Like Tree379Likes

Thread: Lt. Ray hits another home run!

Forum Member

Oh wait, that's so he can go inside by himself and "observe fire conditions", my bad.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    Certainly I'm not the only one that caught "I will order forceable entry.." Opening a flow path and venting the building so it will burn faster?
    Well, if it burns down faster the boys can get back to fishing and hunting. Although fishing and hunting can be rather dangerous............
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    Well, if it burns down faster the boys can get back to fishing and hunting. Although fishing and hunting can be rather dangerous............
    Do you think they drink Busch in the camouflage cans back at the firehouse?
    conrad427 likes this.

Forum Member

Certainly I'm not the only one that caught "I will order forceable entry.." Opening a flow path and venting the building so it will burn faster?
    Perform the operation then control and close the door.

Can still control the flow path.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

You are correct.

Which is why I don't hunt and generally why I stay off of boats.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    You are correct.

Which is why I don't hunt and generally why I stay off of boats.
    You stay off of boats? Now I REALLY don't trust you!

Forum Member

Do you think they drink Busch in the camouflage cans back at the firehouse?
    I especially like the limited edition orange camo ones that comply with blaze orange laws.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

When the members, or some of the members, stop disparaging rural VFD s that can't do the job to thier high and mighty standards, i will be happy to leave.
    I'm sure there are VFD's that do the job to standards that most would consider doing the "job."

Yours isn't one of them.

As I stated earlier, a six year old boy and a dog in Australia do the job better than you and your idiot group.

If hunting and fishing are more important than responding, then they should stop pretending to be firefighters.
    conrad427 likes this.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I'm sure there are VFD's that do the job to standards that most would consider doing the "job."

Yours isn't one of them.

As I stated earlier, a six year old boy and a dog in Australia do the job better than you and your idiot group.

If hunting and fishing are more important than responding, then they should stop pretending to be firefighters.
    You're right.

Once a member volunteers, he should give up all other interests.

Forum Member

You're right.

Don't be ridiculous. No one is saying that. Volunteer fire fighting is not a hobby. It is not unreasonable to expect certain sacrifices out of volunteers. Certain sacrifices must be made to maintain a level of competence the citizens deserve. Firefighting is not a hobby, golf is a hobby. Making sacrifices to get to your tee time is okay? Making sacrifices to protect the citizens is not? I have never heard of taking an oath to play golf.
    slackjawedyokel likes this.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

You're right.

I didn't say any such thing.

That is not the issue being discussed.

Does deflection work with your fellow hayseeds....er colleagues?

With the obligation those in your burg took up when they volunteered to be firefighters came a responsibility that you continue to prove they and you don't want unless it involves wearing the uniform and fooling the public.
    Last edited by scfire86; 07-04-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Forum Member

Don't be ridiculous. No one is saying that. Volunteer fire fighting is not a hobby. It is not unreasonable to expect certain sacrifices out of volunteers. Certain sacrifices must be made to maintain a level of competence the citizens deserve. Firefighting is not a hobby, golf is a hobby. Making sacrifices to get to your tee time is okay? Making sacrifices to protect the citizens is not? I have never heard of taking an oath to play golf.
    Proving once again, that Bossier Parish is being deceived about its firefighting (or lack thereof) workforce.

Forum Member

You're right.

Once again, you go to the nth degree and way off base. Nobody said that....NOBODY. You made that up, just like most of the stuff you post here.
    slackjawedyokel likes this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

yeah he is sure a drama queen.
    ?

Forum Member

So if it's not a hobby, what is it?

Yes, it is a hobby.

A hobby that agreed, requires a certain level of dedication but still something done on one's freetime after the needs of one's job and one's family has been met.

Do I expect member's to attend a reasonable level of training? Yes. But what is reasonable? 3 hours a week? 6 hours a week? A 42 0r 50 hour rookie class? FFI? FFII?

That is all a matter of perspective.

I expect my interior members to attend the majority of the weekly training. They are expected to complete the rookie class, part of which occurs in addition to weekly training and part of which occurs during weekly training. In fact, it's a requirement for members who wish to operate interior.

My previous VFD also had a 24 hour requirement for attending outside classes, which was reasonable for the volume and variety of the hazards in that district. A 12-hour requirement would likely be reasonable here for interior members.

The fact is most of our members work 60-80 hours per week, so yes, accommodations must be made.

Forum Member

I didn't say any such thing.

That is not the issue being discussed.

Does deflection work with your fellow hayseeds....er colleagues?

With the obligation those in your burg took up when they volunteered to be firefighters came a responsibility that you continue to prove they and you don't want unless it involves wearing the uniform and fooling the public.
    There is a significant difference between the training obligations of full-time EMPLOYEES of a department who are paid to train and VOLUNTEERS who are not.

Reasonable requirements? Yes. I have no issues with that.

But to expect the same level of training, even at simply the firefighting level, as paid members, which seems to be your expectations? Not reasonable.

Forum Member

Proving once again, that Bossier Parish is being deceived about its firefighting (or lack thereof) workforce.

Just to point it out one more time .. My VFD is not in Bossier Parish.

My combo department in Bossier has no issue making interior attacks, though often, IMO, we shouldn't, but that is a separate discussion.

Forum Member

Just to point it out one more time .. My VFD is not in Bossier Parish.
    Well then apply what I said to your VFD only.

My combo department in Bossier has no issue making interior attacks, though often, IMO, we shouldn't, but that is a separate discussion.
    Yes, we know. Because you lack the ability to do the job to the point where a six year old and a dog provide better rescue capability than your VFD.

Forum Member

Well then apply what I said to your VFD only.

Yes, we know. Because you lack the ability to do the job to the point where a six year old and a dog provide better rescue capability than your VFD.
    So I should base my tactics on the clearly unsafe actions of a 6 year old and a dog?
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-05-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Forum Member

So I should base my tactics on the clearly unsafe actions of a 6 year old and a dog?
    It would be better for your citizens than what you base them on now.

Which is ensuring that potential victims become human briquets.
    Last edited by scfire86; 07-05-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Forum Member

It would be better for your citizens than what you base them on now.

Which is ensuring that potential victims become human briquets.
    As have stated earlier ... and many other times .... due to the size of the district it is highly likely that anyone that does not self-extricate will die.

And it wouldn't matter what fire department is responding ... fire growth and response time are pretty much factors that don't vary.

Forum Member

As have stated earlier ... and many other times .... due to the size of the district it is highly likely that anyone that does not self-extricate will die.
    Which is why your citizens would be better off with a six year old boy or an Australian dog.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

You're right.

'Just when I think you have said the stupidest thing ever you just keep on talking." Hank Hill

Nice attempt at yet another idiotic diversion. You know very well that wasn't what he meant. Frankly, if you and your fellow vfd members can't see the difference between going hunting or fishing as planned, or going to a house fire, it speaks volumes about how depserately pathetic your vfd members truly are.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    'Just when I think you have said the stupidest thing ever you just keep on talking." Hank Hill

Nice attempt at yet another idiotic diversion. You know very well that wasn't what he meant. Frankly, if you and your fellow vfd members can't see the difference between going hunting or fishing as planned, or going to a house fire, it speaks volumes about how depserately pathetic your vfd members truly are.

So you would expect them to respond to a long-term incident such as a building fire on an hour or so before a planned hunting or fishing trip ?

I don't do either, but to expect that is, IMO unrealistic.

There is a limit to what we can expect of volunteer personnel. The VFD is a part of their lives, not the focal point of their lives.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-05-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Forum Member

So you would expect them to respond to a long-term incident such as a building fire on an hour or so before a planned hunting or fishing trip ?

I don't do either, but to expect that is, IMO unrealistic.

There is a limit to what we can expect of volunteer personnel. The VFD is a part of their lives, not the focal point of their lives.

The fact is that if a member works a 60, or even 50 hour work week that leaves him a 3-4 hours after work and 2 weekend days, which should be committed to family, home and likely hobbies.

I believe that one night a week is realistic. Two nights a week periodically may be acceptable. More than that is unreasonable. More than that starts to infringe on their lives too deeply.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-05-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Thread Information