Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Here and there

Thread: Impropriety

Forum Member

Default Impropriety

Re: Dallas thread

Thank you, FyredUp, for illustrating my point in a way I thought I could only dream might be possible. Your comments brought a smile to my face, and I look forward to sharing them.

Stay safe -

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by safdkiltie View Post
    Re: Dallas thread

Thank you, FyredUp, for illustrating my point in a way I thought I could only dream might be possible. Your comments brought a smile to my face, and I look forward to sharing them.

Stay safe -
    Do whatever you need to. By the way, where was YOUR post of sympathy and respect when I posted about my Lieutenant that died in a motor vehicle accident. OH THAT'S RIGHT! YOU DIDN'T POST ONE.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 05-21-2013 at 06:31 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

This is a texas LODD and assuming from the Alamo as your avitar and SAFD (San Antonio I presume?) you are in Texas so this hits closer to home. In the past week or so there have been at least 3 other LODDs in Michigan, Phoenix and New Mexico (USFS) and I haven't seen any posts on them. The Phoenix LODD is still on the side bar right under the Dallas LODD story.

My point is we all have our little worlds we are most interested in, I think it is unlikely one could stay on top of every LODD and don't think it would be particularly healthy.

Personally I will look at LODD reports as learning tools, but otherwise I avoid them. I also do not go out of my way to attend firefighter funerals unless I have close personal ties to the department or deceased. It is a mental health thing for me, I know the nature of the job and I really don't need to have it rubbed in my face that tommorow I could leave my family without a / father / husband / son / brother

That should not be taken as a "I don't care". I have never heard of a firefighters funeral lacking in attendance, and the friends, family and local fellow firefighters are the ones that really matter, not some anonymous ramblings of an online forum. I am quite confident that nobody will miss the posting of my condolences on the I hate LAFE forums.

In my opinion LODD threads should be about the deceased, and their life / lessons learned. Posts like yours make me wonder if there are people out there obsessed with how many facebook "likes" their guy got.

I'm sure that was not your intent, but that is what it seems like when I see outrage posts like this.

As far as part 2, yes, the obsession with LAFE is an amazing waste of air (bandwidth) but it is others waste of air and they are free to pursue that to their hearts content. It is easy enough for me to breeze right by it.
    rm1524 likes this.

Forum Member

As the other posters have stated, LODD's are important to me. Every one represents a loss to the fire service and many of them represent a failure of the fire service.

I do read about them every day on my e-mail when I come to work through Billy Goldfedger's site. I study them to see if their lessons can apply to my combo department, my volunteer department or the classes that I teach at other departments in this area or National Fire Academy classes that I teach.

I wish I had time to post on every one, but I don't. On occasion I will post a condolence on the specific fire department website as it has the most impact there, not on a national website.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

I think most of us said a short prayer asking for healing and peace for the loved ones,I dont think an internet connection is needed for that.
    ?

Forum Member

I think your tirade in the Dallas thread was grossly inappropriate, not only for its content, but also for doing it in that thread. That said, you aren't the first person to make many of those comments on here.

The fact that a person does not post a comment in a LODD thread means nothing other than they didn't post. For some, it may be because they haven't had the opportunity. For some, it may be because they don't know what to say. For some, they simply choose not to.

I have no issue with those who choose to post their condolences, nor those who choose not to. Personally, I don't typically comment in those threads because to me, it kind of feels likes it's a hollow gesture.

Regardless, I'm sure everybody connected to the fire service is saddened when LODDs occur, but the absence of commenting in a forum doesn't mean we are ignoring it or don't care. To insinuate that our priorities are out of whack because we choose to engage in debate that you see as pointless while not knowing about anything we might be doing otherwise to observe or honor a LODD is insulting.

Forum Member

Posting condolences on a message board or facebook almost feel like slacktivism to me. My input is probably neither needed nor wanted, though I suppose I do post it sometimes anyway. Generally, I say a prayer to my maker, take a moment to reflect, then continue on my day.

Thread Information