Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Las Vegas Firefighter Trainee 2013

Forum Member

Same here, only I'm scheduled for July 24th @ 8:00am. It's odd that since there are/were only 500 applications accepted, that the written is scheduled over multiple days. I've tested with 1,000+ at one time before. (Here in Vegas)
    Last edited by Thank You 4 Your Time; 06-25-2013 at 04:10 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just received my email notification.

Forum Member

Just received mine as well. It's being held at the department of human resources, probably the reason for having to schedule multiple days. Not enough space for 500. Good luck to all.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JVN83 View Post
    Just received mine as well. It's being held at the department of human resources, probably the reason for having to schedule multiple days. Not enough space for 500. Good luck to all.
    That does explain a bit,....but at this point,...does anyone who tested last time remember us being allotted 3.5 hours? My memory says 2 hours flat. Any chance there would be more to this test, or would we be told to study 'x, y, and z' in addition to the FPSI book? Good luck everyone!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thank You 4 Your Time View Post
    That does explain a bit,....but at this point,...does anyone who tested last time remember us being allotted 3.5 hours? My memory says 2 hours flat. Any chance there would be more to this test, or would we be told to study 'x, y, and z' in addition to the FPSI book? Good luck everyone!
    I took it as, we should allow 3+ hours for the entire process. In case anyone is being picked up, or has a plane leaving at a certain time etc..

The study guide strictly says, everything you need to know is within this book so..

But I'm also curious, there isn't any math in the study guide, so does that mean, no math on the exam?

Forum Member

Hey, been out of the testing game for a while but just found a copy of the 10th edition FPSI Test Preparation Manual that I purchased a few years ago for the Burbank test. Just wanted to make sure it was still current so I was wondering if anyone who had already purchased the book would mind typing out the first sentence on page 43 for me. Don't mind buying an updated copy but figured I'd save the money if it wasn't necessary. Really appreciate it!

Forum Member

Heat stroke, commonly known as sunstroke, is a life threatening condition in which death can occur if proper treatment is not rendered immediately.

Forum Member

I have a 10th edition with practice test that I ordered for the Vegas test. I didn't get my app in time, so I no longer need the study guide. If any guys in the local area need one, send me a PM.

Forum Member

I appreciate it "Thank you 4 your time." Hasn't changed! Anyone make it to an interview last time? Unfortunately wasn't able to make it out for mine last year but am looking to get back home this time around.

C41
    Forum Member

Good luck on the test everybody! Probably will be a nice break from that 117 degree heat.

Forum Member

I emailed City HR about CPAT, they will not be sponsoring it, and will require those who move forward after the written to obtain their CPAT from a certified location.

Forum Member

Did they say the criteria for "certified"? Any other details about what locations they'll except?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JVN83 View Post
    Did they say the criteria for "certified"? Any other details about what locations they'll except?
    No, I simply asked if LVF&R will be sponsoring it. I was told to not take one now, but instead wait to see if I'm moving on. The last time LVF&R simply required candidates to test at an IAFF-Certified CPAT location, or have a valid CPAT card, which is valid for one year.

Forum Member

Default Testing tomorrow

Anyone gone yet or is it Tues.-Thurs. ? I'm set up for tomorrow at 1 just curious how many days they're doing it over.. Good luck to all

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Superrp7 View Post
    Anyone gone yet or is it Tues.-Thurs. ? I'm set up for tomorrow at 1 just curious how many days they're doing it over.. Good luck to all
    I believe testing started yesterday, with two test sessions each day up until Thursday. One at 8am and the other at 1pm. Without getting into details, for those that already tested, how do you feel about it?

Forum Member

Mmmm.... Not sure wishing I would have had a little more study time only had 2 weeks once I got the notice and ordered my book wasn't super difficult but never is until you crack open the actual test. I tested in 09 felt pretty good when I left that and I think I was in the second group then before they froze everything. Fingers crossed definitely a lot less people this time I think it was 1500 or so last time? 500 this time I like the odds just have to wait and find out

Forum Member

The test this time around pretty much follows the format for the last test, but there are extra questions at the end. I'm pretty sure I scored somewhere in the 90's.....we will be able to view our scores online in 7-10 days. Pending a high enough score we will then receive an email outlining the rest of the process. (CPAT, which group you're in, etc.) Good Luck to all of you!

Forum Member

ok, so we've all taken the test, what are your impressions/feelings?

I know for sure I missed five, with the possibility of seven total. Not too bad...that puts me in the 93-95% range (as long as I didn't miss any of the others).

My big question revolves around the personality-based questions.... I understand they are used when ranking those with the same score, i.e....say seven people get a 94, then the other questions are used to "rank" those folks (?).

Interested in your thoughts about this.

Are those questions factored-in to our final scores? Do they count against us if we answered "wrong"? I've never had those types of questions, and feel that they are completely subjective, so are there really a "right" or "wrong" answers?

Good luck to all who tested...we'll get our scores soon.

MembersZone Subscriber

So I have heard from not one but two people that they only tested between 230 and 288 applicants. In both situations it involved friends of friends who work for the department so don't quote me on this as this could just be hearsay. Good luck to all that tested. Am already getting anxious for my results. Haha.. I am with Thank You 4 Your Time on the personality questions. If anyone else could shed some light on how those are factored in that would be great. I know that there are some members on here who work for the department, maybe they can chime in.

Forum Member

Those numbers sound great! I as well would like to know how those personality questions are graded. No one seems to have any info on it.

Forum Member

Scores are posted... How'd everyone do?

Forum Member

I scored a 91,...pretty happy with that...another guy got a 94.....time to start interview practice!

Forum Member

I got a 95%

MembersZone Subscriber

I scored a 94%... I am happy with that. Like Thank You 4 Your Time said, time to start preparing for the interview. Good luck everyone!

Forum Member

94 for me. Anybody know anything about the interview? With the written being weighted 100%, is the interview process for "tie-breaking" purposes or what? Good luck everybody!

Thread Information