Forum Member

Default Have questions about organizing my future

I have used this site a lot in planning what I want to accomplish in the future as far as becoming a firefighter. I have lined up a list of goals I need to accomplish before ever applying but just need help with organizing everything. I am a California resident and starting in the fall i am attending my local college to attend fire technology classes. I am also scheduled to get my emt cert next fall as well. Other then those two covered i have questions about other related training and procedures that i would like some answers to.

1. As far as education goes, should I get my two year degree or just take the individual fire classes that my school offers? I have read that for the hiring process it won't be seen as much but when it comes to promotions it will come in good use to have?

2. When do you attend a fire academy? Do you enroll in one before you ever apply around to departments or wait until you are hired and have them send you to one?

3. Do you need ff1 and ff2 certs before you apply to departments or is that part of the training you receive after hired. I know this probably depends on which department im sure and what they require, but which or both would be a good idea to have before ever applying around?

4. And my last question is i am not planning on living/working in California when the time comes to start applying and testing for departments. Would it be a good idea to just stick with fire classes and/or a college degree out here along with my emt and then wait to get the rest of my certifications and do my volunteering time in the state in which i choose to work in? I'm thinking along the lines of saving time and hassle of switching everything over someday from state to state and getting in that situation where another state will only except half of what I have accomplished for certifications.

Thank you guys for any help in answering my questions. Sorry for the length just had a lot of clearing up I wanted to get answers to.

Forum Member

4. And my last question is i am not planning on living/working in California when the time comes to start applying and testing for departments. Would it be a good idea to just stick with fire classes and/or a college degree out here along with my emt and then wait to get the rest of my certifications and do my volunteering time in the state in which i choose to work in? I'm thinking along the lines of saving time and hassle of switching everything over someday from state to state and getting in that situation where another state will only except half of what I have accomplished for certifications.

You need to check the state if states you want to work in, most all states are different on what is needed to apply.

Once that is done get that training/ certs

Do you know what states you are looking at?

Forum Member

I would focus on just getting the essentials done first, (fire 1&2, emt-b/p, etc) whatever would be the minimum requirements for the area you are targeting work in. I can tell you from first hand experience that the 2 year degree doesn't mean much at interview time. If California is anything like Missouri, you'd better plan on getting Paramedic if you want to make any money in it. Also it will depend on the department you apply for as to whether or not you will have to have training or if they have their own training and put you through it. There are departments around the St. Louis, MO area that will hire someone with paramedic only and pay for the recruit to go through the fire academy, so it all just really depends on the requirements of the department you are seeking to work for.

hope that helped some, good luck on your future endeavors

Forum Member

Thank you guys for the responses that helps clear up some things. Would the fire 1 & 2 switch states if I chose to get it done out in California? I thought the emt would be able to switch but after reading some departments site pages they say the emt must be registered in that state so i dont know.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=ericcaw1994;1371494]Thank you guys for the responses that helps clear up some things. Would the fire 1 & 2 switch states if I chose to get it done out in California? I thought the emt would be able to switch but after reading some departments site pages they say the emt must be registered in that state so i dont know.[/QUOTE

Depends on the state some states do some don't

Thread Information