Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By JayDudley
  • 2 Post By EastKyFF
  • 1 Post By fire49
  • 1 Post By fire49

Thread: Backgrounds and FB

Forum Member

Default Backgrounds and FB

As a current Background Investigator let me remind everyone who uses Facebook. We do look at your pages and for those of you who love to go crazy on your posts remember this......we are watching. I know there's those who say "Freedom of Speech" and "You can't access my FB page". #1- I agree and # 2- yes we can.
    ffbam24 likes this.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

You're 100% right. I do much of the hiring work at my office, and when an applicant's Facebook page featured the sentence "I like to drank", I immediately knocked her out because 1) she's clearly a lush and 2) she can't spell.

And establish an email account with a professional username, not taint_sniffer403@gross.com or sugarpie392@crossdresser.net
    ffbam24 and yjbrody like this.
    “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

Also posts on firehouse !!! Seen some interesting ones from applicants and even people in the academy or on probation

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF View Post
    You're 100% right. I do much of the hiring work at my office, and when an applicant's Facebook page featured the sentence "I like to drank", I immediately knocked her out because 1) she's clearly a lush and 2) she can't spell.

And establish an email account with a professional username, not taint_sniffer403@gross.com or sugarpie392@crossdresser.net
    Taint sniffer? Lmao.. You mad my day bro..

On the real though, my wife and I work for a large financial institutions and we have specific policies on social media.. And I'm sure someone gets paid to search for people's Facebook twitters etc..

With that being said.. If you are in the process or on probation I would consider taking it easy with the posts.. Taking down any pics of you drinking or behaving in a manner which may seem unbecoming.. Or create a joint acct with a spouse to keep in touch with people..

Forum Member

Default Background

That's why I posted this to let Candidates know...."We're watching you." Recently I had a candidate tell me that he was upset he didn't pass the background my reply was....."It might have been your Facebook postings" his reply was "Really.... then never mind "
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Question for those that do backgrounds. Is it suspicious to not have any type of social media account such as Facebook, Instagram, or twitter? I never got into any of these and now it seems I stand out because I don't subscribe to them. Comments?

Forum Member

Just saw this today and this post came to mind.

http://www.9news.com/news/politics/3...ebook-snooping

-Dave

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one View Post
    Question for those that do backgrounds. Is it suspicious to not have any type of social media account such as Facebook, Instagram, or twitter? I never got into any of these and now it seems I stand out because I don't subscribe to them. Comments?
    Nope just explain if asked you do not play

Not unusual

Forum Member

Default Background and FB

No problem if you don't partake using social media. Do as Fire49 says and don't worry. You should make sure though that easy access to your site is blocked. Just bringing up a name and observing can do the trick in dropping you from their lists.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Just a word of caution: Some social medias will never completely delete your account so be careful if you had an account and then deleted it.

I setup a Linked In account 8-9 years ago or something back when I was looking for a job right out of college, but never did anything with it. I can still pull it up when I Google my name though. Just to play it safe I put it down and say I set it up, but never used it. It has never come up with my various backgrounds.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Default Backgrouds and FB

Here is an article I found on what they are looking at...

According to onrec.com, the top ten turn-offs for employers who go through profiles on Facebook include:
    - Indecent language, vulgar jokes, unacceptable pictures
    - Any evidence of substance abuse
    - Criminal activity
    - Fanatical views
    - Membership to silly groups
    - Bad mouthing of former employers or places of work

Interestingly, prospective employers do not stop with checking out a candidate’s profile. They also use what you’ve posted to find out more about your communication skills, general attitude and qualifications. So, if you’re really not what you claim to be, chances are, you’ve left traces of your lies in your conversation with others.

When your profile is subject to such minute inspection, do you need more reason to clean up your profile?

You can give your profile a swanky new look easily:
    Get rid of silly quotes, inane or extreme views and distancing yourself from bigoted or pointless memberships.

Don’t forget to add some of your favorite books in addition to music and films. Employers love it when you appear well-read and profound.

Check closely for typos. Do not go for too much internet lingo. These might seem unimportant to you but your potential employers appreciate it if you can write ‘You’ instead of ‘U’ and stop using internet short forms.

Next, go through your photos – every single one of ‘em. Untag those that you do not want. That way, anyone snooping around cannot find that picture of yours.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Great info!

I've been FB free for almost a year now though. Just went ahead and deleted the while thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Check closely for typos. Do not go for too much internet lingo. These might seem unimportant to you but your potential employers appreciate it if you can write ‘You’ instead of ‘U’ and stop using internet short forms.
    Lol...that is a little ridiculous.

Forum Member

"Memberships to silly groups"

I'm a member of a Ninja group. Hopefully that isn't too bad
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

Thread Information