Like Tree379Likes

Thread: Lt. Ray hits another home run!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    What a joke. A station with no staffing gets credit as long as a rig responds to one structure fire call in a year.

Does your chief keep track of that so he makes sure those unstaffed stations get their rigs out for that one call? I can't help but picture this scenario. "Holy crap we need to get tender X from station X out to a call or we won't get credit. Bobby go get it for this call!"
    Not quite, but sorta. We do keep mental track of those 2 northern stations, and there are times where we may direct a member there, rather than one of the three southern stations if the structural call is in the northern part of the district.

I'll give you an example.

A couple of months ago we had a report of smoke in residence at the extreme northern part of the district, within a 1/2 mile of station that rarely sees it's engine get on the air. When one of our members signed on the air I directed him to head north and pick up that engine rather than going to the closest station to him at that point and getting that engine up.

It actually was quicker as he could make better time in his POV and we were able to meet the requirement for the once a year minimum response for that engine and station.

He got the engine up and he arrived just behind the first-in engine from Central Station.

In the event that somebody responds to a station, and the call is cancelled prior to the engine signing on the air we can document that the truck was in the process of responding, but the call was cancelled prior to it's signing on the air.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Pencil Whipping is an overall issue with the rating system.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 07-08-2013 at 09:01 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Yes, but you also like to use the shortcomings of your resources to assert that the rest of us are acting improperly.

Yes, I feel the fire service as a whole needs to reassess risk v. benefit.
    It has and then decided that your line of thinking is more of a risk than benefit.

As I've said repeatedly, it's not my definition or expectations. It's the core function of a Fire Department and what the public expects if their loved one is trapped in a burning building.
    It's the core function as defined by you.

Core functions are defined at the department level by the department.
    Once again, victim rescue and suppression were defined as a core function of the FIRE DEPARTMENT long before I got involved.

Once again, an individual department can define what they want to be or to not be a core function for themselves as an organization. However, those choices will define whether or not that organization is a FIRE DEPARTMENT or merely posing as one.

Actual FIRE DEPARTMENTS know that victim rescue supported by interior fire attack is one of the most core fire service functions and will make every effort to be able to provide that.

It's absolutely incredible as to just how much of a buffoon you are!
    Chenzo likes this.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Not quite, but sorta. We do keep mental track of those 2 northern stations, and there are times where we may direct a member there, rather than one of the three southern stations if the structural call is in the northern part of the district.

I'll give you an example.

A couple of months ago we had a report of smoke in residence at the extreme northern part of the district, within a 1/2 mile of station that rarely sees it's engine get on the air. When one of our members signed on the air I directed him to head north and pick up that engine rather than going to the closest station to him at that point and getting that engine up.

It actually was quicker as he could make better time in his POV and we were able to meet the requirement for the once a year minimum response for that engine and station.

He got the engine up and he arrived just behind the first-in engine from Central Station.

In the event that somebody responds to a station, and the call is cancelled prior to the engine signing on the air we can document that the truck was in the process of responding, but the call was cancelled prior to it's signing on the air.
    What a load of hogwash...
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

It DOES seem complicated to me. All of these stations, rules and whatnot. Getting credit for station distribution?

What about getting credit for a coordinated, aggressive fire attack that the citizens are paying for?
    Truthfully LA, it all sounds a little self serving.
    We may be just as screwed up in North Central Montana, but at least we know the fire service is a service industry.
    If I had a tire repair man that told me my flat was not his problem, well lets just say he would look funny eating corn on the cob with no teeth.

(That's my favorite line off of Blues Brothers.)
    Last edited by conrad427; 07-09-2013 at 12:26 AM.
    The fire service is about service to our fellow man.
    There is a trust that must not be broken and we are the keepers of that trust.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ToDaRoof View Post
    Lala, if you don't give a damn about how the rest of the country does the job, why do you even bother to frequent the board and add your two cents to everything?
    Attention whore.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    It DOES seem complicated to me. All of these stations, rules and whatnot. Getting credit for station distribution?

What about getting credit for a coordinated, aggressive fire attack that the citizens are paying for?
    Truthfully LA, it all sounds a little self serving.
    We may be just as screwed up in North Central Montana, but at least we know the fire service is a service industry.
    If I had a tire repair man that told me my flat was not his problem, well lets just say he would look funny eating corn on the cob with no teeth.

(That's my favorite line off of Blues Brothers.)
    No different than ISO, which is what most of country uses.

The rating system, either our's in LA or ISO, has very little to do with fireground operations.

It has to do with having the right apparatus and right tools, according to their requirements, training records, pre-planning and a bunch of other administrative requirements.

And we know that we are providing a service. The trick is I will not tolerate my personnel getting hurt providing that service.

We are there to help solve the problem. But that does not mean getting hurt doing it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    It has and then decided that your line of thinking is more of a risk than benefit.

Disagree.

Once again, victim rescue and suppression were defined as a core function of the FIRE DEPARTMENT long before I got involved.

Once again, an individual department can define what they want to be or to not be a core function for themselves as an organization. However, those choices will define whether or not that organization is a FIRE DEPARTMENT or merely posing as one.

Actual FIRE DEPARTMENTS know that victim rescue supported by interior fire attack is one of the most core fire service functions and will make every effort to be able to provide that.

It's absolutely incredible as to just how much of a buffoon you are!
    And I am sure that every department out there makes every effort to do just that.

That being said, there are communities and departments that simply do not have the resources - manpower, funding, apparatus or training - to do that.

Like it or not there are a bunch of departments that operate from a manpower pool that simply isn't deep enough to provide staffing to ensure consistent SAFE interior operations. Or funding guaranteeing reliable apparatus. Or resources to allow for adequate interior training, or enough working fires to develop a level of experience and confidence.

There are places where SAFE interior ops and victim rescue is simply not possible. And they are still fire departments in every sense of the word.

Forum Member

The rating system, either our's in LA or ISO, has very little to do with fireground operations.

It has to do with having the right apparatus and right tools, according to their requirements, training records, pre-planning and a bunch of other administrative requirements...

I will agree with LaFire on this part of his post...in regards to ISO. It's truly NOT an indicator of actual fire protection abilities.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I will agree with LaFire on this part of his post...in regards to ISO. It's truly NOT an indicator of actual fire protection abilities.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day...
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

It has to do with having the right apparatus and right tools, according to their requirements, training records, pre-planning and a bunch of other administrative requirements.

And we know that we are providing a service. The trick is I will not tolerate my personnel getting hurt providing that service.

The truth is you simply can't guarantee they won't get hurt, even standing out on the lawn. Suppose a drunk driver in a truck nails your pumper on the street? Or runs over one of you guys getting equipment off the truck? Or wires fall on someone? Or an explosion occurs in the house throwing debris for 50 to 100 feet? You see your little fantasy game is just that a game. You believe in this job that you can eliminate all chance of getting hurt by standing outside and you just can't.

We are there to help solve the problem. But that does not mean getting hurt doing it.

How are YOU solving the problem while standing outside waiting for the AMA FD to do the heavy lifting part of the job for you?
    Seriously, I chuckle at every one of your pathetic excuse laden posts. Tell the truth to your board and citizens and if they say "Golly, that's great!" Okay then, until then it is a facade, and a sham, and even YOU know it.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

And I am sure that every department out there makes every effort to do just that.

Not so sure I believe that after reading all you have posted.

That being said, there are communities and departments that simply do not have the resources - manpower, funding, apparatus or training - to do that.

And usually they have the balls to stand up to their board and citizens and tell them EXACTLY what they are willing, and not willing, to do with the resources they have. Or ask for input on what the locals want to do to imporve things. They don't sit on their hands and pretend everyone knows the truth.

Like it or not there are a bunch of departments that operate from a manpower pool that simply isn't deep enough to provide staffing to ensure consistent SAFE interior operations. Or funding guaranteeing reliable apparatus. Or resources to allow for adequate interior training, or enough working fires to develop a level of experience and confidence.

Tell me why your VFDs community wouldn't be better served with contracting half the district to Bossier Parrish and the other half to the AMA FD? I would bet turning over the equipment and dividing the $160K would cover it and offer real fireprotection mot just the image of fire protection.

There are places where SAFE interior ops and victim rescue is simply not possible. And they are still fire departments in every sense of the word.

I agree that some places refuse to accept the reality of what being a fire department is. The building may say fire department on it, but it doesn't make it so.
    More excuses...just more of the same LA.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Is it really the right thing to do to let the AMA crews shoulder all of the risk? What makes them different? I assume that they are Career and are being compensated for the work done, but don't they have families too? Fire fighters with the best training in the world can still be injured or killed. It seems pretty selfish. Not only do they have to handle all the risk that comes with their normal duty, but to protect your volunteers, they have to handle your risk too? The right thing to do would be to shoulder your own risk.
    In my opinion.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Doesn't really matter to me what you think.

We have increased recruiting and training. We have upgraded equipment. We have made arrangements for AMA.

And usually they have the balls to stand up to their board and citizens and tell them EXACTLY what they are willing, and not willing, to do with the resources they have. Or ask for input on what the locals want to do to imporve things. They don't sit on their hands and pretend everyone knows the truth.

Maybe where you are they do.

Tell me why your VFDs community wouldn't be better served with contracting half the district to Bossier Parrish and the other half to the AMA FD? I would bet turning over the equipment and dividing the $160K would cover it and offer real fireprotection mot just the image of fire protection.

First of all we are a Class 5. Under LA law, a district where the fire protection is contracted out is an automatic 10, so it would raise the district's insurance rates. Secondly, I know the Bossier wouldn't want it and I'm pretty sure the City wouldn't want to do it either.

I agree that some places refuse to accept the reality of what being a fire department is. The building may say fire department on it, but it doesn't make it so.

Big difference between refusing to and not being able to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad427 View Post
    Is it really the right thing to do to let the AMA crews shoulder all of the risk? What makes them different? I assume that they are Career and are being compensated for the work done, but don't they have families too? Fire fighters with the best training in the world can still be injured or killed. It seems pretty selfish. Not only do they have to handle all the risk that comes with their normal duty, but to protect your volunteers, they have to handle your risk too? The right thing to do would be to shoulder your own risk.
    In my opinion.
    In a perfect world, we would.

But we can't. Not right now. Not in the short-term and maybe not even in the long-term.

That's just the reality of our manpower situation.

So what exactly do you suggest? What's your solution?

Forum Member

The truth is you simply can't guarantee they won't get hurt, even standing out on the lawn. Suppose a drunk driver in a truck nails your pumper on the street? Or runs over one of you guys getting equipment off the truck? Or wires fall on someone? Or an explosion occurs in the house throwing debris for 50 to 100 feet? You see your little fantasy game is just that a game. You believe in this job that you can eliminate all chance of getting hurt by standing outside and you just can't.

You're right in that I can't guarantee anything. But I can sure minimize the risk by having the right number of members on-scene to accomplish a task. I can minimize the risk by identifying the training and/or experience needed for the task, and assign personnel that only have that experience and training. And I can minimize risk by identifying the level of training and experience for those who I task to supervise the task.

It's not very complicated.

And I can make sure that we are performing the task for viable gain, not just because "we are firefighters" or "it's our job".

So I accept the fact that making a fire attack with 3 members isn't safe. That operating interior without a backup line isn't safe, or responsible to my members. That's the way that you minimize risk.

How are YOU solving the problem while standing outside waiting for the AMA FD to do the heavy lifting part of the job for you?

If I don't have the staffing, solving the problem isn't my problem.

We can perform a quick search near the door. We can perform an effective exterior fire attack. And if there are victims, we may be able to make an effort dependent upon conditions, training and experience.

Forum Member

Still can't figure out the quote function I see...

Doesn't really matter to me what you think.

We have increased recruiting and training. We have upgraded equipment. We have made arrangements for AMA.

And yet you still count on AMA to do the real work of firefighting...

Maybe where you are they do.

Pity you find telling the truth so hard to do...It is simply a part of who I am, I don't have to dig for it, I don't make excuses. I tell the truth. Did it make me popular with my village board? No, at times it did not. But MY job was to protect the citizens of my community AND my firefighters. Did it make me popular as a member of the ems board? No, at times it did not. But my job as a board member was to make sure we offered professional ems care to our citizens with the best possible Paid On Call personnel and equipment we could buy.

The truth is simply the truth, pretty, ugly, nice or evil, it is the truth.

First of all we are a Class 5. Under LA law, a district where the fire protection is contracted out is an automatic 10, so it would raise the district's insurance rates. Secondly, I know the Bossier wouldn't want it and I'm pretty sure the City wouldn't want to do it either.

Funny now that your 5 rides in falsehoods and a nonsensical ratings system. My bet is the AMA FD will make a move within a couple of years to take over all or part of the vfd's area. They may even staff one or more of your stations while doing it.

Big difference between refusing to and not being able to.

At least refusing to do it is honest...
    More of the same...sad how the record keeps sticking and bounces back into the same groove, repeating over and over and over...
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

But we can't. Not right now. Not in the short-term and maybe not even in the long-term.

Part of a path to a solution is telling the truth to the citizens and the board. Sad that that idea seems so foreign to you.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

You're right in that I can't guarantee anything. But I can sure minimize the risk by having the right number of members on-scene to accomplish a task. I can minimize the risk by identifying the training and/or experience needed for the task, and assign personnel that only have that experience and training. And I can minimize risk by identifying the level of training and experience for those who I task to supervise the task.

Even with all the best equipment, all the best training, and the most experienced firefighters you simply are delusional if you believe you can eliminate the possibility of injury on the fireground.

It's not very complicated.

Neither is telling the truth.

And I can make sure that we are performing the task for viable gain, not just because "we are firefighters" or "it's our job".

Blah Blah Blah...Once again with the same idotic the rest of us are Kamikaze firefighters, blindly rushing in where we shouldn't go. I know you say that schitt to make yourself feel better for essentially doing nothing until the AMA arrives on scene.

So I accept the fact that making a fire attack with 3 members isn't safe. That operating interior without a backup line isn't safe, or responsible to my members. That's the way that you minimize risk.

Who supplies a back up line to the AMA 4 member engine company if you have NO interior members on scene? Is it okay for them to take a greater risk than you own firefighters? Because to be brutally honest that seems to be what you are saying.

If I don't have the staffing, solving the problem isn't my problem.

YES IT IS. You responded to a call for help. If you don't intend to do anything then stay home. Don't give the false impression that you are a fire department there to mitigate the emergency and protect lives and property.

We can perform a quick search near the door. We can perform an effective exterior fire attack. And if there are victims, we may be able to make an effort dependent upon conditions, training and experience.

Ah, more duck in and peak firefighting... I am glad you finally finished calling your exterior attack a transitional attack since you never transition. From everything you have said I doubt your amazing technicolor training will change a thing.
    The same record, the same skipping, the same groove. Boring, repetitive, and meaningless.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bossier Bobby
    I much prefer a very black and white "shall" and "shall not" world.
    Which is why you're a delusional buffoon. You can't just decide to see a world that isn't black in white, set in stone, AS BLACK AND WHITE. Not everything is shall or shall not. Not every incident can be boiled down to commit everything or commit nothing.... This is quite possibly one of your dumbest posts yet, and it's a gateway to see just how delusional you are.

Yes, I feel the fire service as a whole needs to reassess risk v. benefit.
    Disagree. The whole fire service doesn't need to sink to your pathetic level of fire protection.

It's the core function as defined by you.
    NO. It's the core function as defined by everything. Period, end of discussion. It's the core mission as defined by history. It's the core mission as defined by everyone in the fire service except your pathetic delusional azz, and, most importantly, it's the core mission as defined by the citizens in your response district. Go ask a random citizen, not anyone you are "friends" with, in your district, what they expect the fire department to do if they call you because their house is on fire, and/or if their loved one is trapped. I'd be willing to wager that they are going to say "Put the fire out." and "Save my grandma."

You call safe operating procedures designed to have a minimum staffing level before interior operations are started excuses.

Your personal number of minimum staffing on scene before interior operations is absolutely ridiculous, and you know it. You've painted the picture more than once on here that all your ducks need to be in a row before you make an interior attack. That's pathetic, flat thinking. There's no reason an interior fire attack can't be made with 4 guys on scene, when you KNOW mutual aid is coming. You talk about progress, yet you sink to single-level thinking.

I call it procedures for ensuring safe operations for the members and placing them clearly as the priority.

I call it a cop-out, simply because it's unrealistic to consider yourself a fire department when you think you have to wait for all your ducks to be in a row before you commit anything or anyone to something that might be remotely dangerous in a dangerouns career field...

Formalized procedures and training, and dedicated rapid deployment handlines for
    exterior/transitional operations.

Problem with your "formalized training" is it clearly hasn't done anything to help your manpower, training, or experience level.

Increased recruitment through the use of newspaper articles and mailers. To this date,
    those efforts have brought in 4 new members. Unfortunately one was recently
    deployed overseas and one had issues within the department. But we still have 2
    exterior members functioning within the department.

WOW, 4 whole members, one of which you lost due to his duty to defend his country, one you probably lost because due to the fact that your fire department is a sham, and 2 more that show up and stand in the yard.... Yup, sounds like you're working hard to change things. I can put an ad in the newspaper for anything. What are you ACTIVELY doing? Have you toured the community as a department talking to your citizens? Explaining to them what's going on and trying to recruit them? Oh wait, that means you would give away the facade so I know that isn't happening.

AMA on all structural incidents.

Doing all the hard work for you, while you stand in the yard and feel important.

Increased training budget.

What a damn waste. From your ramblings here it clearly hasn't helped anything.

Increased live burn training and increased outside training.

Development of a training area beginning with live car burn props, roof/ventilation prop
    and live burn pits.

What good does all that training do if you still refuse to let them operate?

I never stated that it would never change, but there is certainly that possibility. The reality is though that even if we do see a change in terms of recruitment, it will be a while before they are up and functioning.

So just settle for being pathetic right now... Makes sense.
    Had a car fire yesterday.
    Almost comparable to a structure fire....................

As far as what the rest of the country does, I really don't give a damn. You want to call 2 interior members, with no backup team and a driver exterior safe, have at it. But to me, that's a recipe for disaster should anything happen to that interior crew.

And one day, it will.
    So, which way are you going to have it? You can't play the theoretical card on one scenario, and then say you'll never have a victim rescue due to the size of your district. Which way is it? Is it black and white? Or is there a gray area now?

You are really hung up on the fact that most of time our interior ops are based on the use of the AMA engine, aren't you?
    Well personally, I am a little bit yeah. On one hand, you're supposed to be a "fire department," but you can't conduct operations until a real fire department shows up. So yeah, it bothers me a little. On the other hand, I'm thankful at least someone in Louisiana is willing to show up and do the hard work that you refuse to do.

And people die in fires. It happens. Get over it.
    That's a great attitude to have, expecially from a so-called "firefighter." "People die, get over it." Do you realize how pathetic that sounds? How low of the low of human scum that makes you? Why the hell are you even in the fire service if that's your attitude? No wonder not a damn thing has changed on your sham of a VFD. With an attitude like that, no wonder you have recruitment issues.

Maybe you are just much tougher and braver than we are, or we're just smarter and understand what can happen to the members when you try to operate short staffed.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that everyone here is tougher, braver, smarter, and has a better understanding than you or your pathetic FD.

You and going inside again......
    Kinda the best way to put the fire out..............

But he reality is that in rural areas with extended response times unless the occupants are able to self-extricate it simply is not reasonable to expect them to be viable when we arrive.
    Again, what if they've been able to relocate in the house, away from the bulk of the heat, fire and smoke, but can't make it out of the house? You're right, Mr. Progressive thinker, all knowing and understanding of the fire service. That could never happen. We don't live in a gray world, we live in a black and white world. People are either alive, or dead. There's no way they could have moved to a safer location in the house and still been viable... My mistake....

Best case for my VFD is a response time of about 8-10 minutes, and that is in the extreme southern part of the district, where the majority of the members live.

Typical case is probably 12-14 minutes in the southern 30% of the district.

And in the mid and northern parts of the district, where there is very little population and 1-2 members, we're looking at 12-15 plus, and that even is with calling the department to the north in right away, as they are equally distant.
    So, are you going to sit here and tell me, that someone who relocated to the opposite side of the house, away from the majority of the smoke, fire and heat, but is unable to get out of the house, is going to be dead in 15 minutes? Away from the fire, in a room, with the door shut, there's no chance for survival?

Pride kills.
    So does being a pathetic excuse of a firefighter.

Yadda yadda yadda. The same old tire line of bullschitt from you. Please then, do tell, how the department that Fyred described from TN, manages to accomplish more than your pathetic VFD with fewer members, apparatus, training, and a whole hell of a lot smaller budget.

So you've wasted money, wasted even more money, and then called someone in to do the actual work for you.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Forum Member

I don't know why I brought it up. If I suggest more training you would tell me that it is not reasonable to expect so much from volunteers. If I suggest more risk you would tell me that it is not reasonable for volunteers to take any risk because they don't get paid. If I suggest more dedication you would tell me that volunteering is a hobby like golf. If I suggest Sh$#canning the dead weight you would tell me that volunteering is dead in Louisiana and every one no matter capabilities is useful. If tomorrow the whole dept. quit and was replaced by a full compliment of FF1s and FF2s you would tell them not to worry, it is not their problem. So, my suggestion is to go career.
    Chenzo and ToDaRoof like this.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

Bobby.. read Chenzo's post above. I know that you will ignore the facts he put forth, but you will see a brilliant example of the use the quote function, something that you haven't yet seem to master in the 9+ years you have been here....
    FyredUp and Chenzo like this.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

That was a well done post Chenzo.
    I just barely have the REPLY WITH QUOTE thing figured out!
    But I can run the smiley face thing like a sumbitch.
    Captain Dave LeBlanc

Forum Member

BRAVO CHENZO!!! Of course, the reply will be evading pretty much everything you said, but you've definitely knocked one out of the ballpark.
    "I am an aggressive firefighter, and that is not an apology."

FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH-KTF

Forum Member

I dunno, I kinda like Fyred's multi colored thing. It really seems to drive the point home....IN COLOR!!
    IAFF

Thread Information