1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    7

    Default Multiple Primers

    While doing research for a new pumper I have noticed that many spec more than one primer in the bid spec.

    Some have spec'd a primer manufactured by the pump company with additional air primers. What is the benefit if doing this. I have talked to some who say they pick up a primer a lot faster with more than one.

    What is the best set-up for primers and picking up a draft as quick as possible? Where and how do the set up more than one primer?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,348

    Default

    First, air primers are the only way to go now. We've actually retro-fitted all of the 20 pumpers at work with Trident air primers - yes, they're that good.

    Second, we have a new pumper on order at the VFD. We spec'd dual primers on it - one for the main suction inlets, and one for the rear suction. We can prime the rear suction to the valve, which is located near the main pump inlet, and escape all of the air in the 5" plumbing coming in from the rear of the vehicle. This will be more efficient than using the main pump primer to do that task, especially when water is already flowing.

    I recently saw a pumper with four primers on it, one for each side, the front, and the rear. A selector knob on the pump panel would send power to the correct one when the primer activation switch was pulled. Interesting concept...
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    Swanton Fire Dept. Swanton, Vermont
    Posts
    479

    Default Some thoughts...

    Quote Originally Posted by stumiester View Post
    While doing research for a new pumper I have noticed that many spec more than one primer in the bid spec.

    Some have spec'd a primer manufactured by the pump company with additional air primers. What is the benefit if doing this. I have talked to some who say they pick up a primer a lot faster with more than one.

    What is the best set-up for primers and picking up a draft as quick as possible? Where and how do the set up more than one primer?

    Thanks
    There are many ways you can add capability with multiple primers and other options related to them.

    Standard set up would be one primer for the whole pump.

    Second Primer on front or rear intake: Allows you to prime that intake up to the valve that isolates it from the pump. Or gives additional priming due to the long piping and elbows.

    Primer selector valve that connects primer to the outside of any MIV (Master Intake Valve) you have set up. So you can select whole pump, MIV left, MIV Right, Front/Rear.

    This would allow you to prime any one that you selected after you have already established water supply from one of the others or your on board tank water. Prime it, then open appropriate MIV and you now have switched to alternate supply or added a second intake. Examples would be multiple lines at draft at a lake or multiple portable tanks that are being supplied by water shuttle operations.

    We have one and soon to be another truck with the primer selector valve. It has worked pretty well for us. Attack off tank water, as you are doing that set up to draft and then prime that second supply before you run out of tank water.... etc.... But it does take the MIV to have this primer selector connection outside the MIV (hose side) so you prime up to the valve.

    In rural ops you do not want to have people inside making attack and then loose prime because you switched supplies.... they get rather upset when they don't have water and need it... rightfully so.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Erie, PA/ Home of Lake Effect Snow
    Posts
    314

    Default

    Our newest is also set up that way. 3 primer points, main pump, and left and right Master Intake Valve. We don't have front or rear suctions so no worries there. The ease that you can pull a draft and then switch to source water is amazing. Pull a prime to the outside of your valve and then open the MIV. It's that simple. For a company that doesn't draft much, it makes our lives a lot less stressful when you've got to drop the hard tubes.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    First, air primers are the only way to go now. We've actually retro-fitted all of the 20 pumpers at work with Trident air primers - yes, they're that good.

    Second, we have a new pumper on order at the VFD. We spec'd dual primers on it - one for the main suction inlets, and one for the rear suction. We can prime the rear suction to the valve, which is located near the main pump inlet, and escape all of the air in the 5" plumbing coming in from the rear of the vehicle. This will be more efficient than using the main pump primer to do that task, especially when water is already flowing.

    I recently saw a pumper with four primers on it, one for each side, the front, and the rear. A selector knob on the pump panel would send power to the correct one when the primer activation switch was pulled. Interesting concept...
    One word of caution with Trident air primers, and they will tell you this themselves: If you have exceptionally long lengths of sleeves or dry hydrants, etc., you can run out of air before you will achieve a prime. In a case like that, you may need to consider an extra air tank or some way to increase your supply of air. I was talking to them about trying to devise a way to connect our CAFS compressor to it. We haven't really pursued it because we don't have a current need, but I'd think that there ought to be a way to do it.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,429

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    I was talking to them about trying to devise a way to connect our CAFS compressor to it. We haven't really pursued it because we don't have a current need, but I'd think that there ought to be a way to do it.
    For the plethora of drafting that we do?????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Trident air primers
    By taskforce16 in forum The Engineer
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-27-2006, 10:33 PM
  2. Multiple Job Offers
    By CaptBob in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 09:53 AM
  3. multiple alarms please!
    By pne4ever in forum Connecticut
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 02:30 PM
  4. Multiple LODDs?
    By codeblue81 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-04-2002, 03:28 PM
  5. multiple specialties
    By zedlav in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2001, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register