Forum Member

Default Leather bunker boots

So I am tired of how uncomfortable and crappy rubber boots are.Im looking for some feedback on leathers.The reviews iv seen say that Globe are the best, iv also seen that most people go a size up and wider then there regular shoes. Just thought id ask around before I go and spend all that money.

Thanks.

Forum Member

I was the same way before I got my leathers. They are much more comfortable. I have the Globe boots which are a size larger than my shoe size but not wider.

When it comes to what brand is the best or most comfortable, it comes down to personal opinion. I've seen people say they love Haix or Black Diamond over Globe. I've worn Pro Warringtons which are also a very comfortable boot, but yes I do love Globe. They fit like a sneaker and are extremely comfortable for extended operations.

Your best bet would be to head to a local supplier if you can and see if you can try different ones on and walk around in them to see what one works best for what you're looking for.
    "If it was easy, someone else would of done it already." - Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

- Firefighter 1 / HAZMAT Ops / EMT-B

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Currently between my 3 FDs and the tech college I am using Globe, Haix, Black Diamond, and Thorogood. They are all good quality comfortable boots, but if asked to rate them I would put The Black Diamonds and the Globes at the top. Not that the Hiax, or thorogood are bad boots, but the Globe and Black Diamond fit best.

Frankly, I would go to a salesman and try boots on.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

i have the globe 12" structural zips and they are by far the best and i also have the globe 14" shadow boots but havent worn them much.

the thorogood leather zips are a good boot as well, didnt wear them for very long but i liked them for the time i had them.

Forum Member

At Dept. 1, I have a pair of Thorogood 14" structural boots. At Dept. 2, I have a pair of Globe Footger Supremes. And for my personal set of gear/wildland in the summer, I have a set of Lion Commander 12" zippered boots.

Thorogoods: Comfortable, fit well in the calf. (I have big calfs, and I couldn't get my legs in my rubber boots with jeans on) They seem very durable, I've had them for somewhere around 4 years now, no cuts, burns or punctures. My only suggestion, and it may just be my feet, is get some insoles. They aren't the msot comfortable for standing long periods of time without insoles.

Lion: Very Comfortable, very durable, extremely nice fit and hold the ankle very well. I've had these for about 5 years now I think. My only complaint is I wish I would have gone with the 14" non-zippered model instead of the zippered model, because I found that zippers on structural boots aren't my cup of tea, but they are still a great boot.

Globe: The best boot I've had on, hands down. Fits like a shoe, holds my ankles very secure. With the supplied insoles, they are good for long periods of time on your feet. Quality seems good too. I've had them for almost 2 years and they show no signs of wear, really.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Frankly, I would go to a salesman and try boots on.
    ffmace, while we cna give our opinions on what we've worn, ^this is the best advice in this thread. Not everyones feet are the same, nor are everyones preferences.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

The best boots are the ones that fit YOUR foot the best, as Chenzo has stated.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

We use Cosmas leather boots and find them to be good. I have not seen them mentioned here, so they must pretty rare.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    We use Cosmas leather boots and find them to be good. I have not seen them mentioned here, so they must pretty rare.
    Honestly, I have never heard of them.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Im a fan of black diamond myself, they fit and feel the best. I was issued a new pair of the globes but I actually wasn't a huge fan so I returned to my old diamonds. Now if im the engineer for the day the bunker pants go in the compartment and I throw on the old 3/4 rubber boots.
    Gary
    Advanced Firefighter -T.R.F.D
    Engine Co. #1 "The House On The Hill"

"What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity"

Forum Member

buy American
    ?

Forum Member

I have Thorogoods, and they are AWESOME. My work boots are Thorogoods too. They're light, and durable.

Thread Information