Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chenzo
  • 1 Post By paulLepore

Thread: How Would You Answer This Question?

Forum Member

Default How Would You Answer This Question?

You have been selected for the Academy. While there, You have built close friendships with 3 other recruits. One of them seems to be singled out much more than anyone else by a certain instructor. You even hear the instructor say to him "If this is too hard, maybe you should find a different line of work". The recruit has asked you to keep quiet about this. What would you do?

Thanks.

Forum Member

I would keep quiet about it.

Forum Member

Is he struggling ????

Forum Member

I'd be curious to know what kind of person the instructor is first...

Is he the kind that says things like this to get people to quit? Or is the kind of guy who wants the recruit to do better, and not fail, so he's using it as an opportunity to let the recruit prove him wrong?

I'm honestly not sure what I would do.

EDIT: I guess my question is this. Is the instructor legitimately being an azzhole? Or just trying to push the recruit to do/be better because he knows he is better?
    Last edited by Chenzo; 06-05-2013 at 08:04 PM.
    Abrahammer likes this.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

The instructions We received at the interview stated that the interviewers would not respond to any questions....so gathering additional info on the instructor wasn't an option.

The gist of my answer was "maybe the instructor had His reasons.........I certainly didn't see any reason for me to approach the instructor about it....and it was a tough job, and you had to be a tough person".

The way I looked at the question, I figured they were trying to get You to think that you were expected to stand up and defend the other person when there was no need for it in this situation.

Forum Member

Unless the academy is like the military recruit, and they have a policy of no yelling, or harrasment??

In which you are kind of repsonsible for telling someone higher up what you were told.

I think you have to kind of give a general answer and be able to justify it. Like I know the recruit has been struggling from day one, and I felt the instructor was trying to motivate him, and I have not seen any abuse or harrasment

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trekker View Post
    The way I looked at the question, I figured they were trying to get You to think that you were expected to stand up and defend the other person when there was no need for it in this situation.
    I agree with this, but would have added that if I thought that the guy was struggling I would have asked him if he wanted to work on anything in our off time. Hell, you can even make it sound like you want some help with something. Get your other buddies involved in the evolutions too. It would only make him and all of you better and it's a way of offering help without getting in the middle.

Then add in a similar situation if possible: I noticed another recruit that was consistently struggling with donning SCBA within a minute so I offered to work with her to get her time down over the course of our academy. While her time improved, I also noticed my time improved too. I'm sure you have a similar story.

Just my two cents. Based off the info that you gave, I think you took the right path.

Good luck with your testing!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

That question is designed to see what kind of personality you have, one that says 'don't get involved, it's not my problem', or one that looks for ways to improve a situation, and one who takes personal interest in his 'brother'.

Since you are close to the recruit, you should be aware of his weaknesses. So help him. You certainly do not want to insinuate that you feel the instructor is being too hard on him, or singling him out, that is the last thing you want to say. Focus on the positive, which is you working together with the other recruit to make BOTH of you better prepared for career FF'ing.

Forum Member

The recruit is being singled out because he is struggling. It's not your responsibility to intervene between a recruit and an instructor. It is your role to take him aside and help him in any way you can. This means during lunch, coming in early, staying late and on weekends. It's your responsibility to help him make it through. This issue is with the recruit, not the instructor.
    yjbrody likes this.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Thread Information