Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post A project on the side...

Eh folks.

I'm a little hesitant to post this at all but to be quite honest I've put a lot of work in on this and would appreciate some feedback into its validity.

I don't want to elabourate too much on my background in writing but suffice to say I enjoy it- especially when blended with my passion for emergency services. I am at a point in my career where I have to focus my development on the strategic aspect of the job and I'm always looking for ways to make it more interesting- not only just for my own progress but also for that of others.

I've always been intrigued by the similarities between emergency response and battlefield preparations. So many calculations and considerations are common in so many ways that I wanted to take a recent translation of the Art of War and tie it in point by point with emergency operations strategy and tactics (as I understand them). After over 2000 years, I feel that these similarities validate many of the principals being promoted throughout the fire service today and likely into the future.

I'm going to attach a small section of the work as it exists to give a bit of perspective on the direction I'm going with it. I realize it isn't for everyone- but some feedback from those who see potential in the work would be appreciated.

Depending on the level of interest I can continue to post small sections... but I don't want to get ahead of myself!

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

I'd read it but I don't speak no Canadian.

I flipped through it, and I think you've done a good job drawing the parallels you were talking about. Finding an audience will be key (ain't it always?), but if you can latch onto a few people who are already well-versed in the Art of War, it could get a lot of attention.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Thanks East... That's good feedback.

I'm always trying to think of a way that I can broaden the scope of the exercise-

All I knew when I started working on it was I wanted to dig deep into the similarities of our leadership culture in an effort to reinforce the foundation upon which many of our principals were developed.

I see that 22 people have viewed the document- So now 23 people have read it! I'm excited and nervous at the same time. It is VERY preliminary work that I've been chipping away at over the last year or so-

Every couple months I stumble into a situation I can associate with a particular entry in the Art of War and get all excited and start working on it again. Then I figure it's a hopeless pursuit that everyone will think is useless and it heads back into a folder somewhere on my laptop. I'm on the uptick right now and hoping to push it to completion... 50 pages so far (double spaced), with 6 of 13 chapters complete. Some roll onto a keyboard easier than others- believe me...

For those of you who flipped through it and dumped it directly into the recycle bin... If you have a moment to tell me what about it didn't appeal or perhaps something that I could adjust to communicate the message more clearly- if it's put on the table I'll look a it.

I always hold true to the saying "If you trim yourself to suit others, you will soon whittle yourself away to nothing," however there are so many great opportunities to develop the work in ways I haven't considered or thought of I NEED to put it out there.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod

Thread Information