Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Seattle 2013

Forum Member

Default Seattle 2013

The current class will be graduating next week. There is still a planned Feb 14 class off of the current list. Planned is the operative word.

For all of you who have been patiently waiting on the next Seattle Fire exam, here is the latest straight out of the mouth of the HR folks at HQ.

∑ The open application period will be from 5/15/13 Ė 10/1/13

∑ The Firefighter exam is scheduled for October 26 and October 27, 2013

∑ Anyone who has signed up on the website to be notified via e-mail when the open application period begins, those e-mails will be sent out on May 20, 2013.

Good luck.

C41
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    The current class will be graduating next week. There is still a planned Feb 14 class off of the current list. Planned is the operative word.

For all of you who have been patiently waiting on the next Seattle Fire exam, here is the latest straight out of the mouth of the HR folks at HQ.

∑ The open application period will be from 5/15/13 – 10/1/13

∑ The Firefighter exam is scheduled for October 26 and October 27, 2013

∑ Anyone who has signed up on the website to be notified via e-mail when the open application period begins, those e-mails will be sent out on May 20, 2013.

Good luck.
    Hey GRNFT, just curious but what are roughly the numbers that show up for the written? Above 6000 people usually?

Forum Member

Usually 4000 sign up and we have about 3000 or so test. Has been increasing in the past. The fact they are looking at 2 days of testing indicates expecting more than in the the past.

C41
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GRNFT View Post
    Usually 4000 sign up and we have about 3000 or so test. Has been increasing in the past. The fact they are looking at 2 days of testing indicates expecting more than in the the past.
    Thanks GRNFT! I've been following the old thread and trying to stay in the loop. I figured it would be similar numbers to the Phoenix test I took. Looking forward to this process-thanks again for the info!

Forum Member

The last testing process had two days scheduled for the written as well.

Forum Member

Do you have to be certified or just have a high school diploma to apply?

Forum Member

That's right it did. That was around 4000 who signed up I believe in 2011. Only a diploma is required. You can get more info on the specifics on the SFD website.

Forum Member

Any one testing who's a nationally registered paramedic? I see that wa only accepts emt levels for transfers. Does that mean we have to do an emt course again?

Forum Member

I see for this test you have to be an EMT by the time of hire.

Seattle Fire is a Medic One (King County) Program. I believe you can apply for the Medic list after 3.5 years of employment as a FF with Seattle. Then, even if National Registered, they would send you through the Medic One Program at Harborview.

In Washington State you have to be sponsored (Fire Department, AMB, Ski Patrol, or Hospital) to be a State EMT. NREMT (EMT-B) is all that is needed by date of hire, not for application. You would have to contact the Department or City HR for reciprocity.

Good luck & thanks GRNFT for the correct info.
    Last edited by nwavant; 05-23-2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: additional info

Forum Member

It's 3.5 years from hire date to apply for medic program. If you were a medic somewhere else, there is a waiver program available to attempt to get accepted to the medic program before that 3.5 year process (after probation).
    nwavant likes this.

Forum Member

Probably one of the finest EMS systems in the world. A paramedic in King County, doesn't get any better than that if you enjoy EMS. Also doing alot on the firefighting side, Aaron Fields/Nozzle Forward is a great engine company class and Andy Fredericks would be proud of Aaron Fields. Would love to see Aaron do something with Ray McCormack.

Would love to test, but not right now financially(out of state), looks like alot of trips to Seattle thru the process.

They are doing things right in that city!

MembersZone Subscriber

How does the "sponsoring" thing work to get your EMT in King County. I know you have to have it by date of hire. Do you apply for it right after you test in "anticipation" of possibly being hired OR is it that you're first offered the job contingent upon applying and receiving your EMT ?? They give you like a time frame to get it done and sponsor you?? I looked it up on the King County website but I'm still confused. I've been a medic for 10 years so it's also good to know about the waiver program.

Forum Member

You have to have Washington EMT by date of hire (first day of recruit school). If you have an EMT license anywhere else, you need to contact King County Health and get the details for reciprocity. I had to take a written test based on King County protocols (not that different from NREMT, but there is a difference.) After talking with City HR folks yesterday, Seattle will be offering a limited class for EMT training for those who place high on the register. Don't count on this to be your ticket in. It's a nice bonus if it happens, but those who bank on it may be disappointed if you put your eggs in that basket as it's only a select few who get invited, and is not an offer of employment. My advice if you don't have your EMT-B get it. If you do have EMT elsewhere keep it current and as you go through the process you can apply for reciprocity.

Look for the email and written test study session announcements very soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks GRNFT...helpful as always!

Forum Member

Also, for those curious: 4400 signed up last time and around 3000 actually took the written test. And good news. The annoying $25 fee will be gone this time around. Free to test.
    C41 likes this.

Forum Member

Written exam prep sessions have begun. Check the seattle.gov/fire page for times and locations. These are free and a great chance to ask questions and see the format, which is different than most tests.

Forum Member

It's interesting how they do their exam. I like how they outline the timeframe and hiring process. So there is no guessing. Everything is on the site.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    It's interesting how they do their exam. I like how they outline the timeframe and hiring process. So there is no guessing. Everything is on the site.
    The exam is actually kind of cool. I think it completely levels the playing field because you can have a ton of general knowledge, but if you can't read and retain information in a short period of time you're sunk. It's long, but cool that the only things you need to know for it are given to you in the study session.

Forum Member

Do you get the reading passages back during the test portion?

Thread Information