Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Changing Role of the Urban Fire Chief?

Forum Member

Past practice for Boston was the Fire Chief was appointed from the ranks. The idea being He is the advocate for the OPERATIONAL aspect. He also had to live in the City. The Commish is/was a political appointee. This is the same tactic Jayne Byrne used in Chicago when she brought in William Blair from California. It's just another crack in the wall. It has nothing to do with the job. It's Just Mumbles trying to beat down the BFD.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Would you want the highest ranking person in your department to be the IC if they had held no other rank in fire suppression?
    While I understand your sentiment, at an incident of this magnitude, the IC would not likely make single tactical assignment, he/she becomes the figure head who advocates for his department in the strategic decision making process. Escpecially true when by the time he arrives 99% of the actual rescue effort will have concluded. I guess there must be too many FD's out there hiring managers and not leaders. We should expect more from the top or expose them for what they are: political pawns to do the City Councils bidding.

Forum Member

SPFDRum, Ihave to disagree. In a large department like Boston's I'm sure it's routine to "pass off" command to higher ranking chiefs as they arrive. It is not necessary for the IC to have been there from the beginning. It does not screw up the operation. I also disagree that it would be the role of the COD as the highest ranking uniformed member to be "running interference" during a major incident.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Would you want the highest ranking person in your department to be the IC if they had held no other rank in fire suppression?
    I'm curious - how many fire chiefs in the US, who head urban departments, haven't held previous rank in a fire department?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I'm curious - how many fire chiefs in the US, who head urban departments, haven't held previous rank in a fire department?
    To be clear, I said rank in fire suppression. I am not intimately familiarly with many fire departments, but I can name one.......

Never a Driver, Company Officer, Battalion Chief, Division Chief, or Deputy Chief.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Let's talk fire trucks!

To be clear, I said rank in fire suppression. I am not intimately familiarly with many fire departments, but I can name one.......

Never a Driver, Company Officer, Battalion Chief, Division Chief, or Deputy Chief.
    I believe I understand what you mean. Are you familiar with a fire chief, in a suburban or or urban fire department, who either held strictly EMS positions prior to appointment, or was appointed from the private sector?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    I believe I understand what you mean. Are you familiar with a fire chief, in a suburban or or urban fire department, who either held strictly EMS positions prior to appointment, or was appointed from the private sector?
    At present, not really. I say that because currently the Shelby County, TN (Memphis) Fire Department has a Fire Chief that came up through the ranks. The fire department however, falls under General Services which has a Director, Manager, Supervisor, or whatever thy call him that is charge of the entire GS bureaus who has no clue about the fire department. Ido not know how much actual oversight or direction he has over the fire department, but there is some there.

A longtime ago, Memphis Mayor Wyeth Chandler appointed a career City garbage man as the Director over the fire department. He was a "yes" man who got rid of some things the Mayor wanted eliminated from the fire department - primarily the Captain rank.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information