Forum Member

Default Question about extrication tools

Can anyone shed some light for me on what criteria is necessary to AFG to consider awarding extrication tools, been very lucky on many AFG grants but i keep getting passed up on rescue tools, don't know if run volume is getting me or what. We have a set that was bought off gov deals and it is on its last leg. Any input would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefb1 View Post
    Can anyone shed some light for me on what criteria is necessary to AFG to consider awarding extrication tools, been very lucky on many AFG grants but i keep getting passed up on rescue tools, don't know if run volume is getting me or what. We have a set that was bought off gov deals and it is on its last leg. Any input would be appreciated.
    Did you receive a computer DJ or did the grant make it to Peer Review?

How many MVA's did the department respond to?

How many extrications did the department perform?

How old are the current extrication equipment?
    Last edited by onebugle; 05-23-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Forum Member

Never made it to peer, average 90 mva's a year with around 20 extrications, old tools are around 18 years old.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefb1 View Post
    Never made it to peer, average 90 mva's a year with around 20 extrications, old tools are around 18 years old.
    Based on the grants that I have written and have been awarded for extrication equipment those figures are not that bad. This year I had one awarded for 68 MVA's, 5 extrications and 20 years old with all awards averaging 84 MVA's, 8 extrications and 19 years old.

There has to be some other underlying issue in the application that is preventing the grant from moving to peer review. You might want to have someone else look at the data and info that you have provided to see if any red flags emerge.

Forum Member

Got several in the same boat with money this year for rescue tools. Considering the drop in dough and the resulting increase in the competitiveness of the program a small difference in numbers is what separates comp DJ from getting into Peer. Trucks it's more pronounced, would be willing to bet that there were several hundred apps within .5 points of making Peer.

That's why we say put it together right the first time and it will fund. Took 3 years on 1 aerial with us doing it, 2 prior attempts by the department before that all 4 comp DJs until funded this year. Was 4 years on another, 3 comp DJs and a Peer DJ, then we did it this year and it's pending. Most of our denied apps are just updated for the new year and put back in, even on the Ops side it's about 40 or so that were denied in 2011, half comp DJs, and all funding. Sometimes it takes those inherently scoring higher to get funded and out of the way before others can sneak into the winner's circle. Tis the nature of competition.

So in a nutshell, if it's done right, and you have no other Ops need that ranks higher, and can't afford to buy them in the meantime, keep cracking away at it. Polish every year as needed based on new incidents and other things you have learned about writing grants (cough, hint, cough) and keep at it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys . . . very informative , we actually sat out last year, but we'll try again this year.

MembersZone Subscriber

Does using the extracation tools for automatic aid district help in scoring? Our numbers are kinda low for MVA/s and extractions but we have full auto aid with 3 other fire departments that. They have alot more MVA/s and extractions and none of us have extracation equipment we have to rely on a county unit thats 30 minutes away.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034 View Post
    Does using the extracation tools for automatic aid district help in scoring? Our numbers are kinda low for MVA/s and extractions but we have full auto aid with 3 other fire departments that. They have alot more MVA/s and extractions and none of us have extracation equipment we have to rely on a county unit thats 30 minutes away.
    Yes it will. You will receive additional consideration if the equipment will benefit another department and/or made available for mutual/automatic aid responses.

Thread Information