Forum Member

Default State of Hawaii Airport Fire

Anyone got any updates on an upcoming recruit class? 16 recruits graduated in March from the 100 that were pooled back in August 2012. Mahalo
    Last edited by omer110; 07-01-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Forum Member

I have not heard anything.

I tested/CPAT/interviewed in August. I was not offered a position at the time. My email states that I am eligible for consideration until 8/31/13.

Your post is news to me. The hope is still alive! Please keep us up to date!

Forum Member

Hello bhovig. Nice to get a reply!? How did you do on the written test? Also do you have any certifications? I felt like there wasn't enough time to complete the written test. The CPAT was good except for the charged hose drag over the barrels. Seemed like a lot of people struggled with it and I even got canvas burns on my forearm. Glad to see that I'm not the only one getting really anxious on the waiting game.
    Last edited by omer110; 06-19-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Forum Member

Hello,

I did not get an email regarding employment verification waivers in Februrary. I scored an 85 on the test. I felt the test was pretty average. The time limit on it is tough but I think it is designed that way, to eliminate a certain percentage right off the start.

I have some certifications, but not locally. I live in California. Most importantly I have EMT (with BLS ambulance experience). I also have experience as a volunteer F/F and several CA certifications but I don't think those really mattered in the end. It really semmed like (based on the interview questions) previous fire experience didn't matter much in the selection process.

The CPAT was definitely the most unique I have completed. It was the first and only time I have had a swim test. The charged hose shuffle was interesting (and unique). Not exceptionally difficult, but the with the stress of the unknown time limit you really had to move fast.

As I traveled from out of state for the CPAT (and passed), they arranged my interview the next day. I felt really good on the interview. A few days later I received a letter stating that I was not chosen for the position. I think that since I was interviewed and not selected that I am no longer on the eligibility list and that is why I did not receive the email in Februrary or in the last few days.

After completion of the CPAT, did you interview? If so, how did you feel it went? What was your written test score? Whats the next step?

Forum Member

I believe that all of the Hawaii counties and state fire all have swim tests as part of the CPAT. I only seen a few people that didn't pass the CPAT. I also had my interview the next day after the CPAT. I felt comfortable during the interview. I think my interview took around 20-30 minutes in the left interview room. I was the only one in a suit from the four guys that I seen in the waiting area. One of the captains said that I looked sharp so I guess they don't get a lot of suit attire. I scored a 78 on the written test. I think the steps after the interview are just the background checks and medicals.

Forum Member

Do you know of anyone that got hired?

Forum Member

I believe that the next recruit class will be in Maui under the joint county-state program.

Forum Member

Bump for updates. The last Maui class had 22 members with half county and the other state. My guess is that the class will probably be around the same size.

Thread Information