Forum Member

Default SCOTT Pak Tracker System

Anyone have experience with this new system by SCOTT?

If you do, how many of the "receiver kits" do you have? Fill me in on the pro's and con's too,

Forum Member

My department has one. We have 3 engines and 1 Quint and have 1 receiver unit on our first out engine. I haven't ever used it on a working fire, but have trained with it a few times. Seems like a pretty good piece of equipment. Only down side, IMO, is that it probably not set up that great for large commercial or industrial structures, though, where it could be most useful. I say that because the signal doesn't travel through block/concrete walls too well in my experience. Another note is before you put it into service, make sure you have a good identifier system that everyone knows so you know if/when you are looking for the right pack/person in an emergency.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of our new packs have the Transmitters built in and all our first-out apparatus have the handheld receivers. Never used the system in a fire but we've done some training on it. It seemed to travel through block walls ok.. not great. It is hard to train with since the packs only broadcast when the PASS is activated and in our environment we tended to hear the PASS and not rely on the tracker. (I know in RL that's a "good thing", but in training we wanted to force guys to use the tracker). Also, there are concerns with mutual aid.. unless they have the new packs (and consistent labeling) the system won't be useful for them.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    All of our new packs have the Transmitters built in and all our first-out apparatus have the handheld receivers. Never used the system in a fire but we've done some training on it. It seemed to travel through block walls ok.. not great. It is hard to train with since the packs only broadcast when the PASS is activated and in our environment we tended to hear the PASS and not rely on the tracker. (I know in RL that's a "good thing", but in training we wanted to force guys to use the tracker). Also, there are concerns with mutual aid.. unless they have the new packs (and consistent labeling) the system won't be useful for them.
    Thanks for the feedback guys, very useful. Keep it coming....

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the transmitters on all of our packs and a receiver on the first out engine. Have also only used it in training. Had similar problems in some commercial buildings of the not being able to always pick up the signal. Also in an house we used for training noticed it was not able to give clear feed back to what floor the firefighter was on. Was good for the direction but not up and down. Had a very strong signal like you should have been right on top of the firefighter however we where on the floor below.

Thread Information