Forum Member

Default Medical-Exposure Question

Hello m8s!

I wasn't sure where to really put this, but I was hoping that one of you might be able to point me in the right direction: I was looking over some forms for University, and I noticed that I have to do a TB screening-questionnaire. Okay, I have never had TB nor anyone I know, but a particular question tripped me up: 'Have you ever been a volunteer or healthcare worker who has served clients who are at increased risk of active TB disease?'

In my department I am involved almost entirely with the fire-side of things, although I have ran a few EMS calls as an extra set of hands. So would my answer to this be yes or no? I don't know everyones' medical history that I have been around as part of the job. So I would assume yes, but is it that simple, or is this primarily directed at Nurses and elderly-home technicians?

Any advice would be helpful. I am almost certain that I am 'clean' but at the same time I want to make sure that I play this by the book. I mean I suppose getting it done isn't the worst that could happen, but if I don't necessarily qualify for the 'yes' then there is no sense in getting stuck with a needle if I don't have to!

Cheers!

Forum Member

Not a medical person but

The test they inject something under your skin, makes a bubble, and you check it in 48 hours

http://www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/testing/...bile=nocontent

Would say on the answer to answer No, unless you know for sure you have been around with TB for sure

MembersZone Subscriber

With your limited exposure, I'd be tempted to agree with Fire49, but you have had exposure about which you cannot assume that you have or have not been exposed.

Probably the best solution would be to contact the school and see if you can find someone to clarify for you.

Or, if there's a suitable space on the questionaire, check "No," then write what you wrote for us about your limited exposure.

Either way, the TB tine test is no biggie, and nothing to fear. I haven't had one in a while, but as I recall, they dribbled a little stuff on your arm, then basically poked or scratched the skin there. After a couple of days, they "read" the site (or ask you to) and judge your exposure from that. (Check Fire49's link for more info).

When I was a kid in MI, I had to have one for a food service job.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Forgot ,, we get annual tb stick, as part of our physical

That is my knowledge of it

And no more then likely will run into full blown tb from a patient encounter on the street

Thread Information