Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shawshank

Thread: Norfolk, Virginia 2013

Shawshank

Cool Norfolk, Virginia 2013

Norfolk Fire Rescue will soon again open the hiring process. Be sure to visit norfolk.gov if you are interested. The academy currently has 2 classes going off of last years list. I would imagine 2 more classes off of this new list in 2014! Good luck!
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

nice! i filled out an interest card a few months ago. anyone know how many they are looking to take?

Forum Member

There last process moved very fast and smoothly. I'll be applying again
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Shawshank

Norfolk has had a steady rate of firefighters retiring. This is the main reason for openings in our department. We are not expanding staff or stations ect. like many northern Virginia depts. I couldn't tell you an exact number on how many will be hired but usually we put on 2 recruit classes of 25-30. Currently, there are 2 classes in the academy totaling 50+ recruits.

Shawshank

I will also mention that the hiring process has changed over the past few years. The B-pad test or what I call the video tape test is no longer used. I also believe they changed the driving record point requirement. If I am not mistaken it is more lenient to what it was previously.
    Candidates who hold Virginia or NR Intermediate/Paramedic card may have an advantage seeing how the department is hurting for ALS.

Forum Member

When will the app process open?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    I will also mention that the hiring process has changed over the past few years. The B-pad test or what I call the video tape test is no longer used. I also believe they changed the driving record point requirement. If I am not mistaken it is more lenient to what it was previously.
    Candidates who hold Virginia or NR Intermediate/Paramedic card may have an advantage seeing how the department is hurting for ALS.
    whats the B-pad or video test you talk about? are you talking about written or practical ?? and is it different from last years process?? thanks for info shawshank!

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by XjonboyX View Post
    When will the app process open?
    I don't know the exact date it will open but if you fill out the interest card you will be notified by email when its open. I will mention that you can build your online application on the site and save it so when it does open you would just apply it to that opening.

Shawshank

Quote Originally Posted by tonsoffun1101 View Post
    whats the B-pad or video test you talk about? are you talking about written or practical ?? and is it different from last years process?? thanks for info shawshank!
    The B-pad was neither a written or physical evaluation. They basically sat you in a room in front of a tv and vcr and played a tape of skits made up of actors from the city doing mock emergency situations and firehouse situations. During the viewing of these skits the scene would stop and say respond across the tv screen. The candidate then has to act and pretend that they are there at the scene. You could not say: I would do this, than this, than this ect. You had to act as if you are the firefighter there.
    I believe there were 6-8 skits to view and respond to. While you are doing these skits, you are being recorded by a camcorder on a tripod in the room. The recording of your responses is later evaluated and scored. The score of this B-pad was the largest factor in determining where you fell on the eligibility list.
    Like I said earlier, its not longer being used so now your written and agility test solely determine where you list.

Shawshank

Update: I have recently heard that a third class will be hired off the current list to start in Jan 2014. The next test date will be spring 2014. Fill out those interest cards on the website so you don't miss the exam.
    tonsoffun1101 likes this.

Forum Member

Shawshank any idea what number they are up to on the list? I could always call HR im sure they could give me some idea

Thread Information