• 2 Post By Manhattan Medic

Thread: Chicago fd vs. fdny

Forum Member

Default Chicago fd vs. fdny

If you could be on either department what one would it be and why

Forum Member

Which ever one I could get hired on

If a person just tests for their dream dept, they may never get hired

Seems to be a lot of rich history and tradition with both departments, but I have to agree with fire49, whichever one would hire me.

If they both offered me jobs, I would probably take Chicago. There's just always been something about CFD that I've liked.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Shawshank

I also agree with fire49. Many times it can help to get on with a smaller dept. while you sit on those lists for several years. My best advice would be to test! Wherever, whenever you can!
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

I've noticed tradition is slipping, quite a bit in Chicago. If I could do it all over again, I'd go by way of the FDNY. The pride, honor, and tradition of the FDNY is second to none.

Forum Member

fireparamedic...are you on Chicago FD? I was just wondering since you said "if I could do it all over again" and if so, how do you see the tradition slipping with CFD???

Forum Member

How about you add every major city that most Americans are familiar with, like LAFD, SFFD, DCFD, Boston, Baltimore, Detroit, Dallas, and for the hell of it, let's throw in San Diego too! If you are looking for a big department, test, strive, believe and one day it will come. "Don't give up, don't ever give up!"-Jimmy V.

At first I thought I would pick Chicago (I'm not really a fan of New Yorkers since I'm from Florida) but New York has a nice history to it.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Forum Member

A milestone in Chicago Fire Department history was the construction of the Fire Academy, a $2.5 million Fire Department complex with the most modern training school in the country. Built on the site of the famous O'Leary home where the great Chicago Fire of 1871 started, the Fire Academy was dedicated in May, 1961.

I think for me it would be CFD. don't get me wrong, if I got an offer from NYFD and not Chicago I would take it but CFD is closer to home, closer to family, still harbors the historical tradition and pride and come on... they have a tv show...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 19firefighter84 View Post
    I think for me it would be CFD. don't get me wrong, if I got an offer from NYFD and not Chicago I would take it but CFD is closer to home, closer to family, still harbors the historical tradition and pride and come on... they have a tv show...
    It's FDNY, get it right.
    fireparamedic and FDNYGUY28 like this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by goldie2002 View Post
    fireparamedic...are you on Chicago FD? I was just wondering since you said "if I could do it all over again" and if so, how do you see the tradition slipping with CFD???
    Ok Goldie, you got me. Yes I am a member. The turmoil here is amazing. We're in contract negotiations and we are getting ready to buy a new union hall, yet we are going to scream that we want more money in our pockets. We are in the process of buying a new building and today the Mayor announces that the city will no longer provide health benefits to future retirees. Nope, instead, we all go into this abortion that's known as Obamacare. CFD is cut throat, it's everyone for themselves. No feel of family.

I've had previous family members on FDNY, including a cousin killed on 9/11 and I get treatment when I visit my second home. When I walk into a house in NYC, you can feel the tradition in the air, you can smell it. Look at the old walls and you can hear the stories that have been told through out the years, but I also feel like that is an East Coast thing as well. The Fire Service is still rich in tradition on the East Coast, particularly the North East. Sure, does FDNY have issues, absolutely, but show me a department that isn't having some issues. But, my one regret was not following in my families footsteps and attending the best academy in the country. Chicago is about 10 years behind the rest of the country, so the Quinn Academy, it was dedicated in 1961 and that's when the progress ended.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireparamedic View Post
    But, my one regret was not following in my families footsteps and attending the best academy in the country.
    Which academy is that? FDNY's?

Forum Member

That's right, FDNY. Where a candidate is treated like a candidate and you earn everything you get.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 19firefighter84 View Post
    I don't think you'd ever be getting an offer from NYFD being that they don't exist.

Forum Member

That's right, FDNY. Where a candidate is treated like a candidate and you earn everything you get.
    Glad you think that. Just finished it. Can't compare it to anything else, but safe to say it's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan Medic View Post
    Glad you think that. Just finished it. Can't compare it to anything else, but safe to say it's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life.
    Congrats Brother! Wear it proud!! You are a part of an incredible tradition there! Be safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok Goldie, you got me. Yes I am a member. The turmoil here is amazing. We're in contract negotiations and we are getting ready to buy a new union hall, yet we are going to scream that we want more money in our pockets. We are in the process of buying a new building and today the Mayor announces that the city will no longer provide health benefits to future retirees. Nope, instead, we all go into this abortion that's known as Obamacare. CFD is cut throat, it's everyone for themselves. No feel of family.

I've had previous family members on FDNY, including a cousin killed on 9/11 and I get treatment when I visit my second home. When I walk into a house in NYC, you can feel the tradition in the air, you can smell it. Look at the old walls and you can hear the stories that have been told through out the years, but I also feel like that is an East Coast thing as well. The Fire Service is still rich in tradition on the East Coast, particularly the North East. Sure, does FDNY have issues, absolutely, but show me a department that isn't having some issues. But, my one regret was not following in my families footsteps and attending the best academy in the country. Chicago is about 10 years behind the rest of the country, so the Quinn Academy, it was dedicated in 1961 and that's when the progress ended.
    You think you are behind... Detroit is still in the 1960's
    Jerry Stewart
    Firefighter Engine Company No. 44
    Licensed Paramedic State of Michigan
    Detroit1552fire@yahoo.com
    (313) 732 7377
    Detroit Fire Department Local 344

Forum Member

In what ways is Chicago behind the times?
    How does fdny fret their rookies? Pretty tough? Lots of hazing and agitation?

Forum Member

I want Chicago. Can't wait

Thread Information