Forum Member

Default Cleveland (OH) EMS

Hey Everybody,

I have an interview with CEMS in Ohio and I was hoping to get some background from you guys on CEMS as a whole. I'm originally from Cleveland and would like to move back home, but I have to admit, I have a pretty sweet job with a FD down here in Houston and I have some concerns.

I was curious if anyone here has heard anything about the morale of the medics, mandatory OT and call backs when off-duty or on vacation. Also, any word on pay rate and schedule and any insight on the upcoming FD/EMS merger would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank in advance to everyone on here. Stay safe ladies and gentlemen!!
    Pete

Forum Member

I just finished medic school in Cleveland. I didn't get to ride with Cle. EMS, but I heard others' opinions of medics I did ride with in other cities.

I also had a couple of medics from C-EMS that helped out here and there with our labs. They have been on the dept. for a very long time. I got the feeling that they had a very bitter attitude overall as they talked about their call experiences. They get good calls and are extremely busy. However, they are also busy with overload of b.s. calls too. I will say they absolutely knew their sh** when it comes to skills and abilities!!

I've heard the merger has caused some tension among Fire/EMS personnel. How much or how severe? I don't know. I'm also unsure if there is high turnover or not. I'll bet that most medics who go to Cle EMS are working to get experience while waiting to get on a fire department elsewhere since the job market is so saturated.

Just my thoughts. Take it with a grain of salt. Good luck if you interview!

Forum Member

I'm sure the stuff you will see will be worth it for the experience alone. To be honest I would stay down in Texas if you have a good gig.. that is just me.

Forum Member

It's an interesting time with CEMS/CFD. The merger is on the minds of everyone and most don't know much of what's going on.

As for runs, they stay busy. The post above about seeing a lot is true. They have hired a lot of newer people within the past year so CEMS is "changing" however there are still a few people who are jaded but you'll have that everywhere. For the most part they know their stuff and do it well with limited quaintity (i.e. newer equip).

I run in to the CEMS guys a lot at the ERs and I know a good majority of them. As one of the more senior medics put it, "There is goin to be bumps with the merger but it should shake out in the long run for the best."

Bottom line: if you have a solid job, why shake it up?

Forum Member

Hey guys...I appreciate the responses. I'm on the fence, but leaning towards staying put. Any other opinions are more than welcome!!

Thanks again

Thread Information