+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 First ... 2345678 ... Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Las Vegas Firefighter Trainee 2013

Forum Member

Firespin- that's an interesting post....it seem like things change almost daily. However, I've heard from six or seven people that '44' seems to be the number....but,...at last hire, we were told 24-26....and we all know only 14 were actually in the academy. Curious, what leads you to believe the City was not happy with the turnout this round?

Because 150 people didn't show up to test..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireSpin View Post
    Rumors floating they are only doing one hiring off this list. They plan on testing again in 6 months. Not sure if it's true or not and I'm sure that it needs to get approval from council, but I don't think they were happy with the turn out for this list.
    In my opinion, it does not seem feasible for the city to go through the entire testing process again in 6 months from now. Am sure if the city wanted a bigger turnout they would of accepted 1500 applications instead of 500 applications. I do know that a testing process like this cost most cities a substantial amount of money. In todays economy, the budgets for most if not all government agencies have been cut back and spending needs to be done wisely. Again, this is only my opinion.

If anyone on here works for LVF&R and doesn't mind shedding some light on this hiring process, feel free to post. It might clear up some of the confusion.

Forum Member

A few things to remember...rumors and opinions seem to run wild during hiring processes. Everyone can try to make sense of it all, but the fact of the matter is that nothing is set in stone until official info is directed from the City and/or Dept. Even then, things are subject to change. It's nice to speculate that 44 will be hired and another 18 hired there after to fill spots for a new station opening in the future. There is nothing wrong with positive thinking, info sharing, opinions, and trying to stay current on news or possibilities. But just keep in mind that everything is dynamic.

For example: Last official word anyone has heard is that they are looking to hire 38. Ok cool. So logisticly the Dept has direction to prepare for that (38 job offers, supporting cadre, funding, blah blah blah). Well at any given time the City can reduce/increase that number of 38 for any given reason. I'm sure a lot of research went into that magic number of 38 so chances are it won't change much. My point is, that hearing the number of people they want to hire is good info (just an example), or maybe an optimistic rumor to share.

Either way, relible source rumor, or one of our opinions about how the Dept should do or not do something based on financial reasons or common sense or anything else, things change. So to get relible info such as: another test again in 6 mo, or 15-18 more hired after one academy, etc. may be generated from talks behind the scenes between the city and the dept. And what actually passes based on various reasons, who knows.

Just stay positive and continue to share info. This hiring process seems to be slighty different than past ones, so other than the obvious portions of the process, I'm not sure anyone knows much or would be able to shed light on some of the confusion.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nnfra200302 View Post
    In my opinion, it does not seem feasible for the city to go through the entire testing process again in 6 months from now. Am sure if the city wanted a bigger turnout they would of accepted 1500 applications instead of 500 applications. I do know that a testing process like this cost most cities a substantial amount of money. In todays economy, the budgets for most if not all government agencies have been cut back and spending needs to be done wisely. Again, this is only my opinion.

If anyone on here works for LVF&R and doesn't mind shedding some light on this hiring process, feel free to post. It might clear up some of the confusion.
    I agree w/ this. And if I didn't get hired off this current list I'd be hoping they keep the list active. And if they didn't and did retest, I'd be thinking it was to have a current list w/ more applicants available just in case, versus jumping into an immediate academy like this list is going to do.

Forum Member

Heard academy start date is January 6th?

Forum Member

I heard the same thing, January 6th.

Forum Member

What's everyone's thoughts on having to choose between 2 great departments? For example city of Las Vegas and Henderson.. Suggest taking whomever starts academy first?

Forum Member

Did you call your investigator or did he or she call you to schedule this? Did this occur after your background interview?
    The investigator called me and I have yet to have my background interview, but I am scheduled to have it the same day as the poly.

Forum Member

ffsd17 enable private messaging in your account settings.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by benskiii View Post
    The investigator called me and I have yet to have my background interview, but I am scheduled to have it the same day as the poly.
    So how did everything go? Any new information to pass along?

Forum Member

CPATs due yesterday, everyone get them in? Another day closer to the hiring meeting on the 12th!

Forum Member

Got mine turned in! This wait is gonna kill me. One day closer...

Forum Member

I know, so stressful. I hope I'm on this first list

Forum Member

I have a question for you guys. How old are most of you guys? I ask cause I am 42 and cannot get the thought of becoming a firefighter out of my mind. I tried for a while in my early twenties and stopped testing because I started a business. Now I am more mature and life experience that I believe would help me in getting hired. I am afraid of my age though and I also had a bk chapter 7 in 1996 and one last year. I can explain each situation but hear a bk is very bad. I would appreciate any insight from any one. Thanks.

Forum Member

I'm 23, I don't have much insight on the severity of a bk chapter 7 or the effect it may have in the hiring process so I'm not much help there! I wouldn't worry too much about your age... Seems to me they are hiring the elite of our group- what it is they are exactly looking for I'm unsure! Best of luck to you!

Forum Member

'Sedemente'....I'm 38. Feel free to PM me with questions (other than the ones you've posted)...I too, have a list of background qualifications that I feel mesh perfectly with the fire service, and hope that I soon will have an opportunity to display them. As far as the bk, I know they're not good, but it sounds as though you have an explanation, so it will be up to the BI to interpret your situation. Age-wise, I've heard it goes from 18, up to 50-something's getting hired- all depends on what LVF&R needs.

As for this current round/list of hires, that seems to be the 'crystal ball question', no one person knows for sure what they're looking for. We can all presume a somewhat wide variety of ages that have focused their individual skills, talents, educations, experiences, and backgrounds on one common goal: becoming a member of Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

Good luck to all reading this,....I/we've been told November 12 is when the decision-making starts. And that's in exactly one week.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am 30 years old. Along the lines of what "Thank You 4 your Time" said, as long as you gave an explanation of both instances, I don't think something like this would be automatically disqualifying. The only thing that might hurt you is the fact that it happened a second time. I believe they will run a credit report on you as part of your background investigation. As far as your age is concerned, I wouldn't worry about it. I've heard of people at the age of 50 getting hired. I believe if your determined enough and your not willing to give up during those tough times then you will eventually get the job! Good luck buddy.

Keep the faith!

Forum Member

Just a quick question, did everyone else also recieve a 'conditional job offer' before the background investigation process began?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Kk_09 View Post
    Just a quick question, did everyone else also recieve a 'conditional job offer' before the background investigation process began?
    I received one.

Forum Member

I received one as well.

Forum Member

Good to know! It seems as though when I talk to guys from other departments, a Conditional offer is a great sign.... Who knows! Good luck!

Forum Member

Has anyone been contacted yet?

Forum Member

nope. She, the background investigator, told me we wouldn't hear anything until after Thanksgiving. Probably the first week of December...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NWDREX2 View Post
    nope. She, the background investigator, told me we wouldn't hear anything until after Thanksgiving. Probably the first week of December...
    I haven't heard anything yet either. Were you told this during your background interview or did you recently speak to your BI?

Forum Member

I haven't heard anything yet either. Were you told this during your background interview or did you recently speak to your BI?
    She told me this during my background interview.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 First ... 2345678 ... Last

Thread Information