make a final eligable list. I heard that 2300 people are interviewing, meaning the top 25% would be about 570 candidates to move one. Like nebo said, depts tend to lose a lot of people through backgrounds, med/physical. So just be mentally and physically ready, you never know when you are going to get the call. Best of luck to the people who and interviewed and still are waiting to interview!! Hope to meet some of you in the future

    GRNFT do you have any info on what to expect??

  22. #122
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    62

    Default

    That's assuming all 2300 make it through round one. I'd assume it'd drop to at least 1500 make it to round two giving a top 25% of 375. It's fun to speculate but doesn't help much. We'll know when we know.

  23. #123
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nebo View Post
    That's assuming all 2300 make it through round one. I'd assume it'd drop to at least 1500 make it to round two giving a top 25% of 375. It's fun to speculate but doesn't help much. We'll know when we know.
    Totally agree, best of luck

  24. #124
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    167

    Default

    The best thing I can tell people is you will know where you stand after the first 2 oral boards. I don't know if you will get a score after the first board or not, but you'll know in May when the registry comes out. I tell people to aim for top 175 on the registry as that's roughly the top 25% of the registar list. Those are the ones that automatically move on to CPAT, background, etc...

    I know it sucks having to make the trip but if you get to the 2nd board why not take your chances and at least know where you stand on the May register.
    thedig423 likes this.

  25. #125
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    19

    Default

    I don't think I would actually turn down a chance at Seattle if I made it to the second oral board. It's still tough spending the cash though, and I'm sure a lot of us are in the same boat. However, I bet there are some people who thought they didn't have a chance based on their ranking, who wound up getting in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 22 First ... 234567815 ... Last

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Yuma AZ 2013
    By ksorenson11 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-07-2014, 03:56 PM
  2. 2013 afg
    By chappellld in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-12-2013, 06:43 PM
  3. 2013 AFG Changes
    By BC79er in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2013, 07:02 PM
  4. Scranton, PA 2013
    By sfd3082 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2013, 12:30 AM
  5. Jacksonville, FL 2013
    By WesParker in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register