Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FWDbuff

Thread: Apparatus decal regulations?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Apparatus decal regulations?

I am currently deployed to base in the middle east, as a firefighter. We respond in both crash and structural vehicles. I was recently tasked with finding out if there are any regulations regarding the size of numbers for our trucks. I did some digging and haven't been able to come up with anything. (NFPA 1901 contained nothing on this subject)

Does anybody know of any regulations regarding the size of numbers for our trucks?

The NFPA cannot "mandate" or "regulate" anything, however you will find that NFPA 1901 spells out minimum standards calling out for a certain amount of reflective surfaces on automotive fire apparatus, but they will not necessarily call out for specific sizing of elements (striping, numbers, etc.)

Throw in the fact that there may be additional or different standards for ARFF vehicles.

Additionally, I assume you are USAF- you might also check USAF regulations/requirements.
    CaptOldTimer likes this.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

FAA also dictates what ground vehicles with access to runways and taxi areas must have in terms of lights and or decals. Not sure who would trump in the instance of USAF vs FAA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    The NFPA cannot "mandate" or "regulate" anything, however you will find that NFPA 1901 spells out minimum standards calling out for a certain amount of reflective surfaces on automotive fire apparatus, but they will not necessarily call out for specific sizing of elements (striping, numbers, etc.)

Throw in the fact that there may be additional or different standards for ARFF vehicles.

Additionally, I assume you are USAF- you might also check USAF regulations/requirements.

No regs exist per USAF policies. Our chief just wants to know if there is anything to give guidance on a standard size. As I stated, I already reviewed NFPA 1901 and came up with nothing specific. But thanks for the input anyway.

Forum Member

The apparatus numbers should be visible from 500 feet minimum . What body color are the apparatus. Also what are the needs to id a vehicle,ie scene versus inventory and or station id?

Quote Originally Posted by PJKlebaur View Post
    . As I stated, I already reviewed NFPA 1901 and came up with nothing specific. But thanks for the input anyway.
    I am positive that there are guidelines in the most recent edition of 1901 that spell out minimum amounts of reflective materials/striping- including the "safety striping" on the rears of all apparatus.

They dont call out for sizes of alpha-numerics but they do spell out minimum amounts- such as "xxxxx amount of square inches"

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I am positive that there are guidelines in the most recent edition of 1901 that spell out minimum amounts of reflective materials/striping- including the "safety striping" on the rears of all apparatus.

They dont call out for sizes of alpha-numerics but they do spell out minimum amounts- such as "xxxxx amount of square inches"
    That's correct. NFPA 1901 only calls for specifics on the amount and square inches of reflective striping, but does not stipulate the size, style, font, reflectivity, location, or anything else as to the vehicle identification or numbering.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

He's in the middle east sandbox. No US rules apply.

Forum Member

For what its worth, here is the FAA Advisory Circular that covers markings on airport vehicles, which you could use for the crash rescue and any other vehicle you may want. According to it, vehicle numbers should be a minimum of 16 inchs on the side, and 24 inches on the roof.

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/m...50_5210_5d.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    He's in the middle east sandbox. No US rules apply.
    If he's operating USAF Equipment at a USAF facility then NFPA and/or USAF Rules/Regs/Specifications may very well apply. I never worked for the USAF however I did work a US Navy and US Army airfield inside the CONUS as a DOD Civilian and NFPA was very much a part of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFire123 View Post
    The apparatus numbers should be visible from 500 feet minimum . What body color are the apparatus. Also what are the needs to id a vehicle,ie scene versus inventory and or station id?
    That might be your opinion, but there is no such regulation or recommendation.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

deleted......
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 06-11-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFire123 View Post

I call BS on this one.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I call BS on this one.
    Why BS,he ask for suggestions!

Thread Information