Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By safdkiltie

Thread: Dallas LODD

Forum Member

I watched this story this morning before I was relieved, before it was confirmed that Dallas had lost a fireman. I felt that sinking feeling that is less about the loss of a firefighter and more the encroaching realization that a family is going to be without a father or a husband, or perhaps a rookie has been killed on the first "big one", doing what he always dreamed of, and the way it's easy to picture yourself or your best friends in the same place.

I heard the worst about a half an hour after I got off and came to FIREHOUSE to see if I could find more details.

I was not the least bit surprised to find, in the FORUM section, a mention of the story, and I was not the least bit surprised to find it had been bumped down without comment by more baiting and juvenilia. What a sad and disturbing lot the members are here.

You will continue to scream at the top of your "virtual lungs" what a piece of trash someone is who doesn't do it your way. You'll continue to whine and pout and berate one another. You'll continue to stomp young members and first time posters with your vast encyclopedia of knowledge and your years of slaying the red beast. You'll wear your company shirts and be sure to let everyone know you're a breed apart and take the perverse satisfaction that someone doing the job was killed, so you can point and say, "We're heroes, and we die like heroes..."

BUT YOU WON'T TAKE THIRTY SECONDS TO TIP YOUR HELMET TO DFD. TO THE MAN WHO WAS KILLED. TO THE FATHER WHO WAS KILLED. TO THE HUSBAND THAT WAS KILLED. TO THE FAMILY WHO HAS LOST.

Please, by all means, go back to the threads where you can, in comfortable anonymity, bash and belittle.

Well done, you band of brothers.

TO THE DFD and THE FAMILY -

Words typed here cannot convey my sympathy. I grieve for your loss, and will keep you all in my prayers.
    Last edited by safdkiltie; 05-20-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by safdkiltie View Post
    I watched this story this morning before I was relieved, before it was confirmed that Dallas had lost a fireman. I felt that sinking feeling that is less about the loss of a firefighter and more the encroaching realization that a family is going to be without a father or a husband, or perhaps a rookie has been killed on the first "big one", doing what he always dreamed of, and the way it's easy to picture yourself or your best friends in the same place.

I heard the worst about a half an hour after I got off and came to FIREHOUSE to see if I could find more details.

I was not the least bit surprised to find, in the FORUM section, a mention of the story, and I was not the least bit surprised to find it had been bumped down without comment by more baiting and juvenilia. What a sad and disturbing lot the members are here.

You will continue to scream at the top of your "virtual lungs" what a piece of trash someone is who doesn't do it your way. You'll continue to whine and pout and berate one another. You'll continue to stomp young members and first time posters with your vast encyclopedia of knowledge and your years of slaying the red beast. You'll wear your company shirts and be sure to let everyone know you're a breed apart and take the perverse satisfaction that someone doing the job was killed, so you can point and say, "We're heroes, and we die like heroes..."

BUT YOU WON'T TAKE THIRTY SECONDS TO TIP YOUR HELMET TO DFD. TO THE MAN WHO WAS KILLED. TO THE FATHER WHO WAS KILLED. TO THE HUSBAND THAT WAS KILLED. TO THE FAMILY WHO HAS LOST.

Please, by all means, go back to the threads where you can, in comfortable anonymity, bash and belittle.

Words typed here cannot convey my sympathy. I grieve for your loss, and will keep you all in my prayers.
    My apologies, I normally read threads I have commented in as they are marked with green. By the time I saw this, it was already at the top again.

My deepest sympathies to the DFD for the loss of their brother. To the families affected, please accept my condolences. I am all too familiar with both sides and will most likely be in attendance at both Emmetsburg and Colorado Springs to show support to the families and brothers, like I have been doing since I lost mine in 2001.
    IAFF

Forum Member

I spent a lot of time looking at the reports on this incident yesterday, and yes, I thought about the firefighter's family.

I'm just not one to post thoughts and prayers about a deceased brother on the forums.

That doesn't mean that I'm not concerned.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by safdkiltie View Post

First of all, you are WAY off base. Generally we post sympathies and condolences to the Family, Friends, and Fire Department. I am usually one of the first to do so.

Secondly, sorry, I didn't get at it quickly enough for you, but frankly your tirade is ill placed and disrespectful to the deceased Brother. You want to berate us for what you feel is a slight then start a new topic and do it. Not in the same topic discussing his LODD.

Thirdly, if you don't like the other topics here don't read them or participate in them. This still is America where the illusion of Freedom of Speech still exists.

Fourthly, Your idiotic comments about company shirts, nonsense about "perverse satisfaction that someone doing the job was killed" and "dying like heroes" make you look like a complete jag off. Who the hell are you to post absolute Bull Schitt like that? Who has expressed any such sentiments on these forums? Find one person other than that jerk that got banned whose dream was "to be taken by the beast."
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Rest in Peace Stanley A. Wilson, Dallas Fire Department, who died in the line of duty. We will take the duty from here Brother.

My deepest and sincerest condolences to his wife and sons, his firefighting family, and friends.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Let's talk fire trucks!

To the OP:

1. Because I don't post a note on this forum, you assume that the fallen firefighter's family didn't enter my mind? Simply not true. I don't typically post sympathy notes here, or any of the fire-service related forums I'm on.

2. Have you made a post about every LODD that's occurred this year? If not, why not?

I'm not trying to be an ***, just trying to bring an overall view of why you may or may not see people make posts about fallen brothers and sisters.

Nevertheless, I keep FF Stanley Wilson and the other 32 firefighters who have died in the performance of their duties this year in my thoughts and prayers.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

BoxAlarm -
    Thanks for your rational post. My comments were not written with the the intent that everyone should make a show on this thread. Rather, I thought it sad that two long-running threads had bumped it down without remark, and that the running threads have far outlived any usefulness. With that in mind, I did indeed stop reading them a month ago. As FyredUp so eloquently stated: It is a free country.

So the idea was that I saw what looked to be some priorities out of whack. Not that anyone should feel compelled to post, but why continue to post in a thread ( or two ) full of pointless vitriol, thus bumping down something truly compelling and important. The time spent hammering on LA may have been better used to extend sympathies and condolences. Priorities...

I do agree with Fyred on one point: I shoulda started another thread to get on my soapbox. The sentiment stands, but I'll admit it was probably bad form to do it in this thread.

BoxAlarm: Please don't make that all-too-common internet forum mistake and take my remarks personally. And same to the class posts by Snowball and LA. It was a general comment on, as I said, priorities. I think when you close the laptop and get away from the thing for a minute, you'll see what I'm saying, agree or not. Thanks.
    BoxAlarm187 likes this.

Forum Member

RIP Brother.

I've said it before and its worth repeating. The respect the fire service enjoys today has been bought and paid for with the blood of our fallen Brothers.

Forum Member

Reading of a LODD brings on a sinking feeling unlike many I've ever known. Thoughts and prayers to the fallen firefighter, his family, friends, and the Dallas Fire Department.

Thread Information