Forum Member

Default Suggested outcomes: upside down in borrow ditch with water entrapment

We responded on this initial alarm the other day.

Dispatched as single vehicle rollover, submerged in burrow ditch, unkown victims entrapped.
    Initial size up: 1990's -2000's model Ford F150 with canopy, roof resting in 3 feet of ditch water. Unk # of patients heard shouting and banging interior of vehicle.

Extrication challenges: Immediate access to drivers door cramped into vegetation, slope of ditch and wood and barbed wire fence. Passenger side also hampered by slope of confined ditch. Cold water conditions. Unk timeframes before initial 911 call from passerby. 2315 hours.

Although the outcome came sort-of inadvertanly easily, actual extrication would have posed signicant challenges for our Dept. No water rescue capacity.

Because this call was pretty close to town in our rural area, manpower was not an issue.

What processes would you have proceeded with?
    Whats your Plan A, B etc.?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  38.4 KB

Forum Member

Chainsaw and the vegetation issue is reduced. Portable pump and the water level may be reduced. Have to get in to see what you are working with....

Patient conditions will dictate the rest.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Remove the Truck from the Water.

Quote Originally Posted by hinesfire View Post
    We responded on this initial alarm the other day.

Dispatched as single vehicle rollover, submerged in burrow ditch, unkown victims entrapped.
    Initial size up: 1990's -2000's model Ford F150 with canopy, roof resting in 3 feet of ditch water. Unk # of patients heard shouting and banging interior of vehicle.

Extrication challenges: Immediate access to drivers door cramped into vegetation, slope of ditch and wood and barbed wire fence. Passenger side also hampered by slope of confined ditch. Cold water conditions. Unk timeframes before initial 911 call from passerby. 2315 hours.

Although the outcome came sort-of inadvertanly easily, actual extrication would have posed signicant challenges for our Dept. No water rescue capacity.

Because this call was pretty close to town in our rural area, manpower was not an issue.

What processes would you have proceeded with?
    Whats your Plan A, B etc.?

Attachment 22910

Attachment 22911
    Hook it and pull it out with a response vehicle or tow truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rboog2 View Post

Uh, NO. You don't know the position or condition of the patients. Rolling it may cause one patient to fall on the other one whom may now be under water. Not to mention there may be a partial ejection or loose item that may further injure your patients. A good option would be to cut out the floor pan and rocker panel on the bottom to acess what is now the top of the vehicle. Make sure you establish communication with the victims and let them know what is going on.

Forum Member

My name is Les Baker and I was confronted with a similar scenario several years. It was very humbling and led me along with several others a set of tactics that can be used for this exact situation. It has become the basis for a program we do called Down in the Ditch. The class is annually a part of the Southeastern Extrication School. Some of the tactics include recovery vehicle options, the Darlington Roll, Cracking the Egg, controlled rolls, floorboard operations, and tunneling. If you send me your address I will send you a copy of the program.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Les Baker View Post
    My name is Les Baker and I was confronted with a similar scenario several years. It was very humbling and led me along with several others a set of tactics that can be used for this exact situation. It has become the basis for a program we do called Down in the Ditch. The class is annually a part of the Southeastern Extrication School. Some of the tactics include recovery vehicle options, the Darlington Roll, Cracking the Egg, controlled rolls, floorboard operations, and tunneling. If you send me your address I will send you a copy of the program.
    interested -do you need e mail or mailing address ?
    ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    interested -do you need e mail or mailing address ?
    If you can ever make to one of Howell Rescue Systems' Crash Courses, they teach some hands on on that kind of extrication. Hell of a course.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsb View Post
    If you can ever make to one of Howell Rescue Systems' Crash Courses, they teach some hands on on that kind of extrication. Hell of a course.
    its on my bucket list
    ?

Forum Member

Hey Les, would enjoy getting a copy of that. send to my personal iamjm@yahoo.com
    Jonathan
    Hines VFD

Quote Originally Posted by Les Baker View Post

Forum Member

Send me your email

MembersZone Subscriber

Recently a California-based trainer who specializes in Dispatcher training conducted a class for our City Public Safety Dispatchers. Regarding submersions, he played a tape of a 911 call where the caller started out sort of laughing and apologizing to the dispatcher. He said he went off the road and his car was filling up with water. As you listen to the tape, he panics at about two minutes and has drowned in less than four minutes.

The trainer's teaching point was that dispatchers should forget their usual protocol where they try to get the address, callers name, and all that other stuff. They are to immediately tell the caller to open the window, unbuckle, and go out the window. Seems they could have less than four minutes left to survive.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

Thread Information