Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Las Vegas Firefighter Trainee 2013

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tbt View Post
    It's happening, ladies and gentlemen. I have my packet in hand with marching orders of what needs to be done next. I would just say that much of what was said over last few days is accurate and true.

For those that are local, let me know if anyone would like to get together prior to academy and go over some stuff.

For those that are out of state, let me know if there is anything I can do to help the transition. I have been here for a minute and might be able to help answer questions.

Merry Christmas!
    Turn on your private messaging.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tbt View Post
    It's happening, ladies and gentlemen. I have my packet in hand with marching orders of what needs to be done next. I would just say that much of what was said over last few days is accurate and true.

For those that are local, let me know if anyone would like to get together prior to academy and go over some stuff.

For those that are out of state, let me know if there is anything I can do to help the transition. I have been here for a minute and might be able to help answer questions.

Merry Christmas!
    First of all, congratulations! When was your poly scheduled? How soon after that were your next steps completed? Thanks for the heads up!

tbt
    MembersZone Subscriber

PM is now on

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    Turn on your private messaging.

tbt
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Kk_09 View Post
    First of all, congratulations! When was your poly scheduled? How soon after that were your next steps completed? Thanks for the heads up!
    Took my Poly last week, midweek. After that I just waited and then got "the call" this last Tuesday to come get my packet of materials, etc.

tbt
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Thank You 4 Your Time View Post
    tbt, for those of us who haven't been called, would you mind outlining yourself, as far as what you look like on paper so we can start forming an idea of "who's getting called"? Although the backgrounds of folks getting called may be varied, I have a feeling there are certain characteristics City is looking for (possibly beyond the obvious.) And just for fun, what did you score on the written?

Congratulations for pretty much making it on with LVF&R, I'm sure I'm not the only one who hopes to be in your shoes...

As for "marching orders" I'm presuming that's an outline of start dates, etc.?
    Thanks. I am excited.

Marching orders = a plethora of appointments over the next several days: dr. appointments, drug screen, blood draw, an HR sign-in appointment, a link to an online site to complete a bunch of docs, etc, etc.

I forget my exact score. I want to say 94, but don't hold me to that. It was mid-high 90s. On paper, nothing special. Not a medic. I do have FF1, HazMat, EMT I, fire science degree, some ems experience and some fire experience (not a ton). I know that sounds vague. Send me a PM if I can answer some specifics.

Today I am thankful for a chance to be part of the best fire department ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calls are still going out.. Anyone get a call that didn't do the Poly?

Forum Member

Well congrats to those that got on with city, best of luck to you guys.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lukied112 View Post
    Well congrats to those that got on with city, best of luck to you guys.
    What have you heard? I wasn't aware they had finished contacting.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't quote me on this but I believe all calls have been made for polygraph testing. I was informed by HR that they are still waiting for those who haven't completed their polygraphs yet to offer jobs. I have my polygraph on December 11th.
    Last edited by nnfra200302; 12-05-2013 at 01:16 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't speak for lukied112 but I think he his just congratulating those who got job offers thus far.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    I can't speak for lukied112 but I think he his just congratulating those who got job offers thus far.
    Got it, just didn't know if there was some information! I have actually heard of someone getting a job offer with no poly. My background investigator told me yesterday they hadn't finished contacting everyone that needed poly's! This is quite the process but we are all nearing the end. Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Got it, just didn't know if there was some information! I have actually heard of someone getting a job offer with no poly. My background investigator told me yesterday they hadn't finished contacting everyone that needed poly's! This is quite the process but we are all nearing the end. Good luck!
    In regards to that someone who got a job offer without going through the polygraph test, who did you hear this from?

I had spoken to the investigations department and HR not that long ago and both had informed me that EVERYONE has to go through the polygraph testing before a job offer is made.

The last time I spoke to the investigations department, I was informed that the third week of December will be the last week for polygraph testing.
    Last edited by nnfra200302; 12-05-2013 at 12:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got a final offer of employment! Kk_09 is right, some are getting a final offer before they take their polygraph test but according to HR everyone is required to go through the polygraph test whether its before you get a final offer or after you get a final offer. I'll be in town this week for the medical screening, drug test, additional uniform fitting, etc. HR did also remind me that this is still conditional upon passing these remaining steps. I feel as though my long awaited dream is finally becoming a reality! Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear.

Forum Member

When were you notified nnfra200302? This morning? Also, what credentials did you put down for this job?
    Last edited by Kk_09; 12-09-2013 at 02:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

When were you notified nnfra200302? This morning? Also, what credentials did you put down for this job?
    I was notified last Thursday. The following are the credentials that I listed.

-AAS fire science degree (firefighter academy program). Received
    Firefighter I and II, Haz-Mat and a number of other certifications from
    this program.

-Advanced EMT (formally known as EMT-Intermediate).

-Two seasons as a Wildland Firefighter.

-EMT/Transporter at a hospital.

-Volunteer Firefighter/EMT-B.

-Reserve Firefighter/EMT-I.

I did what was necessary to try and make myself more marketable. I think the one thing that put me over the top was the investment that I made to get private coaching for the interview. I am not the greatest at interviewing but I learned very quick that I had a lot to offer but I was not presenting it in a manner that would propel me to that next level. That quickly changed after my private coaching session.

P.S. Thanks Captain Rob Smith!
    Last edited by nnfra200302; 12-09-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Forum Member

So I received this from City HR:

"Thank you for participating in our recruitment for the position of Firefighter Trainee and for your patience as we have worked through our processes.

While you were not selected at this time, you will remain on the eligible list as long as the list is active and will be considered for future vacancies.

Thank you again for your interest in the City of Las Vegas. We wish you much success in your future career endeavors."

...I kind of saw it coming, especially with no call from HR or a BI. However, the question I have is would I have been notified in the email that I wasn't selected due to failing my background or psych. evaluation?

Congratulations to all of you moving forward!

Forum Member

I'm unsure on that, good question! But I received the same email, kind of bummed. Maybe the next one will be for me! Congrats to all those in this upcoming rookie school, I bet it feels great to start working for LVFR on Jan 6! Keep us updated guys!

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm unsure on that, good question! But I received the same email, kind of bummed. Maybe the next one will be for me! Congrats to all those in this upcoming rookie school, I bet it feels great to start working for LVFR on Jan 6! Keep us updated guys!
    I can't speak for everyone else but I sure will keep you guys and gals updated. Never give up, keep at it. That's some of the best advice I was given over the many years that I tested.

Forum Member

Does any body know the max age to take the test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjjohn View Post
    I had to complete my application from my cell phone because I wasn't home. Thankfully, all of my 'important' information was saved from the application I created the last time LVF&R was hiring (otherwise I'd have been TOTALLY screwed.). I just hope the hiring process moves forward in a 'timely' manner this time, instead of being halted just after the written exam, and we all waited almost a year for the process to continue. Good luck everyone!
    This round of hiring is done. 40 moved forward, and the other 80 or so folks who didn't are on a list, of sorts, and will be considered if there is another hire.

Thread Information