Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Las Vegas Firefighter Trainee 2013

Forum Member

did anyone else receive a conditional job offer?

Forum Member

Yes, I received the same email, and know of two others who also received it.

Forum Member

Did anyone else catch that October 14th is a federal holiday? I would think city offices would be closed that day.

Forum Member

Anyone get an offer from both city and Henderson?

Forum Member

Turned my packet in yesterday and learned a few things:

Your original documents are not needed at the time you submit your packet, bring them with you on the date you're scheduled to take the Suitability Assessment.

We are going to be interviewed about our Personal History Statements. Whether or not it's part of the psychological interview, I do not know.....going on a limb, I think one interview will be for Personal History, and another interview will occur after the results of the Suitability Assessment are generated.

And finally,....according to he HR woman I spoke to while handing my info in, there are over 200 people turning background packets.....was quite a bit higher than I expected.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thank You 4 Your Time View Post
    Turned my packet in yesterday and learned a few things:

Your original documents are not needed at the time you submit your packet, bring them with you on the date you're scheduled to take the Suitability Assessment.

We are going to be interviewed about our Personal History Statements. Whether or not it's part of the psychological interview, I do not know.....going on a limb, I think one interview will be for Personal History, and another interview will occur after the results of the Suitability Assessment are generated.

And finally,....according to he HR woman I spoke to while handing my info in, there are over 200 people turning background packets.....was quite a bit higher than I expected.

Good luck!
    I was under the impression all of the documents would be needed at the time of background interview, when you see the investigator.

Forum Member

Hey folks...not too much activity on this thread....

So we're all in the middle of the Background and Psychological Interviews....I've heard 140 took the Suitability test this past Monday. I've had both of my interviews, and feel they both went well, with no major problems.

Was told there will be a meeting between Background/Psych./ and possibly the Chief on 11/12 to begin the process of narrowing-down 140 to something closer to the 44 we've heard are being hired for the academies. And we should expect to hear something around the end of November,...if you don't hear anything by the first week of December, call your Background Investigator.

I'm wondering if any of you have heard, or were told anything else?

Good luck folks....pretty much one in three of us will be hired.

MembersZone Subscriber

Am at the same point in the process. I feel like everything went well. If anyone has any new news to report, feel free to chime in. Keep the faith!

Forum Member

Heard from a reliable source that 110 is the number going through this processes with 38 being hired..possibly 44 depending on 6 in the medic program and 15 later on down the road due to the new station but this is just hearsay..

Forum Member

Has anyone done their polygraph yet?

Forum Member

I've got my Interview with the investigators tomorrow, what should I expect? I'm sure some of you have completed this step.

Forum Member

Benskii, no poly yet....(sorry if anyone read my original post,...a little early here to respond to posts )....I don't think we'll start seeing polygraphs for another week, at least. Pretty sure I saw the appointment pages after the exam showing dates for interviews throughout this week. If the City does not start making decisions until 11/12,...I would expect the polygraphs to start after that. Will post if I hear more.

Kk_09, I've had my background as well.....expect EVERY line of your background packet to be examined. EVERY LINE, AND EVERY RESPONSE. You will be questioned on some things. This was my first background, and I must admit, it is a little unnerving, regardless of your answers/responses. PM me when you finish for more info. Good luck!
    Last edited by Thank You 4 Your Time; 10-21-2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Correction

Forum Member

Great, thank you! I will definitely let you know. Keep in touch.

Forum Member

I was told that Polygraph's will not be until after official offers are given.

Forum Member

On the one hand, that makes complete sense....but on the other hand,...you'd think the Dept. would want to have us jump ALL the hurdles, and then make the final decisions based on those "left over". Just my $.02.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thank You 4 Your Time View Post
    On the one hand, that makes complete sense....but on the other hand,...you'd think the Dept. would want to have us jump ALL the hurdles, and then make the final decisions based on those "left over". Just my $.02.
    I totally agree. It's looking like Polygraph and Medical will be the final hurdles. Time will tell.

Forum Member

I actually have my polygraph and background interview the 29th of this month, they consolidated it for me since I'm from out of town...

Forum Member

You'd think they would try to consolidate our processes as much as possible, meaning,...schedule our tests/interviews/etc. in a concise timeframe, as to aid all of us. Not only in the sense of allowing those from out of town to save a few bucks here and there, but also so that we know "quicker" if we're moving forward or not.

There has to be reasons why not though.

Good luck, all....if 110 tested, and 38-44 are getting hired....with another 15 for a new station.....that says 53-59 are actually going to get hired (at one point or another)......essentially the odds are close to 1:2......

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by benskiii View Post
    I actually have my polygraph and background interview the 29th of this month, they consolidated it for me since I'm from out of town...
    If I remember correctly, my background investigator told me that polygraphs will be after final selections are made. I am also from out of town and I had my psych and background interview last week. I think you mean psychological, not polygraph.

Forum Member

Thank You 4 Your Time:
    $200 a plane ticket times 4 times flying out there is more than a few bucks, at least to me. It is tough that we all have to keep going back an forth but the job would be worth it so some sacrifices have to be made. 1:2 odds aren't bad for a department like there's.

nnfra200302:
    I actually already met with the doctor last Tuesday for my psychological test. I spoke with the investigator last Tuesday as well and they were able to schedule both thepoly/interview in one day to save from multiple trips.

Forum Member

Rumors floating they are only doing one hiring off this list. They plan on testing again in 6 months. Not sure if it's true or not and I'm sure that it needs to get approval from council, but I don't think they were happy with the turn out for this list.

Forum Member

Benskii- I was grossly understating the cost for those out of town....I don't know how you folks do it....and yes, $200+/ticket is NOT cheap....(and I won't even go into lodging, food, etc.)

Firespin- that's an interesting post....it seem like things change almost daily. However, I've heard from six or seven people that '44' seems to be the number....but,...at last hire, we were told 24-26....and we all know only 14 were actually in the academy. Curious, what leads you to believe the City was not happy with the turnout this round?

MembersZone Subscriber

Here you say that you have your polygraph and background interview on the 29th.

Thank You 4 Your Time:
    $200 a plane ticket times 4 times flying out there is more than a few bucks, at least to me. It is tough that we all have to keep going back an forth but the job would be worth it so some sacrifices have to be made. 1:2 odds aren't bad for a department like there's.

nnfra200302:
    I actually already met with the doctor last Tuesday for my psychological test. I spoke with the investigator last Tuesday as well and they were able to schedule both thepoly/interview in one day to save from multiple trips.
    Here you say you met with the psychologist and the background investigator last Tuesday.

Am a little confused by your posts. From your prior posts it sounds like you have completed your psych and background interviews and now you have a polygraph scheduled for the 29th. Is that correct?

Forum Member

nnfra200302:
    I spoke with the investigator over the phone to schedule my poly/interview

MembersZone Subscriber

nnfra200302:
    I spoke with the investigator over the phone to schedule my poly/interview
    Did you call your investigator or did he or she call you to schedule this? Did this occur after your background interview?

Thread Information