Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By EastKyFF
  • 1 Post By tree68

Thread: Best LED lights

Forum Member

Default Best LED lights

i am going to be purchasing led lights sometime soon. going to mostly be interior and the mini deck lights and in the grille. what are the best lights for the money? i want the brightest possible. and i will probably be putting some on my toolbox on too. thanks for the help.

First post and it's about blue lights.

I weep for the future of the fire service.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    First post and it's about blue lights.

I weep for the future of the fire service.
    Don't get so upset. Maybe in his state it's red lights!
    FFEMT3634 likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Here's my advice. Whether you take it or not is up to you. I'm a 45 year old newbie to the fire service. Our state and our department allows us to run lights. Most of us do not. I keep an LED strobe with 3 flash patterns and a mag mount in my truck, in the event I show up to a scene in my POV, or in the event that I witness an accident and stop to provide assistance, but it will ONLY be used in a stationary position where the vehicle is parked. I don't run it on the way to the station. There's no need. It's not going to get me there any faster, unless I choose to disobey traffic laws, which WILL get me a ticket, or may possibly CAUSE another accident. What good am I to the people i'm trying to help if I wreck on my way to respond to a call, all because I got a little excited because of that little blue light? That blue light on your vehicle is nothing more than something to draw attention to yourself and say "Look at me, i'm a FF". It gives you absolutely no right to cut in and out of traffic, speed, or do anything else recklessly to get to a scene. It's not going to require anyone to pull over or change lanes for you so that you may pass them. If you want a light that badly, then get one, but just remember that it doesn't offer you any special privilege. Lose sight of that, and you may be sitting on the side of the road while the cop writes your ticket, instead of making it to the call. Just my two cents, but i'm sure many others here would agree.

Signal Mini Phantom Max Plus is what i run. I love it, its bight,it gets people out of my way. the cheapest i found after shipping.Was Galls. But i must say think about your response distance and call volume. If you don't have the calls to back up your going to look stupid I don't mean to sound rude but just trying to give you some advice.

I left my full-width bar on my truck after I stepped down as chief - just changed the LED's from red to blue.

I live three short blocks from the firehouse - the lightbar rarely gets turned on for responses unless I'm out of town, and then usually only once I clear any areas with traffic lights. As mentioned, it's there more for traffic protection if I happen to respond to the scene, or if we have a situation where we need to close the road for a while.

With LEDs and their clear housings, though, it's gotten so you can't tell if the light on the roof of a pickup is for fire, or for plowing snow, etc (ie, contractors).
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I recommend a full light bar complete with a Federal Siren and wig-wags.....

On second thought you had better add that 500-gallon tank into your trunk with a trash-line attached... never can be too well armed...
    ===
    Why is it all the whackers always bring up lights for their first topic? How about 'How can I get to the call safely' or 'What is a straight-bore good for that a fogger isn't good at?' Hell even 'Why is the fire-service so keen on sexual euphemisms?' lol But nope. It's always the lights.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Highschoolvolunteer View Post
    I recommend a full light bar complete with a Federal Siren and wig-wags.....

On second thought you had better add that 500-gallon tank into your trunk with a trash-line attached... never can be too well armed...
    ===
    Why is it all the whackers always bring up lights for their first topic? How about 'How can I get to the call safely' or 'What is a straight-bore good for that a fogger isn't good at?' Hell even 'Why is the fire-service so keen on sexual euphemisms?' lol But nope. It's always the lights.
    Well said...

In coming, duck for cover, as this is another wacker wanting to load his pov with lights.

Hey sonny, before you started this thread you should have done a search on the topic.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Ya gotta remember that they've probably already got a closet full of "we fight what you fear" t-shirts, so the car is next.
    FFEMT3634 likes this.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here are about the best at a low price. http://www.extremetacticaldynamics.com/

Please be safe in your use of them. I do understand that differant areas of the county have differant needs. I wish others would realize that and not be so quick to judge on POV emergency light usage.

Forum Member

Honestly, The need for lights depends on your Dept, your distance from the dept etc... I live in Kansas and in Kansas you are allowed to run Lights and a siren only after the County commissioners, Your chief and the sheriff sign off on it. Once that happens your vehicle is officially considered an emergency vehicle and allows you to go over the posted speed limit and go through red lights etc... AS LONG AS YOU DO IT IN A SAFE MANNER that does not jeopardize yours or the public's lives. Personally I have been on my dept 4.5 months now and had 2 calls both brush fires, I live a mile from the station and can make it there safely and catch the truck before it leaves. If I am at work I usually cant respond as I work an hour away. But most of our Vollys are all in town or work to far away for lights to make a difference, Mutual Aid would be on scene before they would. -- But as stated lights are strictly dependent on a Need, if you can SAFELY get to the station in a reasonable time you shouldn't need any lights. besides to many people join the fire service just so they can have a mobile Christmas tree, And that is NOT what this job is about

I live almost 4 miles from my Department and I seem to make it just fine for the first truck without having any LED's. I also have to wait a 6 month period before I can even think about mounting lights or running lights. I don't really need to use lights but when I get the opportunity to run lights I most likely will put a few lights on my vehicle. Not because I want to be like hey...look....i'm a firefighter,but because I dreamed of doing this one day and I don't plan on having anyone tell me otherwise. for those firefighters who choose to do the same no one else's thoughts matter but yours. but then again what do I know I've been serving my community less than a month.

Thread Information